Can I wear my Cpl chevron on civilian clothing.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can I wear my Cpl chevron on civilian clothing.

Just wondering if anyone has any issues with me wearing a Cpl chevron on my work shirt for Birthday/Veterans Day. Its a polo shirt would just put it above the logos.

Credits
    Savings

Chevron.....................

I personally do not have a problem with it if it is done with out some hippie dishonorable way I remember when i got out in 1970 and the rage was to wear military insignia with dishonor.
    I'm sure you are not Cpl Semper Fi Marine Moz 68-70

Go nuts, can't see a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnerRabbit View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any issues with me wearing a Cpl chevron on my work shirt for Birthday/Veterans Day. Its a polo shirt would just put it above the logos.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...20Uniforms.asp

This next link talks about encouraging wearing medals and decorations by vets but does not address rank. One would infer from the spirit of the order it would be okay.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor.../medalwear.htm

I have worn my LCpl insignia on every cover I have ever worn since getting out as well as the EGA. I also wear it on my Marine Corps jackets and other clothing articles. It has always been in a respectful manner consistent with good taste and reverence. I just love that I am a Marine and do not hesitate to let everyone else know. Oooooh.......(wait on it).......Raaaahhhhhh!!!

Depends if you go by the Marine Corps Uniform Regulations. (pretaining to active duty or retired )

f. No part of a prescribed uniform, except those items which are not exclusively military in character, will be worn with civilian clothing.
    (1) Items authorized for wear with civilian clothing by men are restricted to the gold cuff links, studs, tie bar, mourning band, footwear, socks, gloves, undergarments, black bow-tie, green wool scarf, general purpose trunks, and crew neck service sweater, the all-weather coat, tanker jacket, dress blue sweater and personally owned extreme cold weather jackets (gortex) without grade insignia, watch caps, and cold weather physical training uniforms without insignia decals.
    (2) Uniform items authorized for wear with civilian clothing by women are restricted to the white shirt without insignia of grade, footwear, gloves, handbag, clutch purse, mourning band, crew neck service sweaters, green wool scarf, general purpose trunks, and the all-weather coat, extreme cold weather jacket (gortex), tanker jacket or the dress blue sweater without insignia of grade, watch caps, and cold weather physical training uniforms without insignia decals.
    (3) Uniform items that have been declared obsolete may be worn with civilian clothing, when appropriate, provided such items contain no distinctive insignia or buttons.

Personally I see people who wear their army , navy and AF stuff all the time attached to their civilian clothes.

I however, feel that wearing anything such as chevrons on gimme hats, t-shirts etc is bad taste. But thats just me.

Too late now, but FWIW

Have at it.

I'm not a fan of a Marine, half-ass wearing a uniform after they have gotten out. But to put a simple chevron, or other small thing like that on your civilian gear will only get you a high five by me. You earned it.

Thanks for your service, Semper Fi

Uniform regs don't pertain to civilians so go for it.

Concur with Top on this. GO for it! Be proud!

I agree. Go for it. I have done it myself.
    As long as it is done with respect and pride, it should be no problem. I wear a shinny brass Gunny chevron on my USMC ball cap. It's a sign of honor and pride.
    Semper Fi

What about Marines wives wearing their husbands rank insignia on civilian clothing? I know a woman whose husband is in my MCL detachment and she wears his MSgt insignia all the time. How do you all feel about that? (Makes me sick to my stomach but I seem to be the only one in the detachment that it bothers).

Credits
    Savings
    Opinion on her----
    SHE hasn't earned it and should not be wearing insignia

Jarhead lady - it seems strange to me that the wifes only identity is by her husbands rank insignia, but I guess to her it is like a lettermans jacket. I also do not like it.

If she is the wife of a MSGT. she has probably been in the Corps for at least 20 years. What's the big deal if she wears his chevron. She earned it raising his kids.

Credits
    Savings
    Old Marine
    I choose to disagree ----
    The MSG EARNED those stripes blood sweat and tears
    Granted Mama San raised the kids ( that's a job in itself I have not the patience for)
    And she put up with the Corps and him --but---back to that's not her rank

Thread Information