Air Wing?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Wing?

Air Wing?

My Gunny keeps insisting on re-enlisting because I'm really good at what I do as a radio operator. I'm a Cpl in my shop with the responsibilities of a Radio Supervisor (SSgt Billet), as well as being the "acting radio chief" while my Gunny is gone at certain times.

I am not so sure about re-enlisting but would like to hear information from others on the airwing as a radio operator (Pendleton perhaps?). I was at 29 Palms for EMV and had to work on a Huey with them for some comm stuff, and actually enjoyed being there doing that suff.

Any help or insight would be great while I'm out here in Afghanistan.

Thanks and Semper Fi.

As a former active duty Gunny I would say that you have found yourself in good standing with your Gunny or else he wouldn't want you in "his Corps" if you didn't measure up. You must be doing well. As a former communicator myself, I can say that the many years I spent with the air wing were the best years whether state-side or overseas...combat or peace. I did time with 1st MAW in DaNang, and served at MCAS Beaufort and MCAS Cherry Point. I can also tell you this about promotions...I was in the same position as you are...filling billets well above my pay grade. As a result, I was selected for promotion early to SGT, SSGT, and Gunny. If you decide to stay in, you have a good chance of moving up the ladder quickly. Listen to what your Gunny is saying...talk to him about your future and where you will be 10 or 15 years from now. Life out here in the civilian world is rough right now...jobs are hard to come by. Decide what you want to do with your life and then make your decision. Good luck Marine.
    Gunny H.

Stay motivated Cpl. And keep your head on. I'd say reenlist too. I'm thinking about it.. I hear air traffic control works a lot with vhf. And I know YOU know that. Let me know if you need anything.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Cpl,stay in!!

Appreciate the information Gunny. I understand the job market is rough. I'm 28, with a wife and 2 kids and my wife wants me to re-enlist as well. The benefits aren't that bad either.

As a radio operator, what would my job be in the air wing? (I didn't see many radio personnel down there). Does anyone have any insight on Pendleton in general as well as the air station there. I heard from a Gunny in the wing that I was working with at EMV that they work crazy hours in garrison, and their 12 hour shifts at EMV were actually great hours.

My current unit isn't setting a good picture for me on the Corps, nor does it to my fellow Marines. However, everyone says not to judge the Corps off of one unit, or this unit specifically. Then I hear many SNCOs say that this unit is the worst they've been in, so it must not just be me. Maybe the grass is greener on the other side.

As a radio operator, what other types of units can I look into as my current 4 years will have been with a Victor unit, with two combat deployments (currently in Afghanistan right now doing my second tour)? Which of these units are non-deployable and which are? If they're deployable, what is their mission compared to that of my infantry battalion?

Sorry, can't answer your questions about the different units. But, highly recommend you stay in and keep momma happy; she will NOT be happy if you punch out and can't find a job out here (as so many veterans can't). We frequently see former Marines on here who got out, regret it, and want to come back in but find it almost impossible; a small percentage are lucky enough to be accepted into a Reserve unit but must change their MOS to fit in there.

Important to keep this in mind. It's great your Gunny appreciates your work and would like to see you reenlist...that does not mean the manpower people at HQMC will feel the same way and approve reelistment for you. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. As you know, boat spaces are drying up, competition for what's left will stiffen and many who want to reenlist (and are qualified) will be turned down or told to lat move into a short field. This could continue to happen in the future as well. It's possible they may allow you to reenlist this time but turn you down four years from now when you're a Sgt or SSgt. I saw plenty of good SNCO's (many with families) who planned on being career Marines get pushed out the door because there was no spot for them (numbers problem). Nothing is gauranteed as you know. Your combat tours should help you but today there are many Marines with multiple combat tours behind them. Your best insurance is to make yourself as marketable to the USMC as you can but again, if it comes down to strictly numbers...yours may be up.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree that you should not judge the Corps by one unit. If your re-up package is accepted at the Puzzle Palace in D.C., you can always make it conditional on a transfer. Now is the time to start exploring those choices (as you are).

I was lucky to get assigned to a good unit early and have good bosses. Nevertheless, good or bad unit, it's good to have a Sea Daddy as it seems your Gunny is trying to be for you. He seems to want to help you, so I advise you to let him help.

