Queen Of The Airwaves
Create Post

Queen Of The Airwaves

"Kate Smith becamethe highest-paid performer in radio. But her real glory years came during World War II.

During those trying times, she was a tireless morale booster on the home front, moving crowds to patriotic fervor with her heartfelt versionof GOD BLESS AMERICA. She took her show on the road, entertaining at nearly every major military base..and she paid all the ecpenses herself!

In addition, her radio bond drives sold $600 million worth of War Bonds, which became a never-matched record for any celebrity.

After the war, television gradually became more popular than radio. Crities predicted that Kate would never succeed on television because of her weight...but they were wrong. With the wink of an eye and a disarmomg smile, she won over a whole new generation."

Credits
    Savings
    I remember Hanoi Hanna broad casting when I was in Vietnam telling us that they would be no mercy for any MARINES - they would all be killed.

Tokyo Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rufus1 View Post
    I remember Hanoi Hanna broad casting when I was in Vietnam telling us that they would be no mercy for any MARINES - they would all be killed.
    During WWII we had "Tokyo Rose" telling us we would all be killed.

Credits
    Savings
    She was a BIG Girl,, had a pleasent way about her,, remember listening to her when i was a kid when she was on radio,, and remember seeing her on TV ,and in movies also.

She was well respected...Never knew who that guy "Ted" was on her TV program ???
    She retired around the Philadelphia Pa, area, and became fond of the Philly Flyers, ice hocky team. and often sang for game openers there.

There was a Statue of her in front of the old Spectrum.

Thread Information