I want to be an officer, but I'm worried about afterwards
Create Post

Question I want to be an officer, but I'm worried about afterwards

I would really like to join the US Marine Corp, but I am worried about what I would do after my active duty. I was hoping you could help me figure this out, because I would hate not to join

I currently go to college, where I study Business Administration. I know I could have a good job right after graduation, but I don't want to be stuck doing a 9-5 job while Im still in my youth. I'm in extremely good shape, and want to make myself useful in the best, most honorable way possible - by serving my country. I mean hell, freedom isn't free.

However, if I join I'm worried I would be throwing away my (expensive) education. I want to join for a least 4 years as an officer, but I don't know if I would be able to get the same kind of jobs after my service. And I'm worried that I will lose the knowledge I've gained in school by not working in a business setting for 4 years. Another possibility would be to attend Graduate school after the Marines, but I don't know how that process would work. Would being an officer for 4 years give me enough $ to go to Grad school? I also heard there might be programs set up through the Marine Corp to help you get to graduate school. But I know nothing about that.

I tried doing research, but I think talking to actual Marines with both experience and knowledge on the subject would be best. Let me know all you know, no matter how small I would appreciate any input...because I REALLY want to join the Armed forces. I'm just too worried I won't be in a good situation afterwards.

Would Reserves be a good option for me? That way I could still work in business? Honestly, I dont know what too do. Any input would be helpful. I need to figure this out

THANKS!
    Semper Fi

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If money is your concern, then the Marine Corps is not the way you want to go. After I graduated from one of the most expensive colleges in the country, I went enlisted. I could make more money with unemployment checks ha. Of course, in the near future I'll be going officer, but for now I'm learning ways to be a great leader. I'm doing what I love.

Connor - here's the deal...

Serving as an officer of Marines - even for one tour - will greatly enhance your job options over entering the workforce with just your bachelor's degree. Your business degree has imparted a great deal of knowledge - knowledge that just about every other business degree graduate has.

Serving as an officer of Marines, you won't lose that knowledge - and in addition, you will gain:

1. Leadership experience -- learning how to get people to do things they ordinarily wouldn't want to do, and learning how to get the best out of people.

2. Planning experience -- one of the biggest things I've noticed in my civilian career is that my peers in business don't know how to plan for the future. They don't understand the relation of strategy to daily, weekly, and monthly actions and decisions. They don't understand the fundamentals of getting from "A" to "B".

3. Decision Making experince -- seriously, very, very few people in business know how to make a decision. Instead, they form committees, have meetings, and pussy-foot around making a decision so as to avoid having to take responsibility if it fails. Often, they make decisions by exception -- meaning that they kind of half-way prepare and then react to whatever happens.

4. You will know how to get things done in a timely manner -- again, a huge failing I see amongst my corporate peers is that they don't know how to get stuff done. They don't know when to delegate and when to do something themselves. They complain about lack of resources, don't know how to put together a simple plan, assign tasks, execute, supervise, and hold people accountable for their work. Just about every Marine who reads this will know what I'm talking about -- you get an order tasking, you look at your resources available, you ask for additional support (and frequently get told "no"), you put together a quick plan, brief your folks, and execute -- and as a Marine, you do that daily -- it is second nature. In the business world, people agonize over stuff like that.

Personally, I would hire a veteran -- especially an NCO or higher, and/or combat arms background -- for most positions over someone with an equivalent number of years experience in the business world. I can teach someone the ins and outs of my business -- but I can't take the time out to teach them the four items listed above.

Keep in mind, in this current economic and political climate, it may be more difficult to earn a commission in the Marine Corps than it is to get into a graduate school. Competition for an OCS slot is stiff -- so make sure that you are doing everything you can to set yourself apart - grades, physical fitness, no trouble with the law, excellent references / recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by birdmanjr View Post

I currently go to college, where I study Business Administration.
    No offense, but a BSBA in today's world carries as much weight as one in underwater basket weaving. Maybe a MBA from phoenix university will get you the GM job at Taco Bell, but that might be a stretch. ANYBODY can get a BSBA and there are thousands of unemployed BSBA grads out there looking for work. So, get in line.

Or man up and try to join the Corps.

Then again, after talking with an OSO last week -- your degree isn't gonna get you too far in the Officer Corps. It might, but I was told last week by the OSO that college grads with Masters are being turned away.

