Swim Qualifications at boot.
Create Post

Swim Qualifications at boot.

My name is Mathew Bevillard.
    I am just posting this new thread because I was wondering if anyone can shed more light on the swim quals at boot camp?
    I have heard depending on what your MOS is, you may be in the pool longer throughout the week than other MOS's?
    I know how to swim pretty well, but I was just curious as to what happens.
    Thank you.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Ship Date:20111128 MCRDPI MOS:03XX IST:CHRUNCHES:99 1.5 Mile:11:56 Pull Ups:20

How long you been in the DEP? My suggestion talk to the Marines coming back from the Island for their leave.

I have been in DEP since January, but thing is, all the Marines I know come back after I leave unfortunately, but I guess I can just swing by my recruiters and ask.

Think maybe you should stay a bit longer then? Sh!t I spoke to 3 Marines this Saturday at the IST fresh from the Island you should run into at least one.

Oh no! I have been a midshipman for Marine Corps ROTC at a military college for the past year! I know a good amount, just want to know some specifics is all.

Why do you have to know who the Marines are to ask them questions? I didnt know the Marines I asked questions about boot. I had questions so I asked. Besides reading, no one in the poolee section is really going to know about it anyways because they havent lived it.

From what I heard from them it is pretty easy as long as you are not a rock and are a halfway decent swimmer it isnt anything to get all worked up over.

Hopefully being a decent swimmer is the truth.....I heard they put new swimming quals in place Nov 10'.

I just recommend going to a pool and swimming man, thats what I've been doing.

Haha true, maybe this would have been better posted in the "Ask A Marine" Section

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    Hopefully being a decent swimmer is the truth.....I heard they put new swimming quals in place Nov 10'.

I just recommend going to a pool and swimming man, thats what I've been doing.
    One of them told me they had to tread water for like 4 min, i think put on boots and a vest or something like that i forget what else they had to do but he told me it was pretty easy. These recruits were 3rd bn recruits too, not too sure if that makes a difference.

Also as Munky said ask a couple of the fresh from boot camp Marines at the RS that is there on RA. They have the most current and up to date info youll want to hear. It's interesting to hear them speak on things they wish they'd done before they left.

Haha yes being in 3rd does make a difference I believe. Maybe not in the pool but definitely in other areas. I want 3rd.

If you want Marines to answer your questions, PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum.

It doesn't make a difference what BN you're in....every recruit goes through the same swim qualifications and training at boot camp.

New water survival qualification streamlines training, enhances individual Marine
    http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pag...ualMarine.aspx

Critics say Corps’ new swim quals are too easy
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...-easy-031311w/

Thread Information