How likely am I to get the MOS that I want?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How likely am I to get the MOS that I want?

I know that having a high ASVAB score gives me more options but won't it also mean that since it qualifies me for more jobs I'll be more likely to get one that I don't want? If so, then can I retake the ASVAB and purposely get more questions wrong so I can limit the amount of MOS's that I'm qualified for?

How important is the ASVAB test?

Your scores in four critical areas -- Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Mathematics Knowledge (see below) -- count towards your Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) score. The AFQT score determines whether you're qualified to enlist in the U.S. military.

Your scores in the other areas of the ASVAB will determine how qualified you are for certain military occupational specialties and Enlistment Bonuses. A high score will improve your chances of getting the specialty/job and signing bonus you want.

http://www.military. com/ASVAB

ASVAB and Marine Corps Jobs
    http://www.military. com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_USMC.html

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Aside from Softball being absolutely correct, you run a risk of throwing the test so your score is so low they'll take you to the hospital and put you on life support.

Having a higher ASVAB will not put you into an MOS that you don't want. If you get a 99 AFQT, then you can still go infantry. Do your best on every test that they give you. Don't limit yourself as soon as your boots hit the pavement. I assume you want a combat related MOS (infantry). Don't forget that there is a minimum GT score for Recon as well.

Thread Information