Arizona Terratory
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Arizona Terratory

11 /12 Aug 1969 B,C,D, and H&S Co were set up in Arizons Terratory they were hit by the 8th and ninth Battalions, 90th NVA regiment reinforced by a Battalion from the 368B NVA Rocket Regiment... when that day was done there were 8 kia and 24 wia in Bco...Dco had 1 kia and 7 wia Cco and H&S had a handful of wia
    There were more then 50 dead NVA littered around Bco perimeter...there were mounds of equipment and weaponsleft behindemost ofit recent Chinese Communist make...There were pth helmets, web gear, automatic rifles, carbines, mchine guns, grenades, empty RPD machine gun ammo drums and half- fired ammo belts...It was only then that they realized how many NVA had been involved...they estimated that to infantry battalions had hammered into Bco that night...I had been in the bush two days before that...was on one of the LPs that was wiped out that night...our squad was brought back to the parimater at midnight....spent the rest of the night getting a good start on my confirm NVA kia count...what a wake-up that was...when sweeping around the hill the next day reality to what i was in for for the next 12 months hi me...thought how does anyone make it home outside a body bag..made a resolve to take as many Gooks with me as i could

on the 13th of Aug while we swept towards the Song Vu Gia river ower CO LtCol John A. Dowd was shot and killed by NVA fire...
    that night Bco was hit again by a smaller number of NVA...we didnt loose any and i was the only one that took any shrapnel from a chicon tossed at me...think it was a piece of rock that stuck in my cheek...we added another 7 kias to the list we crossed the river the 14th of Aug
    got most the info from the book Death Valley...sure brought back some memories...not all that was written is as remember it..then again he was with the CP and not on the line

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Bill, wasn't Lt. Col. Dowd the highest ranking officer killed in Nam? This happened after I left. 75% of my time in Nam ,was in the Arizona. Every day was a roll of the dice in the Arizona.

The Arizona Territory is were I got my ticket home Jan 28,1971. That was one hell hole and so many damn mines. I was on the son tu bon river,finger lakes,An Hoa. We were chasing 8 gooks,but they found us first. The mine took 5 of us out,but we made it. The next day they captured 2 a man 65 and a kid 7 they set the mine off. One gook was killed.

killed

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Bill, wasn't Lt. Col. Dowd the highest ranking officer killed in Nam? This happened after I left. 75% of my time in Nam ,was in the Arizona. Every day was a roll of the dice in the Arizona.
    Maj Gen. Houthmouth was the highest ranking officer killed in Vietnam.

Arizona Terratory - I knew it well, spent most of my time out in that ****hole. Bill, I was there before you. We tried to kill all those bastards that we could, but they kept sending in more and more. Billy and Jack will tell you, we cleaned it out real well in our time, but they were like cockroaches and just kept coming back again and again. Sorry you had to go through that also.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LtCol Dowd was very crust...he had worked his way up threw the ranks..from Pvt..
    he was a very good leade but for the most part was the caus of his own death...he showed no respect for his enamy...walking compleatly exposed when it was known that the gooks were there puting up heavy fire at Dco...guess he had been at it to long.... many of us got that way...almost darein the gooks to shoot us...one grunt i remember we were in the Que Son mountains taking heavy fire...because of the monsoons we hadent been supplied for a few days...weather broke a little and they got chopper in ...ashappend when the chopper came in the already heavy fire got even heavyer...this grunt walked in the open to the supplys...sat on some crates of frags fired a few burst in the direction of the incomeing...then just sat there takeing it all in saying...im sure going to miss this...he was very short with less then a week in country left...and he made it

removed

Operation Meade River Nov/Dec 1968. I don't remember what day but we(F/2/26)were dug in on the bank of a river and it was maybe before noon. I was cooking some C's and had some clothes hanging in a tree drying, when I heard some distant fire. Next thing all hell breaks loose as shots were landing all around my area, some hitting my cooking area. I got in my hole as the rest of my fire team did. Returning fire with M-16 but then had to help FNG with sighting M-79. I said don't use the sight and grabbed 79 slapped the sight down and popped an H/E across the river to the right hitting a tree and enemy behind. Huey's were also firing their guns in close support. Lots of fire went down that day, I just wish I could remember what day it was.

Thread Information