"Concave Chest" at MEPS
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

"Concave Chest" at MEPS

Hello, I am a high school graduate who has been in contact with my recruiter for some time. For the past two days i've been at MEPS taking my ASVAB and the various medical exams.

ASVAB Score: 88
    Medical Exams/Drug & Blood tests: All passed.

Then, at the last portion when the doctor goes over everything, he asked me to lift up my shirt. He called two other doctors in to examine my chest. Low and behold, the lower sternum area was sunken a devastating 3.5 cm. The doctors debated this shortly, seeing if the others saw it.

Long story short, I got disqualified because the doctors flat-out told me that I could never run more than 1.5 miles (I used to do this almost daily after school for extra NJROTC credit), considering how fit I am and I've never had breathing problems with running, is this BS? I told them this and they said they'd give me a waiver. Still i'm a little frustrated.

TL;DR: Has anyone else been "Diagnosed" with a Concave Chest?
    Are the doctors being super-strict because Afghanistan is starting to close?

Did you run with an extra 80 pounds of gear,was the temperature above 100 degrees? Do you think you could be geared up with high temperature and work for 8 or more hours in a desert enviroment?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Did you run with an extra 80 pounds of gear,was the temperature above 100 degrees? Do you think you could be geared up with high temperature and work for 8 or more hours in a desert enviroment?
    At my current level of fitness? No. But that wouldn't be a breathing problem. It would be a strength one. I was DQ'd on breathing grounds. Thanks for the reply though.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum

Jun 10 2009
    The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of

Current chest wall malformation (754), including, but not limited to pectus excavatum (754.81), or pectus carinatum (754.82), if these conditions interfere with vigorous physical exertion, is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ry/a/lungs.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum

Jun 10 2009
    The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of

Current chest wall malformation (754), including, but not limited to pectus excavatum (754.81), or pectus carinatum (754.82), if these conditions interfere with vigorous physical exertion, is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ry/a/lungs.htm
    They never have. The military refuses to give me a chance to prove myself beyond requesting a waiver, instead of just you know, checking my lung capacity (I was already at the hospital for the chest x-rays) I have to sit here for 3-4 months to possibly get rejected. Can I have civilian doctors contest this?

Quote Originally Posted by Derkaiser View Post
    They never have. The military refuses to give me a chance to prove myself beyond requesting a waiver, instead of just you know, checking my lung capacity (I was already at the hospital for the chest x-rays) I have to sit here for 3-4 months to possibly get rejected. Can I have civilian doctors contest this?
    No,you are applying to the millitary and Navy doctors at BUMED have the final say.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    No,you are applying to the millitary and Navy doctors at BUMED have the final say.
    How often do they approve such things? (Thanks for the continued replies guys).

(Thanks for the continued replies guys).
    Yes, this does bother me....how about "Thanks Marines", not guys. We've EARNED it!

Credits
    Savings
    How often do they approve such things? (Thanks for the continued replies Marines; Warriors of the Highest Caliber and Destroyers of America's Enemies).
    Fix'd.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have seen it hurt a lot now a days. but DQ is,,,,,,,,,Times are tough.

I wish you well,,,,,,,,,

Credits
    Savings
    I would like to apologize for anyone who's taken offense to my "Warriors of the Highest Caliber" statement. While humorous it wasn't sarcastic or meant to slight, and is a fairly accurate statement as far as military combat effectiveness goes.

The disqualifications are generally made from statistical analysis of medical conditions experienced by Marines out in the Fleet.

For example, eczema is a disqualifying condition. Even though most people don't get it severely enough to impact performance, the odds of someone being taken out of action by complications from eczema are great enough that they don't want to take the risk at all.

The same is true for a malformed chest wall. They aren't really interested in you as a person. Remember, you're just a number to them. They see your condition and say, "Well, even if he's good, there's an increased chance that he'll become a casualty from his condition. So it's a no-go."

If you were applying during the surge, when they needed everyone they could get their hands on, you'd probably get a waiver. Nowadays, with the Corps drawing down and everyone and their dog trying to get in thanks to the economy, they can make up as many random rules as they want and still fulfill quota. Sucks.

If you want to serve and the Corps won't give you a waiver, I suggest making your way down to the Army's recruiting station; their manpower needs are greater, and they'll probably be more amenable to having common sense.

There's a guy in my platoon who has a deep concave chest...His chest almost touches his back. He runs just fine and is deploying with us.

Credits
    Savings
    Interesting. Well the Marines Corps did indeed give me a waiver, while someone who got DQ'd for self-mutilation didn't get one, so I figure if they bothered I at least have some chance. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information