Security Forces MOS in bootcamp
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Cool Security Forces MOS in bootcamp

I am not sure this is the best forum, but since I am a parent, I can't post to the Marie forums.
    My son is a poolie and signed-up for Security Forces (03). The recruiter told him he is accepted for PRP and that, at bootcamp, he could be asked to join FAST.
    That is really what he wants but from what I have been reading here, I don't get the impression that is really how it works.
    Can someone confirm that for me?
    Thanks alot,
    Dan Krause (... a proud parent)

Quote Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    at bootcamp
    Dan - while anything is possible, when they are at bootcamp -- they are "at bootcamp". Nobody is asking guys to go on special missions or join elite units at bootcamp.

Now, when he gets to SOI and then the Training Company he could be asked, but not "at bootcamp".

Tell him good luck, but don't lose focus on the target right in front of you.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, but is it correct that FAST is something offered later and not something you would signup for (or sign up for that track) as a poolee? and is it okay to ask for PRP now or will that hurt his chances to get into FAST.
    Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    Thanks, but is it correct that FAST is something offered later and not something you would signup for (or sign up for that track) as a poolee?
    They can, or could - sign up for the "FAST" option, or as you say - track, prior to bootcamp, but I'm not sure if they still do. My guess is they can get the UV option (which is Security Forces), but maybe not a FAST option - that might come later.

and is it okay to ask for PRP now or will that hurt his chances to get into FAST.
    PRP and FAST are polar opposites. PRP is guard duty, plain and simple. There are only a few PRP commands out there. FAST will do some guard duty, but most most of what they do, or did when I was around, involves training for crisis response. They are a Quick Reaction Force designed to back-up/reinforce/force multiply units like PRP commands and other units/places.

Good luck.

Thread Information