Can I wear my Cpl chevron on civilian clothing. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Old Marine
    I choose to disagree ----
    The MSG EARNED those stripes blood sweat and tears
    Granted Mama San raised the kids ( that's a job in itself I have not the patience for)
    And she put up with the Corps and him --but---back to that's not her rank

No big deal. I take a bit of an offense that she wears rank. . .is she turning her nose up at the underlings? I would prefer that she wore the EGA insignia (available through many outlets - try Sgt Grit) that are designed for spouses to wear. As was stated previously, as a wife of a Marine she earned it...the law says that after 10 years she is entitled to half of his retirement pay. The law says she's earned it. It's not easy being a dependent who is left behind while the military member goes on deployment. Getting back to my other point..if she appears to be snobbish or has an attitude about it, then I understand where you are coming from, but still, what's the big deal. Try disliking the woman and not the practice of Marine wives trying to show pride and support for their Marines.

P.S. Yes- wear your rank on an appropriate piece of civilian clothing like a hat or buy a shirt or jacket with your rank on it from any number of dealers.

Last edited by William Hardy; 04-03-12 at 07:24 PM. Reason: PS

The bottom line is that it was her husband who earned the title, not her. As a wife of a Marine, she can be an associate member of the Marine Corps League, but she will never be a Marine. If she attended one of my league meetings, I would ask her to remove it, or remove her self, because she did not earn the right to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    The bottom line is that it was her husband who earned the title, not her. As a wife of a Marine, she can be an associate member of the Marine Corps League, but she will never be a Marine. If she attended one of my league meetings, I would ask her to remove it, or remove her self, because she did not earn the right to wear it.
    And, if she refused. Looks like we are forgetting this is a civilian we are talking about who happens to have been or is married to a Marine and is either wearing it as to show support for her husband or to flaunt it. That should be up to the women who do not like it to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    And, if she refused. Looks like we are forgetting this is a civilian we are talking about who happens to have been or is married to a Marine and is either wearing it as to show support for her husband or to flaunt it. That should be up to the women who do not like it to figure out.
    Gunny, it is also a Marine Corps League meeting. As such she or he has to abide by the rules of the Marine Corps League, and the rules of the Detachment. Members are required to abide by those rules. Detachments may adopt rules in addition to those set forth by the National Marine Corps League, as per the by-laws.. Generally speaking, everyone that are full members in the Marine Corps League are civilians, having served their obligation. We also have several Officers, and Recruiters that are still serving on active duty. Therefore, your argument that the person in question is a civilian has no standing, other than the fact that they are an associate member. Being the wife of a Marine is admirable, but the fact remains is that they, themselves are not Marines unless they have earned the title. My wife was a Marine wife, but she is not entitled to wear a Marines Chevrons, or any other part of the uniform just because I am a Marine.

Furthermore, where do you draw the line? Would you think it is right for a spouse to wear a Medal of Honor, Silver Star, etc; because the Marine they were married to was awarded it? We have several Iwo Jima Marines in our detachment, and was awarded several high medals. Their wives are associate members, not Marines, and not entitled to wear their medals or any part of the Marine uniform.

There are a lot of ways for a spouse to show support for her spouse that is a Marine, but this is not the right way.

Don't know much about the MCL. (VFW Life Member) Maybe this wife who wears his chevrons does so because he is now deceased, I do not know, nor do you. This BAM Gunnery Sgt. should take it upon herself to ask the lady and take appropriate action.

All I can do is agree to disagree, as I do not see anything wrong with it. As far as his medals, you are right she does not need to wear them. Since everything about the Marine Corps is so PC these days I would like to see a MCO that states that she cannot wear this mans chevrons. We are talking about the metal chevrons that are worn on the utility uniform.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I dont see the problem here with her wearing the chevrons.
    I too am in an MCL Detachment, I was also the adjutant, I just dont see the problem. Wearing medals, yes I wouldnt want to see that...but chevrons,,, no big deal.

My suggestion for the Marine Gunny is to meet with the Commadant of the Detachment, along with the Detachment Judge Advocate, and make her concerns and views known.
    Her concerns will be reviewed and researched, and if necessary the Commadant and the Judge Advocate can seek additional counsel on the State, Regional, and National Level to resolve the issue.

Even if the State, Regional, and National has a problem with it, or no problem with it, the by-laws allow for a detachment to implement rules on the local level that could prevent this type of issue.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Are there Detachment By-laws stating that a civilian can not wear chevrons?
    Is she wearing them on a uniform?
    I know of no National by-laws prohibiting such.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only by-laws that National have is in the wearing of the MCL uniform, such as if you wear ribbons, they have to be either what the Marine Corps authorized you to wear OR MCL ribbons, No wearing both Marine Corps & MCL ribbons together. No wearing ribbons on the MCL cover either, but Marines do that all the time... THAT drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    Are there Detachment By-laws stating that a civilian can not wear chevrons?
    Is she wearing them on a uniform?
    I know of no National by-laws prohibiting such.
    Chuck,
    That was my point. A Detachment could if they so chose, have a rule that would prevent it at a MCL Detachment meetings. I have no idea of the particulars in this case are. That's why I suggested that the Gunny meet with the local Detachment Commadant and the local Detachment Judge Advocate for clarification and resolve the issue. Like you, I know of NO National By-Laws that prevent it, but I will research it. I have a copy.

I do know that this is a heated topic in a lot of military services. I just ran it by a Full Bird in the last twenty minutes, and I can't post his reply. You would have thought that Chesty had been re-incarnated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Would love to know the end result of this...

Credits
    Savings
    Well-----
    This is one of those "choose your battles wisely" items.
    As long as there is no disrespect or impersonating- is it worth a big Ho Har ?

Fully agree with post #15.

Sorry, my above post is wrong.

I ment to say that I agree with post #28. Fingers don't seem to be working lately.

Thread Information