Matt, can't answer the questions re radio operator in the wing or about units at MCAS Camp Pendleton, other than the air station itself is located in the center of Camp Pendleton, but I have a few thoughts on the other matters.

You indicate in your original post, "my Gunny keeps insisting on (me) re-enlisting because I'm really good at what I do as a radio operator." I am not a mind reader, but as others have commented, your gunny undoubtedly sees a Marine who he respects and stands out from the others. When I was on Okinawa, I filled an E-9 billet for 9 months when I was an E-5, and as a result was recognized by my OIC as a "rare breed."

You say, "I am not so sure about re-enlisting..." Your gunny is encouraging you to do so, but it sounds like you have doubts. It is your decision, and if there is anything that I could offer it would be to examine closely your options and weigh them in light of your responsibilities, i.e., wife and two children. You are not in the same boat as the 21 year old corporal who is single and thinking about getting out or possibly staying in.

Confronted with a similar scenario at 26, wife and child, 9 years in, E-6, what to do. Times were different in '87. I did elect to get out of the Marine Corps, but in weighing my options, I also did not just get out and look for a job. I began inquiring a year before and as my EAS approached, had sent out at least 50 resumes. I had 36 offers sent back. At the same time, I had applied for warrant officer in the Marine Corps. One Marine from El Toro was selected, and I was number 2. I had a couple medical issues which were of concern, too. I had already fought one medical board and won, but was also concerned if the problem reoccurred what my chances were.

"Does anyone have any insight on Pendleton in general as well as the air station there."

Other than driving by it numerous times, no. However, having spent about 6 out of 9 years on an air station, I can say they are great duty stations. MCAS Camp Pendleton is a different breed of air station to the extent it is located in the middle of a Marine Base and supports combat operations on that base more so than say if your were at MCAS Miramar, San Diego.

"My current unit isn't setting a good picture for me on the Corps, nor does it to my fellow Marines."

Yeah, that can suck, but you also recognize already that you should not judge the whole Corps by a bad unit. I can only speculate that it is as a result of poor leadership. I had the good experience of being in good units, and what made them good was outstanding leadership who took care of their Marines. Leadership that is more concerned about their own career and their own butt, is leadership that runs scared, has no vision, and will not take care of their Marines. I think you would be safe to assume your experience is unique and is not likely to be like that elsewhere.

"Maybe the grass is greener on the other side." I am not sure if you are referring to a different unit or civilian life. If a different unit, then yeah, there is greener grass sometimes with different unit. If civilian life, it is a myth. I am doing the same job today, 24 years since I have been out, that I did when I was in the Marine Corps. The difference is in the Marine Corps, there is so much more clarity. In civilian life, you have to deal with turds who are clueless about leadership, responsibility, authority, and most don't give a crap about their employees. The benefits in the Marine Corps were better. I have insurance, but I pay out the ying-yang for it, too. I have been at my current place of employment for 22 years and my vacation hours? Well, they are 10 days less a year than the day I joined the Marine Corps. Advancement? Ha! In the Marine Corps you have opportunities for promotion, usually are recognized for your abilities, get to see your pay go up. Here I was hired at a wage and on day one my wage was the same as the guy who had been here for 18 years! And what is really hillarious is today in 2011 I am the supervisor doing the same job that I did back in '83 on Oki when I was filling the E-9 billet! LOL.

You might be wondering if I regret my decision to get out. Well, there are times I think about it. There are times I think, crap, I could have been retired 14 years ago! But I don't regret it because FOR ME, in '87, it was the right decision, and the med prob I told you about resurfaced in '91 and would have been an issue.

This is a serious decision you have to make, so I would say consider all aspects of it and don't make a knee-jerk decision in the end. From the scant information you share, my leaning would be that you seriously consider staying in.

The last thought on the subject is this: Don't do what many do, which is to say, well, I think I will get out, see if it works for me, and if it does not...what the heck, I'll just go back in. Go read some of the threads on this site. There are many who have done that, figured they'd just go back in, and you know what? The Marine Corps is telling them to go pound sand!

