MOS information
Create Post

Thread: MOS information

njdevilsfan427
    Guest Free Member

MOS information

Hello all, I scored over 120 on all my line scores on the ASVAB so my recruiter told me I can do anything in the Marine Corps that I want. I just would like to hear from some current/former Marines about their MOS, if they liked it and what all you do. Right now I'm looking into intel/aviation/communication so if any of you were in that MOS field I would really appreciate a response. thanks

I already read the sticky from 0231Marine about the 0231 MOS and thank you very much for taking the time to write that, it was very informative and gave me a lot of the info I was looking for on that MOS. Reguardless of this, I would still appriciate some intel MOS related responses.

Thanks

I'm in the 06xx field.
    More specifically I'm an 0621 Field Radio Operator.
    I'd say that Comm is one of the most needed fields in the Marine Corps.
    Without comm there isn't anything getting done.

I scored similar to you on the ASVAB. I was basically told that i could do literally anything i wanted to do in the Marines. I'm a ****ing grunt and i love my job. Its fulfilling and its what the Marine Corps is about. I have sat in a freezing hold for days at a time and hated my life but i couldnt imagine doing anything else in the Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnett20110425 View Post
    I'm in the 06xx field.
    More specifically I'm an 0621 Field Radio Operator.
    I'd say that Comm is one of the most needed fields in the Marine Corps.
    Without comm there isn't anything getting done.
    Your high. Comm rarely works anyways. But also you just graduated boot camp less than a month ago and think radio operators are what we need? We have battalions going through Viper right now missing 200+ personnel. Dont listen so much to what your MCCS instructors tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnips View Post
    Your high. Comm rarely works anyways. But also you just graduated boot camp less than a month ago and think radio operators are what we need? We have battalions going through Viper right now missing 200+ personnel. Dont listen so much to what your MCCS instructors tell you.
    What the he!!. He didn't ask for people to dis other's MOS's. His specific question is: "I just would like to hear from some current/former Marines about their MOS, if they liked it and what all you do. Right now I'm looking into intel/aviation/communication so if any of you were in that MOS field I would really appreciate a response. thanks"

Barnett comes here and answers his question, and you crap on Barnett's response with your holier than thou response. Oh, yeah, sure, Barnett has been in the Corps about 6 months, and you in all your two years must be the wise old sage, right?

Time and again you hijack threads with condescending remarks toward any Marine who was/is not a grunt. I have the utmost greatest respect for grunts and for what they do. However, just how many Marines on this site who put in 20+ years and were not a grunt do you think there might be? You disrespect those Marines!

You might do well to go read the rules, young man, that the one asking the question must follow, and then you might do well to remember that you lead by example.

Site Rule:
    "Another....disrespect. Hey, I don't come into YOUR house and poop on your kitchen floor, do I? No. You wouldn't be very happy if I walked up to your front door and started telling you what a jerk you are, would you? No. Well, consider this little part of the internet the Marines "house". You...are a GUEST here. Disrespect gets you permabanned with no questions asked. Period. Usually with some sort of pithy commentary from me so everyone knows exactly why you are being booted."

Okay. We've got it, Mr. Snips, you are a grunt. We know. In nearly every post of yours you reminds us. (Funny thing is, you see, the best grunts I ever met were the ones who did not advertise it, but that's an aside.)

The Marine Corps is not made up of 100% infantry. Being 03xx is fantastic, but there are numerous other MOS's, and your "pooping" on anybody who is something different than 03xx is not welcomed.

Stick to the thread.

Last edited by MOS4429; 11-09-11 at 03:49 PM. Reason: edit

Credits
    Savings
    Isn't there a site that briefs all the MOS's ?

Maybe on ************* ?

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Isn't there a site that briefs all the MOS's ?

Maybe on ************* ?

I'll be helpful then...

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/02.htm

Do you enjoy working in an office or do you want to be more on the ground?

What do you see yourself doing in the Marines? Do you want to be hands on with other Marines giving briefs or do you want to be behind the scenes analyzing things?

Asking such a broad question makes it difficult for us to tell you since we dont know you what you want to do or what you enjoy doing. If we knew a little more about what you are trying to accomplish there will be more we can do to help you. However simply asking for stories of how intel is will be difficult because even though many many Marines rely on it we will all have different opinions on it and how it has affected us. On my end seeing what Intel does for me will be way different from what they actually do. My self as infantry i end up seeing much more of the final product of the Intel Marines put together and find important to pass on through the massive amounts of raw information they receive.

njdevilsfan427
    Guest Free Member
    Yeah there is a site, its about.com, I have looked at it but I just wanted peoples perspectives of their job. Personal experiences and whatnot. Thanks to those that responded. Hopefully more do.

My name is my MOS. I listed it that way in case any others who were in that mos register and would recognize it. 4400 is legal. Everybody joins the Marine Corps for their own personal reasons.

Mine was to get out of town, not become a bum at the local JC, and to sign up for an MOS that would teach me a skill I could apply in the civilian world. I joined the Marine Corps because if I was going to join the military, I would only join the best. Two brothers ahead of me joined the Marine Corps. One was 0311 and went on embassy duty, hated it. Later he was in a grunt unit and loved it. Eventually he became a sniper and loved that even more. My other brother went open contract and was 0331. He got real tired of packing that M-60 around and when given the opportunity to leave a direct grunt unit and work in a security vault, he jumped on it and enjoyed that.

Legal was a tight-knit group. You work with a JAG officers and Staff JAGs, judges, and other legal personnel. I enjoyed it a lot, but if you do not want to work in an administrative field, you do not want legal. As a 4421, there are duty stations open around the world, including most embassies. I was never a 4421 but a 4425 initially, and had three choices. East, West, or over there (Okinawa.) The work was mostly 0730 to 1630. I worked with a lot of Marines I respected a lot, quite a few lateral transfers from 0300. Sometimes they found the adjustment tough, but didn't take long to get used to. Later I became a 4429, an MOS that unfortunately the Marine Corps got rid of several years ago.

One of my best friends from PA was in legal with me, and he joined in order to take advantage of the GI Bill. But while at El Toro accomplished all of his general ed from Saddleback Comm College so when he got out transferred to Penn State.

So there are other advantages to POG MOS's that don't meet the eye.

I wasn't saying that comm was the best mos.
    Don't blame us operators for the system crashing that stuff just happens.
    I originally wanted to be a grunt, didn't wanna wait so long for the contract.
    Now I'm glad that I chose comm. Anyways being a RO I could be attached to
    a variety of units. That's one of the reasons that I love it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnett20110425 View Post
    I wasn't saying that comm was the best mos.
    Don't blame us operators for the system crashing that stuff just happens.
    I originally wanted to be a grunt, didn't wanna wait so long for the contract.
    Now I'm glad that I chose comm. Anyways being a RO I could be attached to
    a variety of units. That's one of the reasons that I love it so much.
    Yeah came off as a dick its whatever. I understand its not your fault its more a gripe with Marine Corps comm in general than any of the people doing it.

And yeah as comm you have a pretty good likely hood of going to a grunt unit. When do you graduate from MCCS?

Thread Information