Report for school on Life as a Marine
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Report for school on Life as a Marine

I have started my report and am wanting to know any sugestion any one has to add to my report.

Life As A United States Marine

Life During Boot Camp (comparison between 1963 and present day boot camp): Back in 1963 to some boot camp felt like a federal prison for the whole 13 weeks. There were three DI’s (Drill Instructors) and a lot of hands on contact for punishment. The DI’s treated the recruits as the enemy would and which case is was brutal training for every waking moment of every day for the 13 weeks they were on Parris Island. Some Marines from back than might compare boot camp to the movie Full Metal Jacket. Now a day’s boot camp isn’t so much like this anymore. Some Marines today say they liked boot camp. Today it is filled with a lot of extra PT (Physical Training) for punishment, which is what the Marines call “quarter decking”. The Marine Corps boot camp is still very much demanding but not as brutal as it was back in 1963. Boot camp is broken up into three phases. Phase one is where they break you down. It is a high stressed environment and everyone is on edge. Because the DI’s jump on everyone for everything. Phase two is where Marines go to the rifle range; it is a bit less stressful because the DI’s can’t jump down your throats as much because there is much more training involved. Phase three is called Basic Warrior Training, its more training and the crucible. By this phase the DI’s are more focused on jumping down individuals throats. Back in 1963 you were allowed to smoke cigarettes in boot camp but only in the strictest set of circumstances and if no one messed up during the day. If they did well than smoking after chow would not be allowed for that day. You have to march outside and form a circle while a bucket full of water was in the middle of the circle. You had to light your cigarettes at attention and march to the bucket of water to flick your ash in the bucket because you could not let any ashes hit the ground of Parris Island. And than you had to do an about face and march back to your spot in the circle and do and about face again and stand there until you have to flick your ashes again. Everything waking minute was accounted for and nothing was easy or free. And if one recruit disobeyed orders all recruits in the Platoon were punished for it. You are trained for combat so there is no messing up and getting away with it.

How Boot Camp Affected the Families: Back in 1963 you didn’t see as much drama from the families as you do now. Parents were proud of their sons/daughters that joined the Corps. They wrote letters back and forth as they still do now. Now a day’s you will see more tears from families when their son/daughter join the Corps. Both than and now families still go to the graduation and than the new Marines can go home after boot camp for a 10 day leave.

How You See You Have Changed From Enlistment to Becoming A US Marine: From the time you enlist in the Marine Corps to the time you become a Marine there is a big transformation of yourself. Once you become a Marine you see that you have become a lot more self confident, responsible, have a lot more honor in yourself also in your country, and you see that you can now do a lot more things that you have ever imagined yourself being able to do. You also find who you are as a person and become a lot more ambitious.

Thank you in advance.

Credits
    Savings
    Lol, yes of course Dave credit is given where it is deserved. And I thank you for the information you have given me. And credit also to omegaham to for giving me a few ideas to.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    For any Marine saying boot camp is easy now-a-days, is full of crap. If you asked them How boot camp is while they were in the middle of it, it would be a completely different answer. I've responded to this type of stuff before, but I dont feel like scooping it up.

Credits
    Savings
    Marine Corps "boot camp'", is probibly the most difficult thing on earth anyone could ever immagine describing to someone who didnt go through it. Especially when most of the Marines I know through life are lacking the "Finess" and are lacking in the to describe the true MULTI feelings a Marine earns for the time they spend while there.
    PT/pitting isnt about punishment most times .. It was more about teaching individuals about Personal Responsibilities, and an ability for recruits to learn that they are much more able to DELIVER beyond the recruits personal beliefs, and learn a deep understanding of teamwork and dedication.
    Your article seemed to lack the the vast amount of training that is delivered to recruits while they attend . It is more than , (break you down"mentaly"), (fill you up *Technicly), (polish you up) and ("kick" your can down the road) to continue your MarineCorps Adventure in life.

(New- Younger- Marines) are exactly like us Old Marines,,,They just shine more because their paint is newer
    Boot camp, is only a start. But it is the one thing that all Marines have in common. It is talked about many times, laughed about, cried about sometimes.
    Full Metal Jacket, you mentioned as a example , Parts of that film were sort of realistic indeed. But consider it like a CoffeeTable picture book, that only shows what the person looking thinks they see. Perhaps like a travel guide and you want to consider the thought of a trip to see the country.
    MarineCorps bootcamp is only a starting point,,,,,and like i said,, the one thing in life ,when given time and the right conditions, will most likely come up in conversation when two Marines meet later down the pike.
    TheFew who earn the title, hold the mystery ...
    IF you see a Eagle , Globe and Anchor -"MarineCorps bumper sticker"...Think of it as (One Marines invitation to another Marine) that actually means, Come-on-Over ,, and lets shoot the $hit about boot camp. Its hard to be humble, when you know you''re the best

Nowdays Marines, are exactly like us Old Marines,,only their paint is shinyer

Credits
    Savings
    I've only been going on information I have been told. Which is why I have posted my report on here so I can get new sugestions to add to my report to make it correct and the best it can be. I will edit information.

