Uz/ Marsoc
Create Post

Thread: Uz/ Marsoc

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Uz/ Marsoc

Hello first off thanks for taking the time to read and answer my post.

I have done an incredible amount of research on all of this and can't seem to find the right info or any up to date info.

1. Do UZ contracts still exist and what are the requirements to obtain one?

2. Do officers go into the field on MARSOC missions or do they lead from the back?

I know these question may have already been answered somewhere else but I can't find them anywhere. If they have I'm sorry and if you could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for the most current info

Thank You.

The HZ is the present Code for the Recon Program. Yes it does exist!!!
    Prereq
    -GT of 105(no waivers)
    -able to obtain a Secret Clearance
    - swimming a must-
    -Physically fit----

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info oscrmyr.

To clarify my MARSOC question:
    I'm just wondering if commisioned officers are team leaders or if this is mainly for NCOs and commisioned officers lead from the back.

Sorry for any confusion
    Thanks

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SC13 View Post
    Thanks for the info oscrmyr.

To clarify my MARSOC question:
    I'm just wondering if commisioned officers are team leaders or if this is mainly for NCOs and commisioned officers lead from the back.

Sorry for any confusion
    Thanks

Depending on the team size and mission there may or may not be an officer leading. If there is, he/they will be right there with everyone else. SNCOs and NCOs will do 80% of the leadership in any case.

NCO led patrols are probably quite common. There aren't enough officers to lead them all.

Larger MarSOC units will be commanded by more senior officers who will not go into the field as often as the company grade officers - just like regular units. But this doesn't mean they aren't out there when needed. Field grade officers are expected to plan and command from a little way back, not lead a bayonet charge up the hill (although some have done so).

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Zulu 36

I'm just tryin to gain all the info I can. Im currently a junior in college and I am trying to decide between going the officer route and trying out for Recon or MARSOC or enlist with the HZ and then try out for MARSOC. I know I have over a year to decide but I'm just trying to get all the info possible so I can make the right decision. I know what ever path I choose I will be happy because I will have earned the title of being a US Marine and that is worth more than anything.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Time to decide. If you want to go to the Darkside, you need to see an Officer Selection Officer (OSO) soon. Enlisted can wait a bit longer, but you can go see a recruiter now for info.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Zulu for setting me straight on the officer route. Just curious, why do you refer to the officer route as the "Darkside?"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My Son while He was an 0-3 (Capt.) With the 1OTh Mountain Div,(Special Forces) In the Stan,Did Joint Op's With MARSOC,SEALS,...Had a level 3 Intel,Lindquist however You Spell it? He went on Numerious Snatch and Grab Missions,and was in Charge of all His Subornites.Hand's On...Now He is a Lt.Col,and is still Very Active in tha Intel. and Planning of Op's!!! He told Me there was No SEAL Or MARINE That was Fluent in Arabic,with the different Dialics!!!Alot of Brawn but not too Smart

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks Zulu for setting me straight on the officer route. Just curious, why do you refer to the officer route as the "Darkside?"

It's an inside joke, a play on Jedi and Sith from Star Wars. Much nicer than some of the slang terms the Brits have for officers.

Credits
    Savings
    That sounds pretty interesting FistFu. To be honest with you I still haven't ruled out the SEALs or SF/Rangers. Like I said I'm still just trying to get as much info on the subjects I have stated before making a decision but at the same time busting my hump everyday to be physically ready no matter what I choose. I just want to make sure I make the right choice for me.

By the way FistFu, how does your son like the 10th Mountain Div and SF in general?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My PaPa was a Lifer...In that Unit,one of many during His time in tha RA(Regular Army) and He had a Great Influence on Jesse~~~My Son Loves it...He also Served with tha 1st.Bn.75Th Rangers,Tha 101St.& 82Nd...Respectfully...But He jumped at tha Chance too Go Back 2 tha 10Th...Semper Fi and GoodLuck

I know I have over a year to decide
    Wrong. You are way behind the power curve. You need to see an OSO ASAP! Once you graduate your officer contract falls under a different quota and is far more competitive than current college students. Most Naval ROTC (Marine Option) college juniors have already attended a session of OCS.

Go speak to an OSO as soon as possible. Just because you speak to them, does not mean you are obligated. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks afraziaaaa, but to be honest I am seriously considering enlisting and attempting to get an HZ. If no HZ, then try-out for BRC at SOI and then later try out for MARSOC. Then maybe applying for OCS later in my career, just depends on how the cards play out.

Credits
    Savings
    Just wanted to make another note I know not everyone gets to tryout for BRC at SOI. But if I don't get to it's ok my final goal is to tryout for MARSOC. And none of these decisions are rash decisions, I have done plenty of research on all topics discussed.

Thread Information