Enlisting in the Marine Reserve to go to College?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlisting in the Marine Reserve to go to College?

I'm looking at enlisting in the Marine Reserve so that I can begin college ASAP instead of going active with a slim possibility of getting into MECEP. The plan is to enlist, go to boot, get home and have a little money/be earning grade & time in the Corps while attending college for the next 4 years while doing PLC to become an officer and then go active.

1) Does this sound like a good/feasible plan?

2) What MOS should I ask for? (thinking something aircrew related? possibly intel)

3) I want to deploy, bottom line. It can happen during college, after college idc. What MOS is good for that, as a female? Will I deploy as a reservist?

I've talked to MANY recruiters and checked out the forum without finding satisfactory answers. I would greatly appreciate your honest answers/opinions/advice.

It is very feasible. In fact that is one of the best purposes behind going reserves rather than active. Regarding MOS, it is dependent on the unit you join, which is typically going to be the unit closest to you. Being that you want to go to college you will also want to ensure that you can still make monthly drills regardless of whether you are at school or home. Regarding deployments, that will also depend on what unit you join. I would recommend you stay away from headquarter Companies/Squadrons/Batteries. Also, I know the air wing units around me rarely deploy. You want to deploy, join a victor unit (ie infantry, artillery, tanks, combat engineer, etc...)

Credits
    Savings
    I'd go infantry in a New York minute if the Corps would let me, but until infantry/combat MOS's are open to females it seems that my best option for deploying is aircrew. Thanks for your reply!

My bad, did not even think to look at your profile to see that you were a female. Well now seeing that you are in Birmingham, I would recommend that you contact a recruiter about the 4th Ground Sensor Platoon, HQSVC Co, Intel Support Bn in Mobile. I know this is quite a trek, however you are dead in the middle of a victor unit sandwich. There are also a couple of units in Marietta, Georgia. One was a Motor T Maintenance Co, and the other a HQ Co for HQSVC BN. Not sure what their deployment rotations are like. A recruiter will be able to tell you the MOS availability of these units. You can also google USMC Reserve Units, locate the Marines.mil link and look for yourself. This will just show what units are where.

Credits
    Savings
    I should have told you that I am moving to Katy, TX in December and that I plan to enlist there...sorry for the confusion. I will use the locator to check out Reserve units. Is it important what MOS I choose since I will be in the Reserve therefore not doing my job everyday?

You will have a limited selection of MOS depending on what is available around you in Katy, TX and what you are qualified for. Once you enlist down there, you will have a better idea.

My advice to you is to stop trying to do it all at once. If you enlist in the reserves, don't worry about your MOS because it will change once you become an officer. Once you become an officer and go onto active duty, that is where you are most likely to deploy. Only the recruiters and reserve Marines in the area you are looking to enlist in know when those units are scheduled to deploy.

Thread Information