Cryptologic Linguist (Russian)
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Cryptologic Linguist (Russian)

Afternoon I have question. The real job that I want is Russian Cryptologic Linguist, however I can not pass the DLAB with my current level of skill with the Russian language what I'm wondering though is 2 things. Can you receive FLPP (Foreign Language Proficiency Pay) while in boot camp, and my other question is what do you do in the fleet if you are a RCL, Arabic one's i can see going oversea's to war zone's to translate but we're not at war with the Russians. Do they just hang out on base and "work" then go home like the rest or what?

I can't answer your questions, but did want to interject. I could be mistaken, but I didn't think you had to know another language at all to be a linguist. That's what they send you to school for, to learn a language. I thought the DLAB was just to test your aptitude for learning a certain language. Not to find out how well you know a language.

Either way, even if you do go linguistics, I don't think you can get a guarantee in the language you want.

Yeah the DLAB is not based on any language. Also, if you can speak a language perfectly I doubt they will make you that type of linguist. They would make you another type so you would have 2 languages the Marine Corps can benefit from.

Credits
    Savings
    I've got a paper me and my dad printed out on the DLAB that says. "The first test is the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT). This test is designed for individuals who are already fluent in a specific foreign language" it does say though most people trying to obtain a job which requires foreign language proficiency are not fluent in a needed language. which is what i'm trying to find out if i have to take the DLAB for FLPP but i wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone and ask that other question as well.

You need to take the DLAB (and pass with an appropriate score) in order to get into the crypto-linguist program. Period. At least out of boot...I am uncertain on the LAT move Marines that go that route. The DLPT is used once you are already in. It tests your proficiency in the language that the Corps will use you for. You cannot get FLPP while in boot. You do not need to be a crypto-linguist to get FLPP. There is a list of languages that the Corps pays out FLPP for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyber33 View Post
    Afternoon I have question. The real job that I want is Russian Cryptologic Linguist, however I can not pass the DLAB
    If you can not pass the DLAB, or, you are not already highly proficient, you can not become a cryptologic linguistic.

with my current level of skill with the Russian language
    You already know Russian? Have you taken the Russian language DLPT? If you have not and you are a heritage speaker, you should. If you have taken it, what were your scores?

Can you receive FLPP (Foreign Language Proficiency Pay) while in boot camp,
    NO.

my other question is what do you do in the fleet if you are a RCL, Arabic one's i can see going oversea's to war zone's to translate but we're not at war with the Russians. Do they just hang out on base and "work" then go home like the rest or what?
    You are getting ahead of your self on this one since as of right now you don't even qualify for enlistment into that MOS field.

The real question is WHY are you so dead set on being a Russian linguist? and not a crypto-linguist in general? I'm currently a recruiting substation NCOIC and I can guarantee that intel contracts in general, including linguist contracts are very hard to come by right now. Have you already spoken to a recruiter?

Credits
    Savings
    FrankTheTank thank you for the information.haebyundea i am learning how to speak right now but i am at a very low level of understanding (just a few words really and statements really) but i have limited knowledge of the DLAB other then what this paper i have and as you might have noticed it seems a little misleading. 26XXer why am I set on Russian linguist because like most reasons for learning a language I love the language, people, culture, etc but my plan for the Marine Corps right now is to do 8 years and if I love it then I'll stay, otherwise get out. I choose RCL because it offers both a language skill and a communications skill which is becoming increasingly demanded in today's world so its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone really and gives me options in life if I can't find a job with one of them. And yes i have spoken with my recruiter and he told me pretty much the same thing as you there about impossible to get right now, so why not just wait when i can say to the Marine Corps i want RCL, ok you can have it provided there's a slot. It makes sense in my mind.

Thread Information