Vietnam: It’s show time. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Photographers in Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Thing is, there wasn't anyone around filming us. Haven't seen one thing about Marine grunts, showing the way it really was. If they had, the War Dept. would have banned it.
    Hadn't thought about it in awhile but I don't remember even seeing a photographer. And very few correspondants . There were no Joe Galloways in our area.

(The one correspondant that I remember was when we first went to the DMZ there was a pretty red- haired lady standing beside the battalion commander in the elephant grass as we filed by . French I think .)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish99 View Post
    Hadn't thought about it in awhile but I don't remember even seeing a photographer. And very few correspondants . There were no Joe Galloways in our area.

(The one correspondant that I remember was when we first went to the DMZ there was a pretty red- haired lady standing beside the battalion commander in the elephant grass as we filed by . French I think .)
    We had a Life Mag. reporter/photog. that boarded our H34 at DaNang one mornin,but he couldn't get a good hold on anything to get in and set,as we went out out over water he took a swim....
    SEMPER FI...................Ed

The DHD broadcast was pretty good. They even covered how the general public treated us like outcasts when we came back. That is probably what I will remember the most about my two years in country. At least now the guys are getting respect, however I feel now that they are being used totally for political purposes.

Drugs - Yeah I remember people using drugs. I was making my rounds one night as Sgt of the Guard and caught a couple of guys on guard duty smoking dope. I put my 1911 to ones head and told him the next time I saw this, he would no longer be part of our company. Well, that's not exactly what I said, but you get the drift. Funny, I never had that problem again. And, I don't know about doing drugs "off duty". I don't know about the guy who made that comment, but I was never off duty.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    After a long Weekend My Ole Company Gunny say's Jack when the S.P's dropped your YoungButt off at tha Gate You were Dragging Your Dick Son,I goes Yes Sir Gunny...But I'm Good 2 go now!!! Does tha Fact that Dragging My DICK Technically make a DRUGGIE...After all I was on MORPHINE every 4 hrs for 11 Months...For Wounds Recieved in tha Line Of Duty,Not Misconduct!!!...F**k I could drink a Bottle of Jack D Myself and Still get Back too Tha Ship...and I ain't talking a 1/2 Pint Either...

I recorded the Vietnam movie, so far, I'm into the second part, it's all army. Even when they talk about Marines it's army guys going in on Huey's and they don't look like any Marines I ever saw. Real disappointment so far.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    i watch the 69/70 series,it seems what iseen was some marines,i heard dong ha mentioned ,got a far as the part of vets protesting the war, i didnt like being there but it came a point i thought i was not going to make it,than i got short i used to count seconds that way i knew time was not standing still, weird i know. i didnot take many pic dont remember anybody taking pic, maybe they did there were some photographers in quang tri city, excuse me Russ my mouth kinda runeth over, i get a break in the snow iwill be back in the mountains firewood seasons, lot of cute snow bunnies come to ski and need wood, s/f

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This past Veterans Day I’ve received more dirty looks from people while doing some shopping for the week. I told myself yep, they must have been watching that new HD Vietnam series on TV because I felt those bad feelings I felt back when I came home from those protesters in Seattle. I have no need to watch that series why watch what you lived through once. I only had two people told me thank you for my service, and two others who said Happy Veterans D, and I replied to the two right to their faces,….

“You’re such a MORON, Veterans Day isn’t a Happy holiday you dumb A$$; it’s a day of reflection of the dead we (America) lost in all wars from 1776-2011 !” This is the first Veterans day that I felt really angry. I notice this in myself the older I become the less patience I have for people.

AS for News people in Nam, I saw only one who wanted to go on patrol with us, and we told him NO, could have been freelancer he wasn‘t from a network. I spoke to a reporter from stars and stripes one day I don’t even remember for what, hum, don’t mean nothing.

Some of the guys would take those pictures holding their weapons to send back home to look cool many of those guys were new in country or had only a couple of weeks in. I did take any picture until I became a (short timer) feeling cool with my short timer stick adding a new notch each day until that freedom bird landed. I had a punch of pictures by that time but when time came to leave those dudes in DaNang made me dumb my sea bag, and taken all those pictures. So don’t feel bad guys if you have no pictures…..I’m rambling, I’ll stop.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    i have never gone to any veteran get togeather...i dont want any thank you for your service bs form those who had nothing good to say to me for more then 30 years after i got home....i still obay the last orders i got when getting off the plane in sunny Cali....keep a low profile because your not very well liked back here in the US
    i did watch the nam flick....only stured up bad memories...still dont know who all made it home and who didnt....cant help feeling like i let them down by leaving them behinde

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    i have never gone to any veteran get togeather...i dont want any thank you for your service bs form those who had nothing good to say to me for more then 30 years after i got home....i still obay the last orders i got when getting off the plane in sunny Cali....keep a low profile because your not very well liked back here in the US
    i did watch the nam flick....only stured up bad memories...still dont know who all made it home and who didnt....cant help feeling like i let them down by leaving them behinde
    Montana you said it all
    Only thing I have to add is that I taped the series but can't and won't watch it until my wife is sitting with me and then can't watch it all. I do think it is good that people can see kinda the way it was but you don't know unless you were there.
    Guess I always want to keep it in my mind for my brothers that didn't make it back and for thoes of us that did.
    I still feel guilty that I made it home and never got wounded.
    I am proud to know Marines like all of you and can call you all brothers.
    Semper Fi Buddy

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The History channel aired it on Veterans day, Thought that was kinda stupid on their part to act as if the show were a gift from them to veterans. Nobody showed you guys any appreciation when you got back and treated you like sh*t, Now in 2011 they want to make a show about the sh*t YOU lived to present to YOU on Veterans day.. Good job, History.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    They are EXPLOTING US For $$$$$$$

I finally stopped watching the damn thing, what bs. It was total army even Ky Son was about the army on some hill, nothing about the Marines. Don't waste your time like I did.

Never watched it,didn't plan on watching it and glad I didn't...It would have started some nasty stuff going on in my head and I don't want that...nuff said....
    SEMPER FI......................Ed

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What I have seen of this show left me underwhelmed.

As advanced states it's all Army so my interest level was contingent on my perceptions and their approach to the history/facts.
    (If we are talking the same series).

No...I don't pretend to know all the facts but when they said (like 2 or 3 times) that Ia Drang was a 'victory' I lost interest.
    We all have our perspectives.

Just my take on it.....carry on.

Thread Information