Getting IT'd/PT'd in bootcamp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting IT'd/PT'd in bootcamp

Good afternoon Marines. I was just wondering about IT and PT, more so IT. I looked all over this site and found nothing about IT. What kind of stuff did your DI's make you do? How long does it last? How hard is it? I have heard some say it lasts no longer than 4 or 5 minutes, others say over an hour. And about PT, many have told me it's very easy and that if you actually want a good workout, try to get IT'd if you can withoug actually screwing up. My PFT is currently at 20 pull-ups, 180 crunches, and 19:30 3 mile run, if that means anything at the beggining of bootcamp.

I would greatly appreciate and answers on the matter, or if it has already been covered, could you please direct me to the right thread. And thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by James321 View Post
    Good afternoon Marines. I was just wondering about IT and PT, more so IT. I looked all over this site and found nothing about IT. What kind of stuff did your DI's make you do? How long does it last? How hard is it? I have heard some say it lasts no longer than 4 or 5 minutes, others say over an hour. And about PT, many have told me it's very easy and that if you actually want a good workout, try to get IT'd if you can withoug actually screwing up. My PFT is currently at 20 pull-ups, 180 crunches, and 19:30 3 mile run, if that means anything at the beggining of bootcamp.

I would greatly appreciate and answers on the matter, or if it has already been covered, could you please direct me to the right thread. And thanks again.
    IT consists of the following exercises: push-ups, crunches, bicycle crunches, mountain climbers, running in place, and arm rotations (Sun Gods). They might have put in jumping jacks since I've been gone; they were talking about putting those in. It lasts as long as it's supposed to. There IS an SOP for incentive training, and it's mostly adhered to (Must be more than three exercises, cannot be done more than ten minutes per hour, must be done in sand or on the quarterdeck, etc) for normal recruits, but the rules are generally bent for the Private Pyles of the platoon. It definitely sucks. The DI will push you till muscle failure, and it sucks to be physically incapable of doing another push-up while the DI is screaming for you to push. And yes, it doesn't matter how fit you are. Even Paul Hamm can't do push-ups forever.

PT itself in boot camp is a joke. I think we PTed five times in the three months we were there. Most of our workouts came from getting smoked. I suggest working out on your own during free time; there are usually weights, and there's definitely a pull-up bar. My run time went down during boot camp because we didn't do much of it.

As for your own physical fitness, you're doing great. You'll probably be a standout recruit. Don't offer to get yourself ITed. Don't worry, it'll happen just on its own. And if you're a squad leader / guide, you'll be getting ITed for other people's mistakes anyway.

Oh, ok cool, thanks, that answered most of my questions. So I'm guessing that the key is be loud, motivated, and don't screw up it bootcamp and I hould be good. So how would I go about making that 285 a 300 PFT while there? Thats also what I want to work on the most while I'm there.

So how would I go about making that 285 a 300 PFT while there? Thats also what I want to work on the most while I'm there.
    Ain't gonna happen. There just isn't the chance to do enough running. If you aren't running sub-18 by the time you get there, you aren't going to be doing it by the time you do your final PFT.

Here's how it works. There's something like 5-6 scheduled formal PT sessions (Goooooood mooorning <letter> company! My name is First Sergeant Polesmoker! I will be leading you in your warmup and conditioning exercises!). Those PT sessions usually consist of calisthenics and a circuit course.

There's the Initial PFT, which is of course three miles. And then there's the Final PFT.

Aside from that, the only time you'll be running is the following:

1. When you're in a hurry to get from one place to the other.
    2. When the platoon looks like ass during drill and the DI tells you to "run that way."
    3. When you're hiking and the DIs decide to break up the group and then have you clump back together.

So I hope you have some time before you ship, because there isn't much of a way to improve once you get there. The only real thing you can do is to take a scuz brush and sprint up and down the squad bay during free time. Other than that, you can't train running.