Credits
    Savings
    I graduated in 1965 so my perspective is similar ---

While boot camp has changed it is still a demanding period of time that not all graduate

Today's Marines have no cake walk as is inferred (not stated --but inferred)
    To graduate is a life accomplishment

Perhaps a little rewording ?

How about adding something about the Core values HONOR-COURAGE-COMMITTMENT

these values guide ones life beyond boot camp

Credits
    Savings
    Indeed yes I will reword and add the Core values. Thank you : )

Credits
    Savings
    Life as a United States Marine

Life during Boot Camp (comparison between 1963 and present day boot camp): Back in 1963 to some boot camp felt like a federal prison for the whole 13 weeks. There were three DI’s (Drill Instructors) and a lot of hands on contact for punishment. The DI’s treated the recruits as the enemy would and which case was brutal training for every waking moment of every day for the 13 weeks they were on Parris Island. Some Marines from back than might compare boot camp to the movie Full Metal Jacket. Now a day’s boot camp isn’t so much like this anymore. Some Marines today say they liked boot camp. Today it is filled with a lot of extra PT (Physical Training) for punishment, which is what the Marines call “quarter decking”. The Marine Corps boot camp is still very much demanding. It is a life accomplishment to graduate from Marine Corps boot camp. Boot camp is broken up into three phases. Phase one is where they break you down. It is a high stressed environment and everyone is on edge. Because the DI’s jump on everyone for everything. Phase two is where Marines go to the rifle range; it is a bit less stressful because the DI’s can’t jump down your throats as much because there is much more training involved. Phase three is called Basic Warrior Training, its more training and the crucible. By this phase the DI’s are more focused on jumping down individuals throats. Back in 1963 you were allowed to smoke cigarettes in boot camp but only in the strictest set of circumstances and if no one messed up during the day. If they did well than smoking after chow would not be allowed for that day. You have to march outside and form a circle while a bucket full of water was in the middle of the circle. You had to light your cigarettes at attention and march to the bucket of water to flick your ash in the bucket because you could not let any ashes hit the ground of Parris Island. And than you had to do an about face and march back to your spot in the circle and do and about face again and stand there until you have to flick your ashes again. Everything waking minute was accounted for and nothing was easy or free. And if one recruit disobeyed orders all recruits in the Platoon were punished for it. You are trained for combat so there is no messing up and getting away with it.

How Boot Camp Affected the Families: Back in 1963 you didn’t see as much drama from the families as you do now. Parents were proud of their sons/daughters that joined the Corps. They wrote letters back and forth as they still do now. Now a day’s you will see more tears from families when their son/daughter join the Corps. Both than and now families still go to the graduation and than the new Marines can go home after boot camp for a 10 day leave.

How You See You Have Changed From Enlistment to Becoming A US Marine: From the time you enlist in the Marine Corps to the time you become a Marine there is a big transformation of yourself. Once you become a Marine you see that you have become a lot more self confident, responsible, have a lot more honor in yourself also in your country, and you see that you can now do a lot more things that you have ever imagined yourself being able to do. You also find who you are as a person and become a lot more ambitious.

The Best Parts about Being a US Marine: The best part about being a United States Marine is the Marines. The bonds you make in the Marines are stronger than any other bond there is. You take a group of people that have never met before and put them through Marine Corps boot camp and when they come out it is as if they are family and have known each other forever.

Marine Corps Core Values: Honor, courage, and commitment. These are more than just words they are a way of life. These are the guidelines Marines live by. Honor means that Marines are held to the highest standards of respect and responsibility ethically and morally. Courage is the mental, moral, and physical strength ingrained in every Marine to face fear and overcome it. Commitment is the determination and dedication found in every Marine that compels that to serve our country and the Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    This is just a little bit of editing I know there is still more and am working on that right now.

Credits
    Savings
    WOW!
    Looking good Codi

As you said,a couple typos-I make those all the time ----

If the thread is closed and I can assist. PM me

Apache. (gehrij)

Credits
    Savings
    If it does get closed I will indeed thank you very much.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Dave and I will let you know. I'm not sure how long it has to be. I asked my teacher about it yesterday when I only had the three topics on the report and he said it was a good start now add some more stuff to it.

Credits
    Savings
    Wow thank you Dave, and um I can try to renumber and add an outline.

Credits
    Savings
    Okay well my teacher has asked for one more section that he can think of to add to my report and that is "The bad parts about being a Marine" So far I have written down the long distances between a Marinea nd his/her family back homea nd the indangerment of his/her life. I was wondering if there is anything else I can add to this section. I know there really isn't much to add to this section due to 99% of everything about being a Marine is great. But any informatin would be helpful thank you in advance.

The pay is terrible.
    Do not know if it is true today, but a Sgt. used to qualify for Food Stamps.

Thread Information