At 28 with a wife and two children, I would say (and am sure you have already thought of this) that the pot needs to be sweet before you get out. If you do end up getting out, you will most likely be given an entry level position wherever you go to work.

I will be getting out in a few months at 28 myself. I have a wife and a dog, and without the children to worry about, my choice is a bit easier. There is also a medical issue involved, but mainly it is a values thing. I was where you are about 4.5 years ago, and decided to go ahead and reenlist for the bonus and for more experience in my field. (I got the bonus but ended up getting sent out on recruiting duty, which could happen to you as well.)

At this point, the direction I want and need to go with my life, and the direction that the Marine Corps wants to take me are completely different. It is time for me to separate and I feel that it benefits both me and the Marine Corps. I love being a part of it, it is just not right to remain on active duty anymore. I have the means to endure some hard times should they come along upon transition (which they certainly will at some point). I also will have a bachelor's degree by my EAS and will be attending further schooling and collecting post 9/11 GI bill benefits, so I feel confident that while it won't be easy, my wife and I will be OK.

I hope the reader's digest version of my personal story will help you do some soul searching and find out exactly what is right for you. Either way, good luck and Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    I concur with stay in the Corps as long as it works for you.

The slimy Civillian world is very tough right now,you can be "let go" at almost any time

Add to this the inordinate number of degrees people out of work-----
    I can contact degrees people driving trucks !

Health benefits are huge and necessary.
    If you stay 20 you're covered here for life ! (as a secondary --)

Best to you whatever you decide Marine

Its been too long since I was on active duty. Back in my day, each MAG had a comm platoon. In Beaufort for example, I was with MAG 32. I was the NCOIC of the message center. Down at the comm shack we had wiremen, radio operators, switchboard, comm center personnel, etc. They provided comm for the HQ. At the base or higher level, I worked at the station comm centers, and there were several radio operators attached to our squadron. As before, the non-fliers in HQ needed comm support. I suspect it is not much different today. Check with your Gunny about billets. Good luck and Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Swing with the Wing Baayyyybeeeee!

Once again, I do appreciate the abundance of information you have given me. I understand the civilian world out there is rough right now, which is part of my thinking into this more. I guess I'm afraid of going somewhere new and falling into another bad unit with poor leadership, and not having a Gunny, MSgt, or Comm-O who know my abilities and take care of me. My prior SNCO's did a poor job at taking care of us as Marines.

I do understand the chance of being selected for recruiting duty, as three of my Sgts were shortly after they re-enlisted. Not sure how I feel about that, but I also know many of my SNCO's were recruiters and enjoyed the experience. Possibility lies there to be a MCT instructor too for a B-Billet, I think.

When one re-enlists (lets say while deployed)... when is he/she expected to PCS to their new duty station? Would this be at the end of their current 4-year contract or prior? I guess I'm really unfamiliar with the aspects of re-enlisting, except the submitting a package part.

As for the grass being greener, I was referring to the other units. I've done numerous jobs in the civilian world, advanced in each one but starting at the bottom wasn't always fun. Most of this was retail sales though, and I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. I currently have an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice, and would like to go back to school and get my Bachelors. Doing so while at an air wing would be nice as the time in an infantry unit is slim.

So, Miramar, or MCAS Pendleton. Anyone have any insight on the two other than both in different locations? You say the one in the middle of Pendleton supports combat operations, but does the Miramar one do the same? Are they both deployable units?

The reason I say I'm not so sure about re-enlisting is because of that bad experience I've seen from this one unit. I'm worried I might run into the same thing and dread the next 4 years of my career. On the other side, it could be great and I could love every minute of it. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it to, lol.

I worked in a Comm Plt at MCAS Beaufort. MWSS-273. When we deployed, the radio operators supported communications for all the squadrons out on the tarmacs, localized base security comms, etc. It can be very busy depending on the size of units.

Take Al Asad for example. Huge.

You need to read up on Okinawa, Iwakuni, Korea, Guam, and the Philliphines. In the air wing, in California, You will be on a cadre heading to one of those places.

I did and I l o v e d it. I was at every one I mentioned as a foward observer and radio operator. Great duty, but dont tell the wife, what I said.

Thread Information