Prior Drug Usage
Create Post

Prior Drug Usage

I am currently in law school and interested in joining the Marine Corps, JAG. Last week, I met with a recruiter and divulged all my information, including prior drug use, the extent of which is about 20 times of marijuana use during my undergraduate years (2006-2010). So it has been approximately 1.5 years since I last used marijuana.

The recruiter said it may be an issue, but there was still a possibility I can get a drug waiver. Other than this issue, I have a pretty good application.

Has anyone else had experience with this issue?

If the Corps has a choice of two people with the same qualifications except one had used drugs and one hadn't, which one do you think they would take?

I understand prior use of marijuana is not a positive for my application. I was more wondering if anyone has experienced similar circumstances regarding the drug waivers.

Okay, here's where integrity comes in.

There's white. There's black. And then there's grey.

White being you tell them about it and then you get a waiver MAYBE... then you have to go through a lot of BS just to get in.

Black being you lie to them and tell them you've never touched the stuff... you get in, get in the fleet, then pop on a **** test... get NJPd or worse.

Grey, you don't tell them, you never touch the stuff while you're in... and serve your country.

To be honest I know a lot of people who have gotten in with worse... a little bit of weed in yer undergrad years shouldn't stop you from serving your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    Grey, you don't tell them, you never touch the stuff while you're in... and serve your country.

To be honest I know a lot of people who have gotten in with worse.
    Sounds like somebody I know.

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Sounds like somebody I know.
    Seems to be a very common theme

I think The Marine corps is too busy to have to check on a person who hasent smoked in over a year and a half. I he recruiter is making that big of a deal about something like that. I think you learn from your mistake and go to another Recruiter, and keep your mouth shut..

Quote Originally Posted by eric huitrado View Post
    I think The Marine corps is too busy to have to check on a person who hasent smoked in over a year and a half. I he recruiter is making that big of a deal about something like that. I think you learn from your mistake and go to another Recruiter, and keep your mouth shut..
    Wouldn't be the recruiter making a big deal out of it. There are policies that we have to abide by regardless of our own personal opinions. In the eyes of the policy-makers in Marine Corps Recruiting Command, smoking marijuana 20 times 1.5 years ago and smoking marijuana 20 times 15 years ago are the same. Once that information is divulged to the recruiter, he or she has to report it. Drug use is black and white, either it did or didn't occur. Not like a 'possible' medical issue such as "my mom thinks I have ADD because I don't listen to her at home and I hate doing my homework so I get Cs in school".

The Marine Corps runs an FBI background check on every applicant, enlisted or officer, regardless of any drug or police history or lack thereof.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    None of us are going to be able to tell you - we old(er) ones have no clue about what goes on in today's Corps.

I went in in 84 - I smoked until the day before I left to go to MEPS. I waited until the "moment of truth" and I couldn't take it anymore - I fessed up and told on myself. I'm glad I did. I had to stay at MEPS an extra night until a waiver came through but, BY GOD, I got in. Didn't have to worry about it again. If you're truthful straight out the gate, you won't have to worry about it again.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    Okay, here's where integrity comes in.

There's white. There's black. And then there's grey.

White being you tell them about it and then you get a waiver MAYBE... then you have to go through a lot of BS just to get in.

Black being you lie to them and tell them you've never touched the stuff... you get in, get in the fleet, then pop on a **** test... get NJPd or worse.

To be honest I know a lot of people who have gotten in with worse... a little bit of weed in yer undergrad years shouldn't stop you from serving your country.

You will get your waiver...they are a dime-a-dozen these days if you read through some of the other posts in here. The key thing is that you remain truthful throughout the process, admit everything prior to raising your hand (this includes drug use, criminal activity, and illegal sex acts with non-human species), and never fail to own your past. You have made EVERY decision up to this point since becoming an adult, and there is nobody else to point the finger of blame at for anything you have done to date. When you get your waiver, consider yourself extremely fortunate, and live each day from that point on as if it is borrowed, because it is. It is borrowed from those recruits who have lived with honor before even knowing the definition. It is borrowed from Marines past and present who will stand by you through thick and thin. It is borrowed from the veterans, dead or alive, who served to make this a place where you are allowed to make your own decisions, good or bad. Get your waiver and charge hard. Become better than the decisions you have made in the past. Make this gift work for you and the Marines around you. EARN that waiver! YLDNDN6 out.

I swear why don't some of you try talking to people with some military background before you go to a recruiter because if you talked to someone like me I would have told you to keep your mouth shut just go to another recruiter.

Wrong answer.

Thread Information