Anticipating graduation date and liberty period?
Create Post

Anticipating graduation date and liberty period?

Would I be making a reasonable assumption if I were to count 13 weeks from my ship date and figure it for my approximate graduation date from recruit training? In my case my ship date being 20120514, that would put the end of week 13 right at about the second week of August (13th). Obviously this is assuming everything goes according to plan and there are no setbacks with injury or anything.

I ask because I would very much like to have my 10 days of liberty coincide with a typical family vacation that we do every year. If I could manage to some how anticipate which week that will be (with a margin of error of a couple days), I'm sure I could get everyone on board with making the vacation for that week this far in advance.

Maybe someone can elaborate a little bit on exactly how it works. Are you literally able to walk away from the graduation ceremony on liberty? Or is there some sort of day of processing out or something along those lines?

Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks!

There's a very good possibility that your shipdate can change....ship out to MCRD sooner than expected, it happens.
    In my opinion, don't count on making plans for a vacation with your family. If you do happen to ship out earlier to MCRD, after you graduate boot camp, you have your 10 day leave, then your off to MCT/SOI, and then your MOS School.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ryangassxx View Post
    Would I be making a reasonable assumption if I were to count 13 weeks from my ship date and figure it for my approximate graduation date from recruit training? In my case my ship date being 20120514, that would put the end of week 13 right at about the second week of August (13th). Obviously this is assuming everything goes according to plan and there are no setbacks with injury or anything.

I ask because I would very much like to have my 10 days of liberty coincide with a typical family vacation that we do every year. If I could manage to some how anticipate which week that will be (with a margin of error of a couple days), I'm sure I could get everyone on board with making the vacation for that week this far in advance.

Maybe someone can elaborate a little bit on exactly how it works. Are you literally able to walk away from the graduation ceremony on liberty? Or is there some sort of day of processing out or something along those lines?

Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Lesson #1 You now belong to the Corps. Your annual family vacation will either be held when it is held and you miss it due to training obligations or your family can move y'alls plans to accomodate your schedule. I think your family should plan around your schedule because I can tell you that the Corps schedule will be a priority.

On the MCRD home pages they will give ship dates and there graduation dates. You graduate on friday of the 12th week, just a few days short of 13 total weeks. That puts you at Aug. 10th if everything goes smoothly and you leave when you are suppose to. When in boot camp you will end up sending a letter to your parents telling them to wait to buy plane tickets until 3ish weeks before you graduate as to not waste there money if something is to happen.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Get used to missing weddings, funerals, birthdays, family vacations, and much much more. The Corps owns you and there is nothing you can do. Have fun!

MarinesFTW is pretty much right on. Boot camp schedules and ship dates are pretty set. If the USMC needs someone to ship early, they ask recruiters for volunteers to change their dates. Now a days, poolees don't get voluntold (being told) to change ship dates very often. However, once you hit the fleet, don't count on having a set schedule.

Thread Information