Dual Military Spouse Question
Create Post

Dual Military Spouse Question

My fiance recently graduated from boot camp and is now at MCT. We plan on getting married sometime before I leave for boot camp in February so that we can be stationed together once I'm finished with training. However, my MOS is in Avionics and I hear the schooling for that is around a year long and it's in Pensacola, Florida. Would he be stationed there because of the 50 mile regulation? Or does it not apply yet since I would still be in training? Thanks for the help in advance. (:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StephanieRae View Post
    My fiance recently graduated from boot camp and is now at MCT. We plan on getting married sometime before I leave for boot camp in February so that we can be stationed together once I'm finished with training. However, my MOS is in Avionics and I hear the schooling for that is around a year long and it's in Pensacola, Florida. Would he be stationed there because of the 50 mile regulation? Or does it not apply yet since I would still be in training? Thanks for the help in advance. (:
    It won't apply because of your training status. Also the 50-mile "rule" is mostly a guideline. The Corps tries to station you at the same post or within 50-miles, but it is not in granite. Needs of the Corps rules.

Have you spoken to your recruiter about getting married before shipping? It may change your status requiring a waiver. Yes, I know hubby won't be a dependent in the strictest sense of the term, but it could still cause you a problem. It won't hurt waiting a few extra months until you get out of boot camp.

Thank you for your help! (:
    And yes, I have talked to my recruiter about it. He was for it, actually. He said there would be some paperwork we'd have to do, but he never told me we should wait. I guess we would just like to cut down on the amount of time that we're going to be seperated, but I know that's one of the things we're going to have to get used to with the Marine Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    My God bless and be with you both. That is a very big undertaking both of you are stepping into - getting married and joining the Marines!!!!! You all must be tough!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rufus1 View Post
    My God bless and be with you both. That is a very big undertaking both of you are stepping into - getting married and joining the Marines!!!!! You all must be tough!!!!
    Thank you very much! It means a lot to hear that! And I sure hope so! (:

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Me and my fiance are doing the same thing. He is currently in boot camp and I leave in March... just weeks after he graduates. I was wondering the same, if we get married the 10 days I'm free before MCT would it matter at all? I won't be dependent so I wouldn't need a waiver would I?

My fiance and I are doing something similar too. He leaves for boot camp in a little over a week, but I can't go until next summer, we plan on getting married during my ten days too.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Just so you are for warned and don't have to go through what I went through, it is illegal for a poolee to marry a marine. Make sure that he asks for permission from his CO. You will have to get a waiver and you might have your ship date pushed back or even discharged from the Marine Corps-. I wish you both the best of luck. Oh and be sure to sign up for joint spouses :-) if you want to avoid all the trouble of the waiver wait until after boot :-)

I just graduated Pensacola FL, I'll tell you one thing, take advantage of being there. Actually go out and see the beach. You won't be there for a year especially if your in Avionics, most likely a just a few months. Long as you class up.

1 month of ATT which is an intro to electronics
    1 week of AWAT (Learning Naval info)
    Then you strand
    O Strand - 3-4 Weeks
    AE - 3 Months
    I Strand - 8 Months

Then you get orders to your A school, the only way you'll stay in Florida for a year is if you get I Strand and then you go MATC which is 5900 I think.

Thread Information