Sergeant service limitation (10 years and NOT 13 anymore)
Create Post

Sergeant service limitation (10 years and NOT 13 anymore)

My Time-In-Service (TIS) is 7 years and 11 months and as for my Time-In-Grade (TIG), I have been a Sergeant for 3 years and 10 months.

I went from no-zone to in-zone last year, did not get selected, this year got all the MCI's in, no adverse, no NJP, nor page 11's, but no Special Duty Assignments either; Fought to get on Sereant's course, athough finally got on, I graduated the course after the Staff Sergeant selection board convened this year. We had two allocations open with 15 Marines competing for the spot, I was in the above-zone this year. Because of this, the board results came out on September 23rd, 2011, I did not get it, thus I have 2P's in total.

The new ECFC (Enlisted Career Force Controls) that came out, states that Sergeant's high tenure have been reduced from 13 to ten years and if the Marine Sergeant has two passed overs, that is it, he/she has to get out of the Marine Corps. Even though I have completed my reenlistment package and submitted to the career planners, they will not route that up to headquarters due to the new ECFC regulations.

I have been pretty bummed about this, thought about all the could of, should of, and would of, turned out futile. I love the Marine Corps, and I cannot picture myself doing anything else beside being a Marine.

Any suggestions and/or advice on any options I could stay in and/or be looked at again on the next year's board?

Your attention and time on reading this and providing a response will are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    According to the newly released Marine Administrative Message 433/11, new service limitations have been placed on sergeants, cutting their maximum service time to 10 years.

The change will reshape the force on the enlisted side and make the career Marines more competitive, said Master Sgt. Carlos Zuniga, depot career planner.

The Enlisted Career Force Control Program, started in 1985 to manage the amount of Marines looking at a career in the service, actively shapes the enlisted side of the Marine Corps by grade and occupational specialty.

Previously, sergeants had a service limit of 13 years before they were forced to separate from the Corps.

These limitations were put into place to enforce more restrictive limits on sergeants passed for promotion in order to retain more competitive Marines, according to the message.

Now, if a sergeant has not been selected for staff sergeant after the second promotion board or 10 years, Marines will be processed for separation.

The annual staff sergeant promotion board will list eligible sergeants as “selected” or “not selected.”

Sergeants who were passed up the first time and have less than 10 years of service will be allowed to extend for seven months until the next staff sergeant board to allow an additional chance for promotion.

However, if a Marine is passed up for staff sergeant twice and his EAS date allows less than 10 years of service, the sergeant will still be processed for administrative separation.

The ultimate goal is to have sergeants promoted to staff sergeant by eight and a half years, Zuniga explained. Staying up to date on proper military education, basic training and holding a special duty assignment can help in looking more competitive for the selection board.

Now, if a sergeant has more than 10 years of service and an EAS date allowing for 13 years, he will be grandfathered and allowed to continue his service until their assigned date.

“The most important thing is to make sure your [official military personnel files] are up to date and correct,” Zuniga said. “If you have any questions left, talk to your career planner.”
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Based on the dates on your profile it looks like you have more than a year left and possibly an oppurtunity for another consideration. Beyond that you might be able to cross deck to another service.

My how times have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    According to the newly released Marine Administrative Message 433/11, new service limitations have been placed on sergeants, cutting their maximum service time to 10 years.

The change will reshape the force on the enlisted side and make the career Marines more competitive, said Master Sgt. Carlos Zuniga, depot career planner.

The Enlisted Career Force Control Program, started in 1985 to manage the amount of Marines looking at a career in the service, actively shapes the enlisted side of the Marine Corps by grade and occupational specialty.

Previously, sergeants had a service limit of 13 years before they were forced to separate from the Corps.

These limitations were put into place to enforce more restrictive limits on sergeants passed for promotion in order to retain more competitive Marines, according to the message.

Now, if a sergeant has not been selected for staff sergeant after the second promotion board or 10 years, Marines will be processed for separation.

The annual staff sergeant promotion board will list eligible sergeants as “selected” or “not selected.”

Sergeants who were passed up the first time and have less than 10 years of service will be allowed to extend for seven months until the next staff sergeant board to allow an additional chance for promotion.

However, if a Marine is passed up for staff sergeant twice and his EAS date allows less than 10 years of service, the sergeant will still be processed for administrative separation.

The ultimate goal is to have sergeants promoted to staff sergeant by eight and a half years, Zuniga explained. Staying up to date on proper military education, basic training and holding a special duty assignment can help in looking more competitive for the selection board.

Now, if a sergeant has more than 10 years of service and an EAS date allowing for 13 years, he will be grandfathered and allowed to continue his service until their assigned date.