Oh, ok cool, thanks, that answered most of my questions. So I'm guessing that the key is be loud, motivated, and don't screw up it bootcamp and I hould be good. So how would I go about making that 285 a 300 PFT while there? Thats also what I want to work on the most while I'm there.
    I think there's a whole different level of motivation at boot camp. That will probably increase your speed enough to raise that score. Don't worry that the PT in boot won't be enough...you'll get plenty of it, and anyone who tells you it's easy has a screw loose. It's not hanging around a gym flexing and maxing bench presses. The PT in boot is designed to work and stimulate specific muscle groups on your body, to make you a more able and agile weapon of mass destruction. Once you are there and experiencing it, you will know how full of hot air those guys are that say it's not much of a workout. Think back on this thread halfway up the mountains or during the crucible. Good luck and keep your powder dry!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaham View Post
    IT consists of the following exercises: push-ups, crunches, bicycle crunches, mountain climbers, running in place, and arm rotations (Sun Gods). They might have put in jumping jacks since I've been gone; they were talking about putting those in. It lasts as long as it's supposed to. There IS an SOP for incentive training, and it's mostly adhered to (Must be more than three exercises, cannot be done more than ten minutes per hour, must be done in sand or on the quarterdeck, etc) for normal recruits, but the rules are generally bent for the Private Pyles of the platoon. It definitely sucks. The DI will push you till muscle failure, and it sucks to be physically incapable of doing another push-up while the DI is screaming for you to push. And yes, it doesn't matter how fit you are. Even Paul Hamm can't do push-ups forever.

PT itself in boot camp is a joke. I think we PTed five times in the three months we were there. Most of our workouts came from getting smoked. I suggest working out on your own during free time; there are usually weights, and there's definitely a pull-up bar. My run time went down during boot camp because we didn't do much of it.

As for your own physical fitness, you're doing great. You'll probably be a standout recruit. Don't offer to get yourself ITed. Don't worry, it'll happen just on its own. And if you're a squad leader / guide, you'll be getting ITed for other people's mistakes anyway.
    How did you become privey to how many reps the Drill Instructor can administer to a recruit? Were you a Drill Instructor?(I don't think so) Maybe you got your hands on a Recruit Training SOP. If the number of reps are say 25 and the Recruit gets to 24, the Drill Instructor says you are doing the exercise wrong and to start over, so the number of reps mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    How did you become privy to how many reps the Drill Instructor can administer to a recruit?
    I asked.

Asked whom? Your Drill Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Asked whom? Your Drill Instructor.
    No, of course not, he probably would have asked me to time myself as I got ITed or something similarly witty. I asked a retired master sergeant who served as a DI what the mechanics of IT were. He stated that there was a card that DIs were required to carry at all times, and that it very clearly stated the limits as to what they could do.

This card he spoke of used to be called a SI (Supplemental Instruction) card. As I stated in my other post the card stated how many reps you could give a private depending on which phase he was in. Also as I stated before, all you had to do was stop the Recruit one shy of the total reps and tell him to start over.

So you violated the SOP Old Marine?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I was scribe for my platoon, I had occasion to read the SOP section regarding IT. In fact, I was ordered to allow any recruit to read that section if they desired. There were a few recruits having a little mutiny over IT reps.

I was amazed how much the DIs could give at one session (in 1971). I also recall clearly noting that Old Marine is correct. The SOP did set forth that the exercise repetitions had to be correctly performed to count. It was one of those "light bulb" moments in life. A loophole big enough to drive a tank through.

Naturally, the "start over" loophole was used on us daily.

BTW the mutineers got a maximum pit session straight out of the SOP (I had to write it out specially for the event). They came back in looking like they got hit by that tank coming through the loophole and then buried in sand.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc89pi View Post
    So you violated the SOP Old Marine?
    Of course I never ever violated the SOP. I was only giving an example of Supplementary Instruction.

I am sure some of the Marines who went through Boot Camp back in the 60's can varify how it was administered.

My senior DI looked at incentive training as just pt- just more intense. He actually encouraged recruits to 'volunteer' to get IT'ed (w/out screwing up. If I were you, I'd keep a low profile. From experience (this depends on you Drill Instructors) the faster you do the exercises (ie put out the effort) the more likely the IT session will be shorter. I did high knees (in place, push ups, up downs, crunches, mountain climbers, jumping jacks (side straddle hops), steam engine exercises, and hello dollies. IT sessions have to be done in the sand pits or quarter deck.

We always heard "Gimme ten in my classroom!" We learned very quickly to hustle our butts up there or it was going to be much worse than originally intended. He finally caught on that the same 10 or 11 of us were going there every time and thrashed the entire platoon. Ah, the memories...

Thread Information