03Mike hit the rest of the major points, but my other two cents says you will be MORE marketable after serving as a USMC Officer then you ever will be as a college grad with a BSBA. Heck, you'd be more marketable as a career LCPL with a good record than you would with only that degree. But that's just my two cents.

Good luck.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Connor, like Mike I was a career officer, only the Navy. I was trained not only to be an aviator but also a leader. During my service, I progressed up the ladder not only in rank but also in responsibility

Think of any branch as a large corporation. Over the years you'll be promoted and given more and more responsibilities. If you succeed you'll be noticed and promoted once again.

From my own personal experience, I have never regretted my time in service. The rewards far outweighed the bs.

As for the future, a time in service to your country can only be viewed as a positive. Anything you can do to stand out among other job candidates will give you an edge

For Mike

"Occupied Virginia"? LOL Major, it's time to give up the ghost and come and join us real Virginians. Screw those yankee carpetbaggers

Dan

After thinking about it, I think I was a little harsh in comparing a BSBA to underwater basket weaving. it's certainly an accomplishment and much better than some of the degrees given these days, including basket weaving.

But I stand by the fact that an Honorable discharge from the Corps will make you much more marketable in the future as compared to the "other" guy with only a BSBA.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by birdmanjr View Post
    I would really like to join the US Marine Corp, but I am worried about what I would do after my active duty. I was hoping you could help me figure this out, because I would hate not to join

I currently go to college, where I study Business Administration. I know I could have a good job right after graduation, but I don't want to be stuck doing a 9-5 job while Im still in my youth. I'm in extremely good shape, and want to make myself useful in the best, most honorable way possible - by serving my country. I mean hell, freedom isn't free.

However, if I join I'm worried I would be throwing away my (expensive) education. I want to join for a least 4 years as an officer, but I don't know if I would be able to get the same kind of jobs after my service. And I'm worried that I will lose the knowledge I've gained in school by not working in a business setting for 4 years. Another possibility would be to attend Graduate school after the Marines, but I don't know how that process would work. Would being an officer for 4 years give me enough $ to go to Grad school? I also heard there might be programs set up through the Marine Corp to help you get to graduate school. But I know nothing about that.

I tried doing research, but I think talking to actual Marines with both experience and knowledge on the subject would be best. Let me know all you know, no matter how small I would appreciate any input...because I REALLY want to join the Armed forces. I'm just too worried I won't be in a good situation afterwards.

Would Reserves be a good option for me? That way I could still work in business? Honestly, I dont know what too do. Any input would be helpful. I need to figure this out

THANKS!
    Semper Fi
    It's Marine Corps....
    and try reading the site rules.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Echo what the Major and Commander said.

Personal example: my undergrad is in music performance from a conservatory of music. I came in with mindset that I wanted to serve those that serve. As far as MOSes, I originally wanted to be an 0302 (like most other people) but gradually found that what I was better suited and enjoyed the prospect of being a 3404, which I am now. Also, I just finished my MBA from Webster University (so I guess I am now qualified for Taco Bell; or since Webster is a brick and mortar school, maybe some place classier like CiCi's Pizza...). So, yes -- serving as a leader is pertinent, there are several 'transferable' MOSes, and you can work toward your MBA.

But let me restate that leading Marines needs to be your driving motivation for pursuing a commission in the Marine Corps. If leadership and mentorship are not your top priorities, I'd encourage you to look to another branch or to some other job. Last thing we need is another self-interested officer in a position of authority (just my $.02).

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thewookie is right about OSO turning from college grads. They are more interested in sophmores and juniors for that PLC program.

Or, after all this being said, you can just be a young man, listen to your heart, and join he Corps. I've raised four boys. None of them have joined the Corps, but they've all followed their hearts, and doing well. Trust yourself, trust God, and be a young man in the here and now. Success, however you define it, will come. Semper Fi Richard

Just one more thought, Bird. If you really want to serve your country, join the United States Marine Corps, and don't do it half-heartedly, go for 4 active! Semper Fidelis!

Gee I'd hate to see you throw away an expensive B.A. degree leading Marines. You obviously are concerned more about yourself and what the Corps can do for you, instead of what you can do for the Corps. If you want something to put on the resume Go Guard!

If you join the Corps, you're going to be serving the Corps....and serving your brothers, your fellow Marines. Think about that. It's like having a kid. Once that kid hits the deck, your life is over. He owns your ass.

LOL. Great answers Marines. Well said, Sir(s).

Thread Information