Top Secret clearance requirements, immediate family must be *born* in the US?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Secret clearance requirements, immediate family must be *born* in the US?

Long story short, I had to miss my ship date of Oct. 11th due to me being misdiagnosed with a hernia.

As such I lost my contract for Intel (Not sure of the actual contract "code"), I go in today to talk to my NCO about my new ship date and he mentions I lost the contract, no biggy, I'll wait to get it again.

Then for the first time, he dropped this on me. I won't be able to re-sign because my father was not born in the US. This resulting in me not being able to hold a top-secret clearance. All of my family lives in the US currently and are US citizens, I was 99.9% sure this was the requirement.

I smelled b.s. as soon as he said it, but I'm looking for someone that has experience/knows about these types of things. My office is notorious for doing this kind of ****..getting the contract to begin with was a major p.i.a. I had to end up drawing the line and saying "I ship with intel, or I don't ship" 8 months later, voila.

Anyways, thanks for the help Marines.

Not sure if it matters, but my dad was born in Europe. (Yugoslavia)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It doesn't matter where your father was born. It is not an automatic disqualifier for a TS clearance. My ex was born in Cuba and she got a TS clearance in the Coast Guard without any problems. Only one of her brothers was a US citizen besides her.

Thank you very much Sgt.

I couldn't say anything at the time because quite frankly I did not know, I like to have all of the facts.

Someone sent me this:

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm

If I am reading it correctly, I should have no problems. Let me know if I am misreading.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recruit0231 View Post
    Someone sent me this:

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm

If I am reading it correctly, I should have no problems. Let me know if I am misreading.

That is a very brief overview of the US State Department procedure, but the DoD isn't far off. The big trick is being 110% honest on the SF-86, to your recruiter, and to any interviewers. Lie to them and they find out, it's all over for a TS clearance.

Note that the background investigators do not decide whether you get a clearance or not, although sometimes they make a recommendation against. The final decision is left up to an adjudicating authority, normally your unit commanding officer.

I had a TS clearance too at one point. When I left the billet and no longer required top secret access, it was administratively cancelled and reduced to Secret.

Trust me, if you ever get a chance to see TS material, you'll wonder why some of it is classified at all. But, ours is not to reason why, etc...

One last tip: keep a copy of your SF-86 and update it as there are changes. It makes life simpler if you ever have to fill out another one down the road (which you will if you stay in long enough with a TS clearance).

Depending on where your parents were born outside the U.S. can impact the SCI portion of the TS clearance. If your MOS only requires TS, and not SCI, you should have no problem.

I know a guy with a top secret security clearance who was born and raised an Egyptian citizen. HE wasn't even a US citizen until he came here much later. He of course since became a US citizen. But if he can get a security clearance, it would be crazy that you couldn't get one because your parents weren't born here.

But as Kegler pointed out, there are so many caveats and quirks that could effect some people and not others. Bottom line, sometimes it seems like the DOD can deny someone a clearance for any or no reason.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    I know a guy with a top secret security clearance who was born and raised an Egyptian citizen. HE wasn't even a US citizen until he came here much later. He of course since became a US citizen. But if he can get a security clearance, it would be crazy that you couldn't get one because your parents weren't born here.

But as Kegler pointed out, there are so many caveats and quirks that could effect some people and not others. Bottom line, sometimes it seems like the DOD can deny someone a clearance for any or no reason.
    It isn't a matter of "seem like," they can. Although they do need a reason even if it seems lame to others. In my time in the military, I would guess that 99% of security clearance denials were for very good and legitimate reasons.

Alright, I went and talked to my NCO again today. He shut me right the **** up.

Pulled out the actual contract and showed me, if any member of your immediate family is a citizen of another country = Auto denial

Wtf? Its just Canada..and even then I would renounce it in a second. Only problem being that I know my family will not.

Any recruiters on here that can help me out? This is the only job I really want..I'm lost.

Is there any chance a waiver exists for this?

If the MOS you're applying for is 0231, then you require the SCI portion of the TS clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post

Well, I know a guy whose dad was born in Kenya, who claims he was born in Hawaii, though his grandmother says he was born in Kenya, but he grew up in Indonesia, who would not produce a valid birth certificate, and this bozo was elected as President of the United States, so it would be a crying shame if this young man could not get his security clearance.

I think it's going to depend on what MOS you are applying for...at least, the way I read this.

I'm have a copy of the contract with me, DD. Intel/Signals Intel/Electronic Warfare.

Am I allowed to upload a picture of it? Seems it would be easier than explaining it.

Thread Information