Air Wing? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Wing?

Quote Originally Posted by dizark View Post
    So, Miramar, or MCAS Pendleton. Anyone have any insight on the two other than both in different locations? You say the one in the middle of Pendleton supports combat operations, but does the Miramar one do the same? Are they both deployable units?

The reason I say I'm not so sure about re-enlisting is because of that bad experience I've seen from this one unit. I'm worried I might run into the same thing and dread the next 4 years of my career. On the other side, it could be great and I could love every minute of it. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it to, lol.
    You might try checking out the websites for general information. There actually is pretty good intel and links on the left side.
    http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcaspend...default01.aspx

The last time I was on Pendleton was many moons ago. The aircraft at the time as I recall were choppers, warthogs, and harriers. When MCAS El Toro was shut down in the 90s, all assets were moved to Miramar in San Diego and the air station was split with the Navy, NAS Miramar/MCAS Miramar. Today it is all Marine and home of 3rd MAW which was at El Toro and comprises pretty much all aircraft.

Check out at http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcasmira...s/default.aspx

When at El Toro I knew comm guys who worked on station with H&HS. They were fapped from MWHS-3. So the possibilities are endless.

As far as your concern about bad units, dread, and that worry, sometimes life is a gamble. There are no gaurantees. I initially signed up for 4 years but re-upped after 2 and a half years in order to go to college on the Marine Corps tab and then give back four years for 2 years college. I hear what you are saying about retail. It's not the greatest to provide for a family. That was my concern is I needed a professional skill that was marketable before I got out, and going to college for 2, being paid to do so, then having 4 years to perfect that skill seemed like a sweet deal to me.

So, I think the Marines who have chimed in on your thread are just saying you have to weigh your options, balance it, and make the most informed decision you can. Then once made, make the absolute best out of it. Otherwise you'll regret it.

Good luck!

Talking I really don't like to rant on about this !

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    Swing with the Wing Baayyyybeeeee!
    But this explains it best !

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Stay with it! No one has more respect, for the wing, than I do. The wing saved our azz many times in Nam. When we were in the bush, the wing was our life line. They got us where we were going, got us back, and kept us supplied in between. They got our wounded to hospitals and our fallen brothers , on their way back home. The Docs and Airwing saved thousands of Marines in Nam. No matter what your job in the wing is, you damn sure sure have my respect.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    But this explains it best !
    You know it!

Thanks for the info everyone. My one Sgt was with the wing at Miramar and said it was fun. He mentioned about going on these Comm Exercises and so forth. Does anyone else have any insight on these?

Also, does anyone else have any other experiences with other types of units, other than Infantry and Air Wing?

Back in my day, we were involved in exercises in Norway (Artic training), but mostly with excercises in the Carribbean area. They guys that went loved it. They trained hard, but got good liberty. I have no clue what the guys on the Pacific side did. As a comm guy, there is no guarantee that you will get air wing assignments all the time. I was lucky. Staff work at CG FMFLant, NORVA, CG 1MAW DaNang, HQ MCAS Beaufort SC, 3rd FSR OKI, HQ 2nd MAW Cherry Point, NC, and then 3 years with Defense Communications Agency - Europe in Stuttgart, Germany. I don't know where I would have gone if I had stayed in....my luck might have changed and I could have been humping up and down hills in my later years....who knows...again

Good Luck and Semper Fi

Thread Information