Duty Station Quantico - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For someone's who's a Civil War buff, the "Show Case of the Marine Corps" is an ideal station, (but not necessarily for the Show Case part).

But other than that, I really can't think of any "memorable military memories" there.

As earlier mentioned, you will get the opportunity see the largest gaggle of 2nd Lt's at one moment in time (therefore, several times while you're stationed there), so you get to practice "proper" saluting over and over (and over again) to your heart's content (the new Lts' wives loved the attention when they were driving their car with that new blue decal).

I should point out that I was there in '57-'60, so things may be somewhat different (when I was there, the golf course was noteworthy, but so were the tennis courts and the Quantico Marines BB team was well-known). So my recall ain't necessarily pertinent or relevant.

I was TAD there a few times...

Use the trains and public transit as much as possible cause the traffic in and around that area can be brutal.

And don't speed or roll through stops signs if you do drive on base. Last time I was there, a year or so ago to visit my 1st Sgt buddy going through a CAO course, they nailed me for rolling through one.

Funny thing is I rolled through it to get to the MP to ask him directions....

What was the question again..oh yea...

Quantico will work if you can deal with the brass.

It is a cool place but not the fleet.

Be prepared to kiss some ass.

I spent 4 years there. Personally, I didn't get inundated with officers and saluting. It's not that bad.

Pros:
    1. DC is an hour away with every major sport represented, tons of free attractions, tons of nightlife and decent public transportation.
    2. Great mountain biking trails, on and off base.
    3. Plenty of hiking/camping/outdoor stuff in Shenandoah National Forrest.
    4. $30 (or cheaper) round trip bus rides to New York City from downtown DC.

Cons:
    1. Not much to do on base. It's kind of small when you take away TBS, OCS, WTB, and the FBI Academy side.
    2. The base itself is kind of in the middle of a dump. You have to drive to Fredericksburg or DC to have any fun.
    3. Old buildings and old barracks
    4. Traffic on or off base during rush hour is horrendous.
    5. Traffic in general around base is horrendous.

How did you get Quantico as your first duty station?

Quantico was my last duty station..
    Did my 30 day leave after Nam and reported to SDT that was located across the rr tracks from HMX-1..
    Was there last year,ever thing changed and what got me was the civilian guard on the main gate...
    CID office changed to NCIS.....
    Good liberty to DC,Alexandria and G'town,we did not have the trains....
    Good luck..
    SEMPER FI..................Ed

I'm currently stationed at Quantico. I've found that there's only two opinions of the base. Either people hate it or people are okay with it. No one loves it.

There's a lot of saluting. Then again, with all the candidates around, I've been saluted once or twice here.

The barracks suck. They're actually in the process of renovating the barracks on main side because there were so many complaints of black mold. Yeah. No fun.

But life isn't all bad. It's not the Fleet, but it could be worse. If you ever need anything admin wise, let me know. I work at the PAC. (My name's Keith now though. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Parks View Post
    I'm currently stationed at Quantico. I've found that there's only two opinions of the base. Either people hate it or people are okay with it. No one loves it.

There's a lot of saluting. Then again, with all the candidates around, I've been saluted once or twice here.

... .
    As an MP in Khakies we had gold collar emblems and there were a lot of "nervous encounters" (both us MPs -anticipating by the other's unsure movements- as well as whomever was approaching us) until they got about 10' away.

By that time it was often too late.

Either a salute had been started in an upward motion or a salute was crisply rendered BEFORE the 10.'

More than once a fresh 2ndLt was pis$ed that he BEGAN the salute thinking he was encountering a major. Ah, ces't le vie in le Corps.

Thanks for the responses!

So it seems the good thing about it mainly is its close to lots of things to do and the bad part is crappy barracks and lots of saluting.

Oh and im an MP (I know i know MP)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Stay tha Hell outta Tha TITTY BARS On Rt.1,especially tha One in Arlington across from Crystal City!!! Oh and If HILLBILLY HEAVEN has not been Burnt Down Yet...Tha next time I roll back into Lorton,I'll Burn that Meth Lab down for tha Good of Tha CORPS!!! Semper Fi.GoodLuck

I wouldn't expect lots of free time. The MPs here are incredibly short staffed and from what I understand they work serious hours, even by MP standards.

Quote Originally Posted by zacsanders View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

So it seems the good thing about it mainly is its close to lots of things to do and the bad part is crappy barracks and lots of saluting.

Oh and im an MP (I know i know MP)
    When you've been there a while, would it be possible to see if there's any photos of the base when the PMO was located just on the base side of the tracks at the point where the street that goes from base to Q-town?

The building was just south and west of the point I'm talking about with EM Club at the far end of a large parking lot.. (The Provost Marshall when I was in was a Major Britt just in case someone knows of an old-tines roster list by command.)

Also, I would like to get pics pf MPs doing traffic control at the "original" Main Gate with an MP standing on the "box" and the "island" where the other MP would stand in a windowed enclosure to answer the phone and otherwise handle duties, such as receive phone messages or salute (and the "outside" Marine was required to only salute a General passing thru, otherwise all other ranks were "ignored" and left to the "island" MP to deal with).

BTW, there were only 3 "manned" posts in my day that were in Uniform of the Day:
    1)Main Gate (2 MPs),
    2)Back Gate (1 MP) which led directly onto base from Q-town toward where WM's barracks were and,
    3)At rush hours (1 MP), the intersection of near the motor pool and the entrance to the Commissary.

Other Highway 1 accesses to the base were done by patrol (in UD and white gear) and a static watch in utilities at some outlying points (under arms, but not white gear as best I recall).

I've looked for postcards that might show the base then, but the best I can come up with is the barracks we lived in. Other postcards generally show the base before WWII.

Appreciate if you can, nothing lost if you can't.

Thread Information