My Mother and I were both Marine Sergeants
Create Post

My Mother and I were both Marine Sergeants

During WWII, My Mother was a Hollywood Model wearing the uniform of a U.S. Marine to help recruit women. She loved the uniform so much she joined. She was assigned to WM Drill duty at Cherry Point N.C. as a Sergeant in 1944, and at 5'-2" was issued a Browning Automatic Rifle. At that time before my Father (a Gunners Mate 2nd. Squid !) came along, she was married to a Marine Captain named "Taft". One night after dinner, he placed his overcoat on her shoulders to protect her from the rain, and as she entered the barracks, her platoon Commander snapped to attention and saluted, she knew she was in trouble. It cost her one stripe which was returned to her after one week by order of the Base Commander. You might say that I was brought up in "Green" diapers. She loved the Corps right up to her death in a V.A. Hospital in 1986. I know that when it's my turn I will see her again wearing Dress Blues, standing at a Parade Rest guarding Heavens gates.

GREAT story!!!

By all means post up pics of her if you have them.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sgthammer View Post
    During WWII, My Mother was a Hollywood Model wearing the uniform of a U.S. Marine to help recruit women. She loved the uniform so much she joined. She was assigned to WM Drill duty at Cherry Point N.C. as a Sergeant in 1944, and at 5'-2" was issued a Browning Automatic Rifle. At that time before my Father (a Gunners Mate 2nd. Squid !) came along, she was married to a Marine Captain named "Taft". One night after dinner, he placed his overcoat on her shoulders to protect her from the rain, and as she entered the barracks, her platoon Commander snapped to attention and saluted, she knew she was in trouble. It cost her one stripe which was returned to her after one week by order of the Base Commander. You might say that I was brought up in "Green" diapers. She loved the Corps right up to her death in a V.A. Hospital in 1986. I know that when it's my turn I will see her again wearing Dress Blues, standing at a Parade Rest guarding Heavens gates.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    God bless your mother.

my Mom enlisted during WW2 and was promoted to E5 6 weeks out of boot.she ran the Marine officers store.she told some funny stories about the Peacocks strutting around looking at them selves in the mirror.i went in in 1970 advanced up the ranks to E5.it took me a little longer to get there than she did.she was Marine through and through.she was the main reason i went in.SEMPER FI MOM

I have the Photo of my Mother in Uniform, but how do I post it ? I can't locate an icon for this Op. Thanks.

I have the Photo of my Mother in Uniform, but how do I post it ? I can't locate an icon for this Op. Thanks.
    have you considered hosting the picture on photobucket or facebook, and then linking the image here?

Thread Information