Duty Station Quantico
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duty Station Quantico

I hope this is the right place to post this. Well my orders for my first duty station are to Quantico. Can anyone tell me anything about the base, as far as things to do, how the barracks are, ect?
    Thanks!

Sorry to hear that, but good luck and try to have a positive out look on things.

depending on where on MCB-Q your going to. I have orders to TBS so I should be off the flag pole, but from what I understand if your on main side, be squared away...moto style. That and affix your right hand to your cover.

It isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Unless it has changed since 2002.

Look the base itself is not bad, I mean you got D.C like an hour train ride way. So the night life should be fun, lots of potential fun. Though I have heard that there are quite a few places where they will turn Marines away just to avoid unneccesary problems.

As for barracks, well there are new ones that have been built. Then there are old ones that been built couple of decades ago. Thats up in the air. But the reason why I give you my best of luck is because Quantico is not considered the fleet from what I am told. No units on Quantico deploys at all, its just mostly training for other Marines and the administration work that goes along with it. What I saw with MCESG might be the exception rather then the rule but that place was terrible. I felt bad for the Marines that got their first duty station with that unit. Most of the Marines there just hated it overall and I could give the few reasons from what I saw but again I was there for just the short while.

Go in there with a positive mind set, think about what you want to accomplish and work towards it. Do not let the daily bull **** get to you either or you will turn into those Marines who just drink and play video games every day when they get off work. Thats not the best way to spend your time, even if your trying to numb the pain until your contract ends.

Enjoyed my time at Quantico. It's a unique setting with all the schools there. The summers are really hot/humid and the winters are really cold/snowy. Northern VA taxes everything and you'll have at least 3 decals on your vehicle. Haven't been back there since they built the new USMC museum so planning on going back to visit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamelink83 View Post
    depending on where on MCB-Q your going to. I have orders to TBS so I should be off the flag pole, but from what I understand if your on main side, be squared away...moto style. That and affix your right hand to your cover.
    Yea TBS is a long way from the flag pole but is also the highest concentration of commissioned officers you are likely to ever come across. One thing you'll notice about Quantico right away is that every square inch of it is CG inspection ready at all times and the commandant is only an hours drive away. Semper Field day us.

Some good things about the area .... good fishing is near by. Deer hunting is great. Their chow halls are all outstanding. There are lots of non clubbing things to do on your free time. If you land in a fairly routine job you will have an oppurtunity to go to college and maybe even work a part time job.

For some .... Quantico is the place where careers go to die. Depends on you.

And the golf course is one of the finest in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Yea TBS is a long way from the flag pole but is also the highest concentration of commissioned officers you are likely to ever come across. One thing you'll notice about Quantico right away is that every square inch of it is CG inspection ready at all times and the commandant is only an hours drive away. Semper Field day us.

Some good things about the area .... good fishing is near by. Deer hunting is great. Their chow halls are all outstanding. There are lots of non clubbing things to do on your free time. If you land in a fairly routine job you will have an oppurtunity to go to college and maybe even work a part time job.

For some .... Quantico is the place where careers go to die. Depends on you.
    What do you mean for some Quantico is where careers go to dire?
    Thank you

This IS the start or end of your career to become an officer of the Marine Corps. Plus, General and Staff College where senior officers attend military programs. My last (many years ago) year in the Corps was at Quantico, and had very nice experience. Gave me the chance to attend University of Virginia. Q-town was our local hangout; Alexandria and DC for FUN. Oh yes, HMX-1, presidential helicopter squadron there.

Semper fi,

A good website for resources

You may find information on this website helpful. It's called USMC Life
    http://www.usmclife.com

And the golf course is one of the finest in the world.
    Every Thursday afternoon!

Negative. 4691, motion picture film editor (go straight down MCB main drag just before Basics school, to your right). My office in '67! :-)

There's also Modern Day Marine, which is held every year towards the end of September.

Thread Information