PFT Scores
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFT Scores

PFT Scores

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen, question I have is about PFT scores. I am 27 and I read that a first class PFT score for me is 200 and above. Right now I am on a DD contract my IST score is 6 Pull ups 90 Crunches and 12 to 12:30 1.5 Mi.

Question I have is what are the adverse effects of a non first class PFT? Say you et the dreaded 2nd class or even worse 3rd class PFT. Do you not get promoted as quickly if at all, are you not able to get certain MOS's? I hear its better to get the 1st class than not but just inquiring as to what the adverse effect is.

I plan on working out now at the RSS fom about the 3rd till I ship im sure a lot of those numbers will change between now and then and also between Nov 14th and when I graduate Recruit Training.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Do you not get promoted as quickly if at all
    Correct. I'm not exactly sure how promotion works these days, but if it's like it was when I was in, you would get less points towrds promotion with a lower score.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Correct. I'm not exactly sure how promotion works these days, but if it's like it was when I was in, you would get less points towrds promotion with a lower score.
    Thank you for the response. I am in no way going into this with a defeatest mentality like I will not get first class just mainly analyzing from all angles.

Wookie is right. Your PFT score is one thing that contributes points toward your cutting score. Each rank for each MOS (Cpls and below only) have a cutting score. That score may fluctuate month to month. Just depends on where the Marine Corps wants to set it. So for instance, say you are a Lcpl and you have a cutting score of 1400. You go online when the cutting scores for promotion are released and you see the minimum score is a 1350. You're going to get promoted the following month.

Other factors that determine your cutting score: time in service, time in grade, rifle range scores, CFT score, MCIs, and pro-con marks. (I think that's everything)

First class score and above is always 300! Anything else is needs improvement. I don't run a 300 but I am always trying to get and get a little extra PT in so you should to. Your mind will fail before your body will just remember that when you train.

If you put out during PT, there's no reason you should walk away from boot camp with less than a 200. I went from barely passing the IST to a 240 during that time and I'm pushing for a 300 this spring. Just make it a point to always push yourself. Believe it or not you can get through boot camp without putting out but you can always tell who slimed.

The way it was explained to me was that your cutting score isn't a factor until you're trying for corporal.

Im in Intel school right now. Not being harsh or anything but if you dont start pt'ing on your own your not gonna have a fun time at bootcamp pt, mct pt, and you will get slayed at intel school pt. Look up log runs, crossfit, and combat conditioning and thats what youll be doing at school. So many poolee's think once you've earned the title your on top of the world and all the hard works done. Truthfully your life in the Corps has just kicked offed

Quote Originally Posted by Morrow54 View Post
    Im in Intel school right now.
    Excuse me for the hijack, but man, I miss being on Dam Neck. I was stationed there for a few years on the range next to DEVGRU. What good times. That's a sweet little spot.

Back to your PT...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrow54 View Post
    Im in Intel school right now. Not being harsh or anything but if you dont start pt'ing on your own your not gonna have a fun time at bootcamp pt, mct pt, and you will get slayed at intel school pt. Look up log runs, crossfit, and combat conditioning and thats what youll be doing at school. So many poolee's think once you've earned the title your on top of the world and all the hard works done. Truthfully your life in the Corps has just kicked offed
    I am PTing on my own i run almost every day and I am also doing the Georges St.Pierre rush fit. I work full time so I havent been able to PT at the rss I ship nov 14 and plan on going part time soon as to be able to PT at the station as much as i can before i depart.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you can't get higher than a 200 pft, then you should probably drop out and join the army. That is disgusting.

You should have been working-out way before enlisting. And don't give any excuses, such as, there isnt enough time to work-out. You frikin make time.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you can't get higher than a 200 pft, then you should probably drop out and join the army. That is disgusting.

You should have been working-out way before enlisting. And don't give any excuses, such as, there isnt enough time to work-out. You frikin make time.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post

Well that time frame was about a couple of weeks from the time i made the decision and to the time i had filled everything out and enlisted. Contrary to popular belief not everyone wanted to be a Marine when the popped out of the uterus but i do agree with the making time to work out. I do work out i just dont work out with the recruiting station yet but within the next couple of days i plan on showing up 2 to 3 times a day.

I do plan on getting over the 200 as well never said i was going to score less than that just asking about what happens if you dont, i compare it to when you are a kid and you ask your parents what happens if you touch fire you dont know so you ask. when i dont know something I ask.

I think you get a 200 just for showing up,,, seriously, I agree anything sub 250 leaving bootcamp is suspect to you being labeled a terd.

Good luck.

From when you are LCpl and beyond it factors in to your competitiveness for promotion. It will also factor into Pro and Con markings and fitrep markings (when you get to that point). The only adverse action that one can receive for a 2nd class PFT is slightly lower markings; nothing else can technically be done. However, Marines that can't achieve 1st class PFT scores tend to be broken or above HT/weight/appearance standards and there are other adverse actions associated with that.

Scoring a 200 is cake - someone that is barely in shape can do that - so you should have no issue with scoring a first class PFT, especially after bootcamp.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    If you can't get higher than a 200 pft, then you should probably drop out and join the army. That is disgusting. You should have been working-out way before enlisting. And don't give any excuses, such as, there isnt enough time to work-out. You frikin make time.
    This post does not answer the question posed, nor does it contain anything of substance or benefit to anyone. Try to be helpful and on topic.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My advice is helpful. He should know that scoring a 200 will be detrimental to his career, and will create lots of trouble from the other Marines in his platoon. I'm just being honest of what will happen to him if he goes into the fleet as a pt bum. No need to sugarcoat this.

Thread Information