How often can a non-infantry MOS see combat?
Create Post

How often can a non-infantry MOS see combat?

I'm depped in with a ship date of Oct. 11th 2011. I already have signed for Aircraft mechanic, but after a lot of research on this particular field I've found that it has A LOT of positions that I could get thrown into, and a majority of them are unappealing to me and were not mentioned when I was choosing my MOS.

So I've decided I want to talk to my recruiter and see if I can't try to get a new MOS when new jobs come out in the beginning of Oct.
    When I go to speak with him tomorrow, I want to have a new MOS field in mind.

So, with that being said, I don't want an infantry MOS. At the same time, I don't want to be sitting at a desk or in a hanger all day. For example, my recruiter is an electrician, but he's already deployed to Iraq with Recon. I want a job with this kind of flexibility and I feel like I will be restricted to being on a base, in a hanger for my entire 5 year contract with the aircraft MOS.

Please forgive me for any ignorance I might have, and thanks to you all in advance for your replies.

Try checking into combat support (CE). As far as I know you could end up in Artillery, tanks, or LAAD Gunner (that might be being phased out though). I was arillery and never shot it in Iraq. The first deployment was as convoy security, and the second time was as CAG. I know arty can be tasked to do a number of different things.

I'm sure some other people on here can help you out more though.

After your 5 years is over and you get out, I'm betting it will be easier to find a job in the aircraft field than as a rifleman and probably for a lot more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    After your 5 years is over and you get out, I'm betting it will be easier to find a job in the aircraft field than as a rifleman and probably for a lot more money.
    Without a doubt. But I chose the Marine Corps over the airforce, army and navy for the experience, among other things. I expected that being Infantry first, I would be able to maintain a solid support MOS while still being able to experience what being infantry is all about. Granted, I wholeheartedly understand that I will never truly understand what it is to be a grunt but I still would like to be able to grasp that basic understanding.

From what I hear, all Marines have to go through SOI.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Despite the phrase "Every Marine is a rifleman," relatively few Marines actually get a chance to do the rifleman thing. Most "combat" will be done by infantry, armor, amtracks, artillery, some military police, some Motor Transport, some commo people, some aviation (in helos for enlisted), and a few others. Those folks will participate in probably 95% of all "combat."

The rest might get mortared or rocketed on occasion at their base or FOB. Perhaps a minor ground attack of some sort that will mostly be handled by whomever is on the gates or perimeter (probably grunts or MPs).

Thread Information