“The most important thing is to make sure your [official military personnel files] are up to date and correct,” Zuniga said. “If you have any questions left, talk to your career planner.”
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Based on the dates on your profile it looks like you have more than a year left and possibly an oppurtunity for another consideration. Beyond that you might be able to cross deck to another service.

My how times have changed!

Thank you for that, do you know what the re-enlistment code is going to be on my DD214? Can I still come back to the Marine Corps after being separated?

Again, thanks for that info.

honestly im not liking all thats been happening alot of good marines are being giving the boot im personally tired of hearing young recruits or even recent ones come in complain and try hard to be kicked out somehow when others would love to be in their place..my husbands been trying Keep at it I think you will get in just find the right recruiter that will try has hard has you do..and your code on your DD214 should be RE-1..Has long has you extend that should allow you to reenlist or have a better chance bc once your out it gets super hard for you prior guys (which is bull****)..anyways much luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your RE code will be RE-1b

Quote Originally Posted by AmityKnight View Post
    My Time-In-Service (TIS) is 7 years and 11 months and as for my Time-In-Grade (TIG), I have been a Sergeant for 3 years and 10 months.

I went from no-zone to in-zone last year, did not get selected, this year got all the MCI's in, no adverse, no NJP, nor page 11's, but no Special Duty Assignments either; Fought to get on Sereant's course, athough finally got on, I graduated the course after the Staff Sergeant selection board convened this year. We had two allocations open with 15 Marines competing for the spot, I was in the above-zone this year. Because of this, the board results came out on September 23rd, 2011, I did not get it, thus I have 2P's in total.

The new ECFC (Enlisted Career Force Controls) that came out, states that Sergeant's high tenure have been reduced from 13 to ten years and if the Marine Sergeant has two passed overs, that is it, he/she has to get out of the Marine Corps. Even though I have completed my reenlistment package and submitted to the career planners, they will not route that up to headquarters due to the new ECFC regulations.

I have been pretty bummed about this, thought about all the could of, should of, and would of, turned out futile. I love the Marine Corps, and I cannot picture myself doing anything else beside being a Marine.

Any suggestions and/or advice on any options I could stay in and/or be looked at again on the next year's board?

Your attention and time on reading this and providing a response will are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Why don't you go to Drill Instructor School. Once you get on the Drill Field if you keep your nose clean it should not be very hard to get promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by marsida View Post
    honestly im not liking all thats been happening alot of good marines are being giving the boot im personally tired of hearing young recruits or even recent ones come in complain and try hard to be kicked out somehow when others would love to be in their place..my husbands been trying Keep at it I think you will get in just find the right recruiter that will try has hard has you do..and your code on your DD214 should be RE-1..Has long has you extend that should allow you to reenlist or have a better chance bc once your out it gets super hard for you prior guys (which is bull****)..anyways much luck!
    I spent eight years climbing the corporate ladder prior to joining the Corps. And when I got meritorious Lance, and the chance to counsel other Junior Marines who, like you mentioned, whine and moan about our great Corps, I definitely gave them a piece of my mind. I had a pro/con mark of 4.9/4.8 as Corporal holding a Staff NCO billet, I definitely utilized that opportunity to lead by example. I love the Corps, as it is THE organization who truly emphasized on cultivating one's mind, body, and soul to their fullest potential. With the intention to submit a Meritorious Commissioning package with recommendation letters from a Colonel and a retired Brigadier General, a few setbacks along the way with some leadership that shouldn't have been leaders in the first place hindered that process - those, I'm sure, you've seen, without bearing nor integrity. Nevertheless, I will miss the Corps as long as this Universe exists. I attempted to visualize myself in other branches of the U.S. Armed forces, no matter how hard I try, I just couldn't other than being a U.S. Marine. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Why don't you go to Drill Instructor School. Once you get on the Drill Field if you keep your nose clean it should not be very hard to get promoted.
    Our MOS is a critical MOS, they're not allowing any more Marines to go on SDA's. And yes Gunnery Sergeant, being a Drill Instructor would be my only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Your RE code will be RE-1b
    Thank you. By the way, just out of curiosity, are you a career planner?

Credits
    Savings
    Well Sgt, I can tell you that in todays Marine Corps a b billet or special duty is going to make or break you. Go to Combat Instructor or DI Duty, and Its almost certain you will retain your status in your career in the Marine Corps, As soon as my package comes shortly next year im going to SOI-E get it out of the way. My mos is hard to pick up rank, picked up CPL with a 1711, Sgt is really high, so needless to say, I am noy going to take any chances,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmityKnight View Post
    Thank you. By the way, just out of curiosity, are you a career planner?
    No .... but I have walked in your shoes.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/bulkyker/dd214.jpg

Thread Information