What are my chances?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are my chances?

I've come to the conclusion that joining the Marines is something that I'd very much like to do. I spent many years of my life overweight and living an unhealthy lifestyle. Over the course of the last 12 months I've been driven by an incredible amount of newly found motivation. In that time I have gotten myself into very good shape. I run several miles a day, exercise in the gym for many hours a day, and I constantly push myself harder and harder. It's become an addiction.

Hand in hand with my lifestyle changes, there have been psychological changes as well. My confidence is high and I'm looking to achieve something great. Obviously I'm aiming high by looking to the Marines. I'm out of school and I already have a good job and earn a good wage in the private sector. My motivating factor here is nothing other than to be able to call myself a Marine, build character, and serve the country.

So here's the dilemma. I'm 27 years old as of April. And my highest level of education achieved is a high school diploma. I AM a smart guy though and would probably test well. Another concern is that I don't conform to the height/weight ratio chart, I'm a big guy and I carry a lot of muscle mass. I'm 6'1 248 lbs but my body fat percentage in on par with what the Marines accept. I could MAYBE stand to lose a little more but I would walk around LEAN at 230lbs. (Did I mention I used to weight 330lbs?)

In all honesty, does it look good for a guy like me? I have not reached out to a recruiter yet but only because of it being the holiday weekend.

Talk to a recruiter. Seriously. Reach out to one tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what they say. Your questions can be answered by the 'experts' (which they are) and what you'll get here is opinion, some of it expert, some...SWAG.

Thanks for filling out the profile. Also, let us know what the recruiter says.

Recruiters have tape measures and weight scales in their offices. Like said already, go talk to one, stand on the scales, get measured, ask your questions, and see what they say.

Don't be surprised if they have you get on the pull-up bar.

Come back and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Talk to a recruiter. Seriously. Reach out to one tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what they say. Your questions can be answered by the 'experts' (which they are) and what you'll get here is opinion, some of it expert, some...SWAG.

Thanks for filling out the profile. Also, let us know what the recruiter says.
    That is indeed the plan. I was just curious to see what type of feedback I'd get from some current Marines who are more in tune with what recruiting is like these days. I had read up in this forum a fair bit and the general attitude is that it's pretty stiff right now with the draw down taking place. I just hope the recruiter I speak with is willing to look a little deeper in my case because despite not having much in the way of the obvious qualifiers, I really do have the sheer will and determination to push myself mentally and physically to become the best Marine I can be.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Also quit using shampoo....because if you read the fine print on the bottle it will tell you the real reasons. When you wash your hair the shampoo runs down your whole body. Printed very clearly on the label it reads "For extra volume and body."

Get rid of that shampoo and start using Dawn dish liquid. On that label it clearly says--""Disolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove." Problem solved.....

With the above advice and this information you should be good to go on the losing weight.

Alright Im going to tell you straight up. If you are within regs including tape in and a recruiter knows you busted your @$$ he willl work with you. That right there is true Fn pure motivation. One of my best friends lost over 90lbs and is now a Marine that just checked in to the fleet. Work hard try to lose a little more body fat. Dont worry too much about weight if you tape out you are good. But you could always do last minute weight loss to meet weight. Not saying try to cheat the system but if you are motivated as you say you are keep working and one day you will rate to call yourself a Marine. Like everybody else said keep us informed. Best of luck

Well I had a pretty encouraging visit with a recruiter today. It's actually surprising how much BAD information there is on the internet concerning this sort of stuff. Everything from the age limit to the IST requirements is mostly wrong on all of the websites.

I fared well on the "screener" asvab test (the one they make you take on the spot to decide if they're going to even entertain you). I just want to brush up on my algebra a bit before I take the 200 question test, but aside from that I should test in pretty well. I was also able to crank out 5 good straight arm pull ups on the bar they had in the office. I think the recruiter is pretty satisfied with my conditioning. I KNOW I can run the 1.5 mile in 13:30 and the sit ups in 2 minutes.

So I just came home from the book store with "asvab for dummies". I'm going to study it, take the real test probably next week and hopefully get a high score.

But from where I sit now, all of the "issues" that I thought were going to preclude my eligibility do not appear to be a problem. I just might make the cut

I should also point out that in my original post I stated weighing 248lbs. In the time since I've dropped to 239. I'm almost completely lean at this point.

Toldja talking to the Recruiter was your BEST option and the way to get the most current, up to date, scoop. Good deal. Keep us updated.

Alright well I "simulated" an IST today and I run the 1.5 in 11:55 (on my high school track), 5 pull ups (yes, the correct form), and 47 sit ups. Those numbers pass, but I know I have work to do before I'm "boot camp ready".

I should mention though that is was nearly 100 degrees and unbelievably humid the day I ran that. I know for a fact that I have run 1 mile in 7:30, so I think my running time should improve a fair bit the next time I do it.

I'm going to go in for the real ASVAB Friday morning. I've been studying and I think I have a better grip on Algebra.

I don't really know what comes after that but I assume it's getting involved with a DEP. Maybe someone can fill me in on what to expect.

If you take your asvab and pass then yes if youre willing to commit then you can DEP in

After you swear in and sign your open contract then you can DEP in. You'll sign another contract with your MOS in it before shipping to bootcamp.

Just another quick update.

Well it's all looking pretty good for me right now

Just got back from taking the official ASVAB test and got a AFQT score of 75. Don't have the line scores yet but they'll come in 2 days. Evidently getting a score above 74 requires a MANDATORY interview for officer candidacy. I didn't set out to become an officer, but I'll humor it.

I'm 230lbs even now, can run the 1.5 in 11:00 and can do 8-10 locked out pull ups.

Feeling pretty good about my potential at this point. Looking forward to MEPS, choosing an MOS, and getting a ship date.

Quote Originally Posted by ryangassxx View Post
    Just another quick update.

Well it's all looking pretty good for me right now

Just got back from taking the official ASVAB test and got a AFQT score of 75. Don't have the line scores yet but they'll come in 2 days. Evidently getting a score above 74 requires a MANDATORY interview for officer candidacy. I didn't set out to become an officer, but I'll humor it.

I'm 230lbs even now, can run the 1.5 in 11:00 and can do 8-10 locked out pull ups.

Feeling pretty good about my potential at this point. Looking forward to MEPS, choosing an MOS, and getting a ship date.
    Good job man! Keep it up!

Above a 74 and you get interviewed for officer? lol i got a 93 and they shoved me in MOTOR T xD

Thread Information