Enlisting with 15 College Credits...
Create Post

Question Enlisting with 15 College Credits...

My H.S. diploma is complicated because I am a dual enrolled student at a high school and a community college. Thus, the military classified me as homeschooled (but apparently not really as a homeschooler, just as something "complicated"). So my recruiter told me I have to wait until I have 15 college credits (which will be in May of 2012) in order to enlist.

Can I enlist while only showing I am on track to have 15 college credits? So during March or April next semester, I show that I am about to have all 15 college credits, like high school seniors do with their diploma when they enlist. Or is it simply, you have the credits on a transcript or you don't. Thanks.

Another question

Also, I went to MEPs in July and qualified. How long is my physical valid? Will I have to take another one in May, especially since I dislocated my shoulder in August (on track to full recovery though)?

Quote Originally Posted by Salient View Post
    My H.S. diploma is complicated because I am a dual enrolled student at a high school and a community college. Thus, the military classified me as homeschooled (but apparently not really as a homeschooler, just as something "complicated"). So my recruiter told me I have to wait until I have 15 college credits (which will be in May of 2012) in order to enlist.

Can I enlist while only showing I am on track to have 15 college credits? So during March or April next semester, I show that I am about to have all 15 college credits, like high school seniors do with their diploma when they enlist. Or is it simply, you have the credits on a transcript or you don't. Thanks.
    First of all, start here:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96657

Next, read this:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=101872 specifically the second and last entry.

Also, I went to MEPs in July and qualified. How long is my physical valid? Will I have to take another one in May, especially since I dislocated my shoulder in August (on track to full recovery though)?
    How long did your recruiter tell you it was valid for?

I take it as I need to have the college credits completely done. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    How long did your recruiter tell you it was valid for?
    He never told me. I haven't talked to him since he called me to tell me to come back with 15 CC and I don't want to contact him just to ask a question more of curiosity than real purpose.

My original question seems to have been answered but can anyone confirm how long a physical at MEPS is valid for? I still keep finding mixed answers of 6 to 12 to 24 months. Thanks.

That's one I actually don't know. I would think a year, but hopefully a recruiter will stop by with that answer.

My original question seems to have been answered but can anyone confirm how long a physical at MEPS is valid for? I still keep finding mixed answers of 6 to 12 to 24 months. Thanks.
    2 years.

This doesn't add up. You are schooled at home concurrently enrolled in college, or are you a senior in a traditional high school concurrently enrolled in college?

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    2 years.

This doesn't add up. You are schooled at home concurrently enrolled in college, or are you a senior in a traditional high school concurrently enrolled in college?
    It's really complicated. I don't take enough classes at my private high school (because of tuition cost) to have them as my school of record (thus not get a diploma from them this year) so I have what I'm told is an umbrella school put my transcripts together. The director of the "school" told me I should be considered private schooled as all students that work with her apply to universities and jobs as such. I also take the rest of my classes at a local community college. So even though I don't take any classes at home/online, the Marine Corps put me under Tier II as homeschooled (my recruiter was told this was because the "private school"/umbrella school worked with homeschoolers.

I then found out that supposedly homeschoolers are indeed to be put under Tier I, so I contacted a legal group that worked with this type of problem. They told me I don't fall under the Homeschooled Policy that would let me be put under Tier I because I don't take any class at home and that the Military is really labelling putting me under Tier II as "complicated". So I'm going to ask them later if I would fall under the policy if I took an online class "at home". If that doesn't work, I wait until I get the 15 college credits at the end of the school year to enlist (which I guess won't be too bad as my shoulder is still healing).

Hopefully everything works out with my college credits and medical history of my shoulder. I plan to go to EMT school during the summer since I should now have extra time waiting to go to Boot Camp after I graduate. ...And that's my progress with enlisting into the United States Marine Corps.

Also...along with all of what you have going on now, be sure to let your recruiter know about your dislocated shoulder. You'll need a medical waiver for that.

Thread Information