I didn't lie so recruiter won't work with me
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I didn't lie so recruiter won't work with me

Hello Marines,
    I have a question about waivers. First, some background information:
    I have a history of asthma and possible eczema. At the recruiting substation I filled out medical pre-screen paperwork to be sent to MEPS regarding these. I have a recent test and a doctors letter about the test which apparently shows no evidence of asthma. The same doctor also told me before that he thinks I have eczema, but I have undergone no testing or procedure regarding that possible diagnosis. I desired to be open and honest, in line with the Marine Corps Value of Honor, and thus reported that medical information on the form. My recruiters basically told me to lie without telling me to lie. I did not give in. MEPS denied the request for examination, or whatever it is. When I learned about this from one of the recruiters he told me that because I did not listen to them about reporting the medical history they did not want to work with me. So because I would not lie as instructed, these Marines would not go above and beyond and try to help me enlist. I understand they are not obligated to do so- I am disqualified, but it is the reasoning for it that I find unacceptable. If one looks at my history on these forums, my long struggle to enlist will be seen.

I am planning on calling the SNCOIC of the RSS tomorrow and see if she is privy to all of that. She has told me that the Marine Corps is not like the Army, and that they would not have me lie. If she didn't know, then maybe she will work with me. If she did know, then I find their behavior gravely unbecoming of a Marine, and I would like to report what happened to someone higher up in their CoC.

Marines, my questions to you are these: If these Marines will not help me, how do I enlist? You are familiar with the system from the inside and I ask for your aid. Who is the proper person in the CoC to contact about this? Their Gunny or XO? Or even higher up? I understand any reluctance to sort of send some of your fellow Marines up the river, but I boldly say the behavior demonstrated is unacceptable and should never characterize someone who has earned the title of United States Marine, and they should be accountable for it.

Thank you for your time, and for your service.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So if you don't have it, then why mention it in your pre-screen paperwork. There is a difference between being honest, and just plain retarded. There is no need to put down every little detail of your life. You might as well tell them you shat your diapers and ****ed your pants when you were little. Heck, you should tell them you're a virgin too.

Seems like you asked these questions before and they've been answered already.......

Can a civilian PT with the recruiters?
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103709&page=2

Contigency Plan for medical DQ
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...650#post799650

This question no doubt is similar to my others, but is unique.

The prescreen form asks if I now have or have ever had a history of asthma. Yes is the correct answer. It asks the same thing about eczema. I wasn't sure and asked the recruiter. He told me to put it on there. He knew I was trying to be honest and apparently his judgement was that that was the honest thing to do with that specific medical issue. I have deferred to him on other things on that form in that nothing was mentioned because it was not what MEPS was looking for in the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Twacker View Post
    This question no doubt is similar to my others, but is unique.

The prescreen form asks if I now have or have ever had a history of asthma. Yes is the correct answer. It asks the same thing about eczema. I wasn't sure and asked the recruiter. He told me to put it on there. He knew I was trying to be honest and apparently his judgement was that that was the honest thing to do with that specific medical issue. I have deferred to him on other things on that form in that nothing was mentioned because it was not what MEPS was looking for in the question.
    Yeah, sometimes we find ourselves in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation.

Of course, not a one of us are privy to the conversation(s) you have had with your recruiter(s). We can only speculate this or that.

For instance, I can imagine a conversation going like this:

Potential Recruit: I have had a problem with asthma in the past. Should I tell them?
    Recruiter: If you tell them you have had asthma, they more than likely will disqualify you.
    PR: And I don't have a diagnosis for eczema, but a doctor said I might have it. What will happen if I tell MEPS?
    Recruiter: If you tell them you have eczema, they may disqualify you on that, too.
    PR: So are you telling me to lie that I don't have asthma or eczema?
    Recruiter: I am just telling you if you tell them, you risk being disqualified.

You did what you felt was the right thing to do, and nobody is saying you should have done differently, but apparently you have been DQ'd or preliminarily DQ'd, and it is more or less out of the recruiter's hands at this point.

Can you get waivers? I don't know. Can you appeal it? Don't know that either. At this point, it would be good to hear from a recruiter.

Good luck, though.

If those two things are the only stumbling blocks on your way to becoming a Marine, then here is what I would recommend. Obtain a letter from you doctor stating that you no longer exhibit signs of asthma, and that you have not suffered from that malady for X number of years. At the same time, get tested for eczema, and if those results are negative, get that in writing as well. Armed with these two documents, do an internet search for medical conditions that you can get a waiver for and determine if there has been a sufficient amount of time lapsed since your last asthma and eczema symptoms have occurred. Someone more computer savvy than me can probably put a link in here to those regulations. If there has been sufficient time between the last symptoms and now, then you MAY qualify for a medical waiver. If not, then wait it out....just my two cents....

Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    If those two things are the only stumbling blocks on your way to becoming a Marine, then here is what I would recommend. Obtain a letter from you doctor stating that you no longer exhibit signs of asthma, and that you have not suffered from that malady for X number of years. At the same time, get tested for eczema, and if those results are negative, get that in writing as well. Armed with these two documents, do an internet search for medical conditions that you can get a waiver for and determine if there has been a sufficient amount of time lapsed since your last asthma and eczema symptoms have occurred. Someone more computer savvy than me can probably put a link in here to those regulations. If there has been sufficient time between the last symptoms and now, then you MAY qualify for a medical waiver. If not, then wait it out....just my two cents....
    From all medical sources....."
    There is no cure for asthma, although symptoms sometimes improve over time. With proper self management and medical treatment, most people with asthma can lead normal lives."

For those inclined to study the reasons and why most people with a history of childhood asthma are DQed.Here is 20 pages from the DOD which makes the rules for all services.

http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/...ne/RM-ch06.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    There are 2 or 3 recruiters on here, do you want to PM one or two, original poster??
    Yeah, I would like that. Could you link me to them or tell me their names?

I do have a letter that says I have have had no symptoms of asthma in recent years and it says the test results I sent with it also show no signs of asthma.

Thank you for the helpful responses, Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    There is no cure for asthma, although symptoms sometimes improve over time. With proper self management and medical treatment, most people with asthma can lead normal lives."
    Just not in the military, apparently. Or so it would seem.

That's interesting, because I have known several children who had asthma when they were younger, but when they entered their teen years, they outgrew it and never had a problem since.

However, when it is adult onset, which is what I have, it can be controlled, but does not seem to go away. There have been instances where it goes into almost a remission, but when the person is exposed to a trigger, boom, it's back.

So...any thoughts on that?

I grew up with my parents telling me I had both of those things......I went into the Marine Corps saying I had neither, not in my record either. Everything went fine for me.

Lesson learned here

Those are 2 items you don't want to talk about if you have no documentation for having them.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    That's interesting, because I have known several children who had asthma when they were younger, but when they entered their teen years, they outgrew it and never had a problem since.

However, when it is adult onset, which is what I have, it can be controlled, but does not seem to go away. There have been instances where it goes into almost a remission, but when the person is exposed to a trigger, boom, it's back.

So...any thoughts on that?
    A little reading for you.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/137501-overview

When in the Corps I was always told never volunteer. That goes for information also. You have not been properly diagnosed as having eczema so why say you have it??? My recruiter told me as much also. Simple yes and no answers, no need to give more info then what is requested. That is not lying! If they wanted to know they would ask. Besides that I got a BUMED waiver to get into the Corps. It was a long drawn out process but well worth it.

Dan, thanks for the article, interesting reading. Just out of curiosity, I did a little research on the question, "Can children outgrow asthma?" It appears the leading authorities on the subject believe that asthma can go into "remission," or "lie dormant" for years or never resurface again at all, but that there are certain environmental triggers that can bring back an onset.

I know a young man who is 23. When he was a child, he was hospitalized numerous times for asthma. But somewhere around 15 he had no further problems and has not since. His environment has not changed at all, but there are apparently triggers that could bring back an onset.

I have a 14 year old who just joined my xc team, and it is interesting. When he runs, I notice a wheezing sound, but when he stops the wheezing goes away. Whenever we have a hard set, he starts to cough and bend over when running and go through some contortions. A week ago we were running some aggressive hill repetitions, and as I pulled alongside him, he was making all sort of wheezing sounds, coughing, bending over, even had tears in his eyes. So I stopped him. He was making this awful loud wheezing. Since I am an asthmatic, I know that asthma can cause cough attacks, but that the loud sound is more symptomatic of panic. I told the boy that wheezing does not come out of your voice box and to take a huge breath, swallow, and breathe out slowly through the nose. He did this and behold, all sounds, coughing gone, and he was breathing normally. So I am working with him and talking to his parents. If you are a nonrunner, and you start running, it can hurt. Chest burns, heart rate is higher than you have ever had it, and you experience a new feeling! In one week his "wheezing" is nearly eliminated. Definitely a new one for me to deal with.

But it appears, as far as the experts say, like once a Marine, always a Marine...once an asthmatic, always an asthmatic.

Thread Information