Any Tips?
Create Post

Thread: Any Tips?

Any Tips?

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips for pullups, because I'm struggling with them the most, and I know they are your "money makers" at Boot Camp. At my last Poolee Function I did 8 pullups, 80 crunches and ran an 11:25 1.5 mile run(which I had improved by 20 seconds from the last IST we did.) If anyone has any tips on how to improve in ANY of the these areas that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS: My ship date is 20120604 so I have a while to improve. Ive lost 35 lbs just from wrestling last year and keeping it off has helped a lot. Again, thank you all for your time!

I always worried about pull-ups too as a poolee. The best thing I can tell you on how to improve them is to just do them more and more everyday. I have heard of people putting a pull-up bar in a doorway and doing a few every time they pass through. Whatever it takes to help your strength, do it. For me, it was changing my grip up to palms-out and continuously doing them everyday until I shipped.

As for them being a "money maker" at boot camp, during PT's you do them a good amount, but not as often as you think. You'll definitely want to do as much as you can while you're home because after first phase in boot camp you really don't PT very often, and that's when you'll have to worry about your PFT (eventually).

What helped me the most was building my own pull up bar. I'm at 20 pullups now because I would do 3 max sets almost everyday. Also dips help.

OK, yeah I just bought an Iron Gym, and Ive been doing pullups at random times during the day. I'm hoping to be at 20 by the time I ship, but that's going to take some work, oh well, hard work never killed anyone. Ha ha.

Use the search bar, this has been covered before.

What I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethen1013 View Post
    OK, yeah I just bought an Iron Gym, and Ive been doing pullups at random times during the day. I'm hoping to be at 20 by the time I ship, but that's going to take some work, oh well, hard work never killed anyone. Ha ha.
    Good Morning Softballcatch23

I live in a one bedroom apartment, and the doorway that I have available was unsuitable.

So I bought a pullup tower. My rule.. anytime I pass it, see it, and happen to be in the room with it (it's in the living room) I have to do 5 pullups/5 chinups. That includes coming home, leaving home, food, restroom, taking out the garbage, cleaning, and even answering the door.

I have noticed increased size in my lats and traps. I'm able to do 5 pulllups and 11 chinups now. I wasn't able to do one pullup. From time to time I go out to max on my chinups, since that's the grip I'll be using for my monthly IST.

Thread Information