What is a degree worth after the Marines?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What is a degree worth after the Marines?

Hello, Marines. I'm pretty much set on enlisting into 267x (Crypto-linguist), but I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Considering all the trouble of getting a degree while in the service, would you say it's worth it? I'm interested in getting a degree in electronics engineering, so how well does that mesh with Crypto-Linguist? If anyone has any experience with earning a degree in the military and then finding a job after EAS, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.

Your prospects of getting a job -- a good job -- after you get out is much better with a degree than without -- ANY degree. That's not a guarantee, but it increases your marketability.

Yep. Very correct. Worth the time and trouble...if you HAVE the time, that is.

Having a degree is very important. Where you get it, is not. Having said that, you obviously want to make sure it is an accredited school and preferably not a "for profit" school. But in reality, you can pay a lot of money, or less money for your degree. At the end of the day, both schools give you a piece of paper that says "bachelors" on it. Now, I could not have gotten the job I have now without a bachelors degree. However, my employer cared way more about my experience in the Marine Corps than where I went to school... or even what I studied. Most of my interview was spent talking about what I did in the Marine Corps, and how that can help the company. Literally, the only question about my education was, "do you have a degree?" It sucks that you spend multiple years going to college and all a degree is worth nowadays is a check in the box, but that's how it is. In my opinion, being hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is not worth going to a brand name school, just because it is a brand name school.

So to answer one of your questions, yes. It is worth it to at least start your degree while your in the Marine Corps. Having a degree puts you in higher category of job seeker. Just have a clear direction of where you want to go, and what you need to get there as far as a degree is concerned.

Credits
    Savings
    Refer to previous posts

Having a degree is well worth the time and expense.
    Speaking from Experiance,today's employment market has a lot of candidates to choose from.
    One of the first questions is do you have a degree ?

Does not guarantee your being hired but does get you past your first screening.

My degree was *after* I got out using my G.I. Bill (I simply couldn't stay focused long enough while all my buddies were drinking beer on the beach).

My degree? Bachelor's of Science in Physics.

My job? Software Developer (computer programmer).

What is most important is being a Marine, and having that on your resume. So don't look past the 25 yard target. And FWIW, good luck getting a degree being on active duty fighting however many wars our Warriors are fighting now, gooood luck. Unless it's something bogus from from Online Pajama University.

But to answer your question (being a civilian and having a degree on the GI Bill), you still need a degree to get your foot in the door -- sad to say the USMC tattoo alone doesn't do it so you need the degree. That allows for a redirect in the interview and much like iamspartacus said, the conversation or interview usually turns to your time in the Corps.

My current job required a degree, but the fact that I am a Marine went a long way in securing the position. My degree was not a difference maker, everyone they interviewed had that. The fact that I am a Marine who served honorably in one the the most respected and well thought of branches raised the bar, and clearly made a difference.

No degree, just my 2600 experience and I have a six-figure job. Doing the same job and making the same money as people with multiple degrees and even PhDs.

If you were stationed at a radio battalion you would have less time for school than at a letter company. Regardless you would have little time for fun.

Credits
    Savings
    1ST RAD
    Cover your six brother
    With all the reductions in force happening right now ,add in your age ( if over 40 )
    and the young ones bucking for a promotion.

I speak from Experiance
    Mustang -worked through the ranks and quite comfortablep with a command of National and Canada

JOB ELIMINATED ----

P

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRad2671 View Post
    making the same money as people with multiple degrees and even PhDs.
    Good for you. I knew I shouldn't have gone in open contract.

For certain jobs in life time on the job is far more valuable than any degree.

My brother-in-law is a plumber and he makes six figures, easy, so does my buddy the electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley67f View Post
    Hello, Marines. I'm pretty much set on enlisting into 267x (Crypto-linguist), but I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Considering all the trouble of getting a degree while in the service, would you say it's worth it? I'm interested in getting a degree in electronics engineering, so how well does that mesh with Crypto-Linguist? If anyone has any experience with earning a degree in the military and then finding a job after EAS, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.
    If you want to study electronic engineering, why not try for an electronics job? They are much more closely related than crypto and EE.

A degree is definitely worth the hard work, no matter what it is.

Thread Information