Awards that my great uncle would rate
Create Post

Awards that my great uncle would rate

Good afternoon,
    I am trying to verify the awards that my great uncle, Robert Webster Jr., would rate for his service during WWII. I contacted the National Personnel Records in Missouri, and they gave me a listing of his awards that he received prior to his EAS.

His dates of service were: January 13, 1942 to December 14, 1945. Honorably discharged as a Sgt.
    Awards: Purple heart with gold star, WWII Victory Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/ 2 bronze service stars, Presidential Unit Citation ribbon w/ 1 blue star.

His campaigns were:
    Roi-Namur (Battle of Kwajalein) 31 January 1944 - 7 February 1944
    Tinian and Saipan 15 June 1944 - 1 August 1944 (1 purple heart)
    Iwo Jima 19 February 1945 (1 purple heart)

After doing some research on my own, I read that he would also rate the Combat Action Ribbon, due to it being backdated. Is this correct?

Also, I was wondering about an overseas deployment ribbon, or anything else that he may rate? Any and all information is greatly appreciated... I, along with a few other Marines, presented him with his first Dress Blue uniform on 3 July 2010 and he will be attending my Ball this year, to celebrate our 236th birthday (this will be his first ball as well), and he will be wearing his Dress Blues and I want to ensure that I have everything completely accurate. Thank you!

Also, if you need more information, let me know and I can provide it!

Also, he was attached to 1/25, 4th MarDiv.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    My Honor and respect to your great uncle.

Thank you, Mongoose. I'm sure he would say the same to you for your service in Vietnam.

Does anyone know any additional awards that he may rate, that would have been back dated, or awarded after his EAS? I want to ensure that his uniform is 100% accurate for this, as this will probably be the only time that he will wear his Dress Blue uniform in his life, other than the time he took us (the Marines who presented the uniform) out to eat and he wore it then. Thank you!

Does anyone have any information on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

According to the MarAdmin for the Combat Action Ribbon, I can just have him apply with his records to have that awarded to him. Also, I was reading for the National Defense, but I don't believe WWII fell under the credentials for the National Defense.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dtunnell View Post
    Does anyone have any information on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

According to the MarAdmin for the Combat Action Ribbon, I can just have him apply with his records to have that awarded to him. Also, I was reading for the National Defense, but I don't believe WWII fell under the credentials for the National Defense.

No, the National Defense Medal is not for WWII vets.

Yes, you can have him apply to have the CAR retroactively awarded, if he rates it (which he likely does given that combat record). My father had one retro awarded for Saipan/Tinian (6th Marines). You can ask the record center to check for any other awards he may rate.

Awards were a little stingier in WWII and the Corps was stingier than the other branches (still is to a degree). My oldest daughter (Air Force) went to Afghanistan for six-months rating five ribbons. When she came back, she rated 14. Go figure.

BTW, the Presidential Unit Citation would be with one small bronze star, not blue.

Thank you, Zulu 36!

Yeah, I believe you are correct regarding the PUC. I believe his has a bronze star on it, but I guess it use to be different...? According to his records that I received from the national personnel records center it says "presidential unit citation w/ 1 blue star."

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you, Zulu 36!

Yeah, I believe you are correct regarding the PUC. I believe his has a bronze star on it, but I guess it use to be different...? According to his records that I received from the national personnel records center it says "presidential unit citation w/ 1 blue star."
    Maybe, I can't say as my father only rated one PUC and doesn't have a service star for that one.

One thing that just occurred to me is perhaps the meant "blued," meaning the metal finish applied to it.

Last edited by Zulu 36; 11-02-11 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Add 2d sentence

I'm not familiar with the "blued" term, or metal finish; can you educate me please? Thank you for all of your assistance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm not familiar with the "blued" term, or metal finish; can you educate me please? Thank you for all of your assistance.
    It's a chemical application normally used on firearms. It's often called blue-steel or just blued. It actually causes a form of protective rust on iron or steel items.

Due to many war-time metal shortages, iron or steel was substituted for things like bronze, copper, etc. They even made pennies out of steel in WWII which were given a type of blued finish.

They may well have made service stars out of iron or steel and given a blued finish to prevent harmful rust. This is just my guess.

The blue star is correct for that period, which is why it states that. Basically, the star indicated that the Marine (or sailor) was actually present for the citation, sort of a 'been there' type thing, more or less. It did not, at the time, indicate a '2nd award', (that was the normal 'bronze' star).

He *should* have a Good Conduct Medal for 3 years honorable service. No hashmarks on the blues as he did slightly over 3, and you only get those at the 4 year mark.

He should also have the 'American Campaign' medal as well.

Until he gets official word of it being awarded, he should NOT wear the Combat Action Ribbon.

Order of precedence for his ribbons should be thus:

Presidential Unit Citation, Purple Heart, American Campaign, Asiatic Pacific Campaign, WWII Victory.

FYI, based on my reading of those campaigns he was in, he should have an additional star on the APC ribbon. Stars in those days were awarded for campaign credit, not for 'number of deployments'.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The purple heart would have the senior spot on that stack.

By TODAY's rating, yes. But for WWII, no. Depends on how he wants to wear it.

Thread Information