sleeves down all year??? - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Working men and women often roll up their sleeves before approaching a difficult physical task - for freedom of movement and heat dispersion - then often roll them back down again.
    My city-ex once asked about this ritual?
    It's a habit from when i was a cowhand, mostly tradition.
    Marines should also enjoy this freedom
    So on this, quarter rolls are ok? sweet thanks bro

Rolled sleeves, what is that? Cammies, what are those?

I taught they stepped over the line with the whole dont ask dont tell bull****, now this?!?!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well Iffen I was in now I'd B-Happy bout this...I think they did it so these Men and Women Marines Who have too Rub Elbows with QUEERS,Will not git Contaimated!!! Chit If I were in tha Corps now I'd wear a HAZMAT Suit all day or Night and Not Complain...You know this FAGGOTERY Is Hazerdious too Ones Health

If the Marine Corps didn't make changes every few years, we wouldn't have anything to ***** about and all Marines would be happy. Doubt that that would work. (The happiness part)

All this talk about tradition... I thought it was instant and willing obedience to all lawful orders, and discipline, that set us apart from other branches.

Erosion

Quote Originally Posted by Nedward View Post
    All this talk about tradition... I thought it was instant and willing obedience to all lawful orders, and discipline, that set us apart from other branches.
    With that logic, we should get rid of the Marine Corps Ball, high and tights, rifle quals for anyone but infantry (every Marine a rifleman?), physical fitness...please, just do the minimum and you'll be fine, using nautical terms...the navy does that...get rid of it, Semper Fidelis...what's that?, stading for the Marine's hymn...that hurts my back...lose it, looking out for your Marine's..pfffft, Corps values? Honor...courage...I can't remember the last one...whatever. Heck, we could just all get Army digies and put a Marine Corps emblem on them. Then we could be a special unit in the Army. The Marine Corps Army Special Tactics Unit. We are exactly the same as every other army dog, but I am sure our willing obedience to all lawful orders and our discipline will set us apart.

I am certain you know what Esprit De Corps is. The way we embrace our Marine culture, history, comraderie, tradition...these are what give us that grasp on the foundation that is our discipline. Without it, what are we?

I know that this is blowing out of proportion something that is so meaningless as to be forgotten in a few weeks, but erosion works the same way. Do not misunderstand me, what you say about obeying orders and discipline are both EXTREMELY important to who and what we are. However, don't lose sight of what makes us Marine's and gives us that meaning beyond orders and dicipline. I've lost interest in the sleeve's thing. It has happened and we have moved on. I wonder though, what is the next "tradition" that will be stripped from the Corps? Hopefully it's high and tights.

As a final note, I thought it would appropriate to quote the Marine Corps itself on customs and traditions. Enjoy:

CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS PROVIDE A LINK TO THE PAST; THEY BOND
    MARINES WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE WITH MARINES WHO WILL CARRY THE TORCH THROUGH THE FUTURE. ANY LOSS OF TRADITION OR IMPROPER OBSERVATION OF CUSTOM BLURS OUR IDENTITY AND WEAKENS US AS AN INSTITUTION. THROUGH THE FAITHFUL ADHERENCE BY COMMANDERS AND EACH INDIVIDUAL MARINE, WE PRESERVE OUR IDENTITY AND REPUTATION AS A UNIQUE AND ELITE FIGHTING ORGANIZATION.

x2 ^

I was somewhat glad when I heard recruits would get M16A4s to qual with. Brand new barrels..sturdy new iron sights, but now Quantico is sending a cycle through with ACOGs to see if its going to increase the pass rate.

A 236yr old tradition of shooting iron sighted muskets and rifles is about to end aswell.
    Its bad enough that table 2 now counts for the rifle badge. It was only a 100+ something years old tradition that ended in 2007.

I was simply stating that things change, if someone of a higher rank says no more sleeves. No more sleeves.

Thread Information