SEC Sports - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: SEC Sports

With the BCS its all about the money no two teams from the same Conference should be in the National Championship game but then the BCS has always been this way doe not matter who has the best record its who can get the BCS the most money look at 2007 Ohio St 11-2 vs LSU 11-2 (LSU Won) while Kansas and Hawaii both where 12-1.. now I hear some say none of those small school could beat any of the big schools I say how do you know that if they do not play each other, a play off is the only way to find out who is the best of the best. But be as that may be all I can say this year is go LSU

Quote Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
    Question: If the game is close but Alabama beats LSU, do you declare Alabama the National Champion or are they co-champions because they both have one loss to eachother?
    Only the AP can vote to split the national championship. The coaches and Harris polls are required to vote the winner of the BCS national championship game as the #1 team.

From Wikipedia.

AP Poll inclusion in the BCS

In 1997, the
    Bowl Championship Series (BCS) was developed to try to unify the poll results by picking two teams for a "real" national championship game.

For the first several years the AP Poll factored in the determination of the BCS rankings, along with other factors including the Coaches Poll and computer-based polls. Because of a series of controversies surrounding the BCS, the AP demanded in December, 2004, that its poll no longer be used in the BCS rankings,<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup> and so the 2004-2005 season was the last season that the AP Poll was used for this purpose.
    In the 2003 season the BCS system broke down when the final BCS standings ranked the University of Southern California (USC) at #3 while the two human polls in the system had ranked USC at #1. As a result, USC did not play in the BCS' designated national championship game. After defeating another highly ranked team, Michigan, in its final game, the AP Poll kept USC at #1 while the Coaches Poll was contractually obligated to select the winner of the BCS game, Louisiana State University (LSU), as the #1 team.

The resulting split national title was the very problem that the BCS was created to solve, and has been widely considered an embarrassment.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup>
    In 2004, a new controversy erupted at the end of the season when Auburn and Utah, who both finished the regular season 12-0, were left out of the BCS title game in favor of Oklahoma who also was 12-0 and had won decisively over Colorado in the Big 12 Championship game. USC went on to a win easily over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl while Auburn and Utah both won their bowl games, leaving three undefeated teams at the end of the season. Also, in that same year, Texas made up late ground on California (Cal) in the BCS standings and as a result grabbed a high-payout, at-large spot in the Rose Bowl. Previous to that poll, Cal had been ranked ahead of Texas in both human polls and the BCS poll. Going into their final game, the Golden Bears were made aware that while margin of victory did not affect computer rankings, it did affect human polls and just eight voters changing their vote could affect the final standings.<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]</sup>

Both teams won their game that week, but the Texas coach, Mack Brown, had made a public effort to lobby for his team to be moved higher in the ranking. When the human polls were released, Texas remained behind Cal, but it had closed the gap enough so that the BCS poll (which determines placement) placed Texas above Cal, angering both Cal and its conference, the Pac-10.<sup id="cite_ref-POLLS2004_9-0" class="reference">[10]</sup> The final poll positions had been unchanged with Cal at #4 AP, #4 coaches, and #6 computers polls and Texas at #6 AP, #5 coaches, and #4 computer polls.<sup id="cite_ref-POLLS2004_9-1" class="reference">[10]</sup> The AP Poll voters were caught in the middle because their vote changes were automatically made public, while the votes of the Coaches poll were kept confidential. Although there had been a more substantial shift in the votes of the Coaches Poll, the only clear targets for the ire of fanatical fans were the voters in the AP Poll. While officials from both Cal and the Pac-10 called for the coaches' votes to be made public, the overtures were turned down and did little to solve the problem of AP voters. Cal went on to lose to Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl. Texas defeated Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

Many members of the press who voted in the AP Poll were upset by the fiasco and, at the behest of its members, the AP asked that its poll no longer be used in the BCS rankings. The 2004 season was the last season that the AP Poll was used in the BCS rankings, it was replaced in the BCS equation by the newly created Harris Interactive College Football Poll.

NOW FIX THE GD FIX!

<sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference"></sup>

Great fan page!

But it seems like the SEC has trouble producing All-American Wrestlers, since like... forever?!
    hehe

Naww i joke, there was a T-Vol in 83 or 84 who grabbed a spot and finished his season in the top 8 at Nationals.

Heard tell Mizzou may be headed for the SEC? If so, they may have to cank that powerhouse wrestling program and trade it off for what....bass fishing??

Sorry guys, I've been out of pocket lately. But I'm back and getting ready for the BIG game. Now if we can just get the Saints to the Superbowl, what a year it will be! Tonight we play the Detroit Kittens. Here Kitty Kitty come see your daddy.

Here's a little something I put together for the up coming BCS game (rematch), just for you Brother Mitch. Enjoy ; - )

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EOS1Ib7ltP4?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

Cool

ALERT *****Breaking news from the New Orleans Superdome*****

University of Alabama practice was suspended for two hours today, when a player discovered a white substance on the field, the coach called police and after a complete analysis, experts determined the unknown white substance was the goal line. Practice resumed after a special agent determined the team was unlikely to come into contact with it.

[quote=jamielang1951;831027]ALERT *****Breaking news from the New Orleans Superdome*****

University of Alabama practice was suspended for two hours today, when a player discovered a white substance on the field, the coach called police and after a complete analysis, experts determined the unknown white substance was the goal line. Practice resumed after a special agent determined the team was unlikely to come into contact with it.

[/quote

W
    When BAMA gets through with LSU; the Tigers will be nothing but a small pussy cat.

Roll Tide Roll!

We beat Bama in their house, now they are in

OUR HOUSE

And we will rock you long time!

Your house? I thought the superdome was everyone's or the Saints house. Did LSU sell their stadium Jamie?

Alabama wins 14 th National Championship.
    Saban wins 3 rd BCS championship.
    LSU scored 6 points against Alabama in 8 regulation quarters this year.They crossed the 50 once tonight and had 92 yards of offense,The 21 -0 beating was sweet against the mad hatter. Alabama brought the crystal football home to Tuscaloosa.Saban proved again tonight when you give him time to prepare for a BCS game.He won't lose many times.Next to the Bear,Saban is the best coach ever. Roll Tide Roll.I had to opine after hearing all the LSU talk since we gave the game away in Tuscaloosa in November.I 'm in the mood for Bama's favorite soundtrack .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY&ob=av2e

[quote=Hammer3;831045]
    Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    ALERT *****Breaking news from the New Orleans Superdome*****

[/quote

W
    When BAMA gets through with LSU; the Tigers will be nothing but a small pussy cat.

Roll Tide Roll!
    Amen brother 21-0, 92 yards of offense,2 first downs, LSu scored 6 points against Bama in 8 regulation quarters this year.Total domination ! Roll Tide Roll

I was extremely pleased with the outcome of the game since I'm a BAMA man. The game was a statement that the TIDE wouldn't be denied!

However, I was mystefied as to the failure of LSU to mount a better game strategy. The Tigers are a great team, but this wasn't one of their best games regardless of the one sided score, and the A game of the TIDE. I frankly expected more from LSU.

Jamie, you reckon since the TIDE now owns the LSU House, that we could paint it Crimson?

Just kidding; it was fun and either team deserved to be national champion!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I had a Dream last Nite that I was sitting with Bear Bryant and having a Beer,this Morning My Wife told Me that tha Crimson Tide Rolled Over LSU...Dam now I'm really gonna Chug This 30 Pack~~~

How about it Jaime?

I'd like to know what LSU has been doing for the last month cause they sure weren't preparing for this game. It's like they just expected to show up and Alabama hand them the trophy; they looked like they didn't even want to be there let alone play hard. Total disaster from coaches game plan/decision making, players, offense, defense, and special teams. Honey badger a non-factor...no tigers there...only kittens! Oklahoma State couldn't have done any worse than a shut out and not crossing the 50 yard line till the 4th quarter.

so when is the tie breaker

Thread Information