Blue Dress Button Help
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue Dress Button Help

Hey everyone, I'm fresh out of boot camp and need some help on my uniform. I bought an anodized brass button kit in case I needed to replace anything. In the kit are a bunch of metal rings. I know they are used to hook the buttons to the uniform somehow, but when I look at my coat, the buttons currently on them are sewn on with no metal rings. Also, I'm not sure how to remove the buttons on the lapels. I've googled for a while but couldn't find any help on how to correctly replace buttons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    -PFC Perez

Quote Originally Posted by Perez671 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm fresh out of boot camp and need some help on my uniform. I bought an anodized brass button kit in case I needed to replace anything. In the kit are a bunch of metal rings. I know they are used to hook the buttons to the uniform somehow, but when I look at my coat, the buttons currently on them are sewn on with no metal rings. Also, I'm not sure how to remove the buttons on the lapels. I've googled for a while but couldn't find any help on how to correctly replace buttons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    -PFC Perez
    You need to take them to a tailor and ask them to punch buttonholes into it. your buttons are currently not changable/removable. what the tailor does is cuts off all the buttons and puts reinforced holes in thier places. you the push the loop of the button thru your buttonhole and secure it with the metal ring

Quote Originally Posted by Marine3451 View Post
    You need to take them to a tailor and ask them to punch buttonholes into it. your buttons are currently not changable/removable. what the tailor does is cuts off all the buttons and puts reinforced holes in thier places. you the push the loop of the button thru your buttonhole and secure it with the metal ring
    These "buttonholes" are actually not. They are small round holes that are reinforced where the buttons were previously sewn in. You pop the ring of the button thru the hole and use the free round ring to secure the ring attatched to the button. They sort of look like grommet holes without the grommet. The alteration should use thread to match the blouse to reinforce the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    These "buttonholes" are actually not. They are small round holes that are reinforced where the buttons were previously sewn in. You pop the ring of the button thru the hole and use the free round ring to secure the ring attatched to the button. They sort of look like grommet holes without the grommet. The alteration should use thread to match the blouse to reinforce the hole.
    Thats pretty much exactly what i said just worded a little different

I used to operate a sewing machine for a living. Sorry about the symantics. what I was essentially saying is that he needs "Grommet holes" sewed in, not button holes.

Thats pretty much exactly what i said just worded a little different

+1

Its cool. I had mine done a few years ago and just told them to punch the holes for buttons and 30 dollars later they where done. But seriously the need to give boots a crash course on dress blues during boot camp because so many of them try to wear them during their boot leave and just end up looking like azz. I know one Marine that got married in his blues during boot leave and in his wedding pictures he isnt wearing the white belt because he said he didnt know it was part of the uniform and didnt have it

Methinks in addition to the Alphas inspection in boot camp they need to have a Dress Blues inspection as well. Now that Blues are issued in boot camp, it is UNSAT not to teach them.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Unless things have changed the buttons of original issue are not anodized. It would look about the same as having one whitewall tire to just randomly replace 1 or 2 buttons with anodized ones. The base tailor knows how to button hole a coat. Really all you gotta tell them is button hole the coat.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    Methinks in addition to the Alphas inspection in boot camp they need to have a Dress Blues inspection as well. Now that Blues are issued in boot camp, it is UNSAT not to teach them.
    They issue dress blues out of boot camp now? Go figure. All I got to wear was a ragged pair of smelly, stinking, stained, filthy, sweaty, torn, rotten jungle utes for 10 day or more at a time. I bet their blues are always fresh from the cleaners also, huh. Times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    They issue dress blues out of boot camp now? Go figure. All I got to wear was a ragged pair of smelly, stinking, stained, filthy, sweaty, torn, rotten jungle utes for 10 day or more at a time. I bet their blues are always fresh from the cleaners also, huh. Times have changed.
    Yep Im pretty sure they became standard issue back in FY 07

Yep Im pretty sure they became standard issue back in FY 07
    Well, I think that's a good thing. They sure do look snazzy. Unfortunately, I never got to wear any, couldn't afford them and no place to wear them to.

But, it's good for the young guys - and for the Corps. S/F

Thanks for the help everyone. Yeah the truth is I bought the anodized because I wanted to replace all the duller ones we're issued. My senior DI had our guide replace all his during boot and I saw the difference. And yes they really do need to at least take a minute to teach how to put the belt together. The first things we do with our dress blue coat is stuff it in our sea bags and never touch them again. I think that's what most marines out of boot camp have trouble with. Anyway thanks again for the help.

I have two pet peeves about the current wearing of the uniform by Marines, not only those fresh out of boot camp, but also those who have been in a while.

First peeve: The frame cap. I have never seen so many screwed-up versions of the frame cap. Some are of normal height from visor to crown, others are ridiculously high from visor to crown it is laughable (make that pitiful), the caps look like the ones worn by Russian officers. Someone is not teaching these new Marines how to assemble their caps properly. And those with time-in apparently don't know any better either.

Second peeve: The length of the trousers, both the green and blue. Why do Marines wear their trousers so that there is three to four inches extra length wrinkled around their ankles. Is this a reflection of the current civilian trend to wear trousers down around one's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by dibob View Post
    I have two pet peeves about the current wearing of the uniform by Marines, not only those fresh out of boot camp, but also those who have been in a while.

First peeve: The frame cap. I have never seen so many screwed-up versions of the frame cap. Some are of normal height from visor to crown, others are ridiculously high from visor to crown it is laughable (make that pitiful), the caps look like the ones worn by Russian officers. Someone is not teaching these new Marines how to assemble their caps properly. And those with time-in apparently don't know any better either.

Second peeve: The length of the trousers, both the green and blue. Why do Marines wear their trousers so that there is three to four inches extra length wrinkled around their ankles. Is this a reflection of the current civilian trend to wear trousers down around one's ass.
    Are you saying that Marines are wearing the trousers to their greens and their blues down on their hips so that you can see the cracks in their AAsses. I think that's horrible. Regarding the frame cover, are you referring to the sea-going crease?

Thread Information