Infantry and Career in the USMC
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Infantry and Career in the USMC

Hello,
    I would like to start off my question by thanking all of the Marines on this website for their service to our wonderful country. I am currently a wannabe Marine, trying to get some things straightened out at home before making the big decision. I am curious about making a career out of the Marine Corps while being an infantryman. I am just curious if it is possible to make a career out of the 30xx MOS field. Also I am curious, On average how many hours of sleep do you get in boot camp? A solid 8 or does it vary? Also is Semper Fi a "legal" term to be used by non-Marines?

Once again I thank you Marines for your sacrifice

Sincerely, Spikeman1444

umm, its 03xx
    1. If the Corps is your life plan then great go for it
    there are very few jobs on the street for killers so if you plan to get out, learn other skills as well
    2. Others can say what they want. With us its not a phrase, its our lifestyle
    Semper Fi
    tom

"I am curious about making a career out of the Marine Corps while being an infantryman. I am just curious if it is possible to make a career out of the 30xx MOS field."

Yes, it is possible to make a career out of the 03xx MOS. I'll let others who are/were in the MOS answer what it is like. It is not glorious, if that's what you think.

"Also I am curious, On average how many hours of sleep do you get in boot camp? A solid 8 or does it vary?" It varies. From my experience many moons ago, as little as 3 and as many as 8.

"Also is Semper Fi a "legal" term to be used by non-Marines?"

Semper fi is abbreviated from the Latin phrase semper fidelis. It means always faithful. It is not a legal term. It is the Marine Corps motto. Used by non-Marines? I don't know. Suppose so if you are speaking Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeman1444 View Post
    Hello,
    Also is Semper Fi a "legal" term to be used by non-Marines?

Once again I thank you Marines for your sacrifice

Sincerely, Spikeman1444
    POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Credits
    Savings
    hahaha thank you SoftballCatch23. Thank to all of you guys to your great answers. It is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeman1444 View Post
    hahaha thank you SoftballCatch23. Thank to all of you guys to your great answers. It is greatly appreciated.
    What do you find so funny? And how about "Thanks Marines", not guys....we've EARNED it!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    What do you find so funny? And how about "Thanks Marines", not guys....we've EARNED it!
    Lay off, would you? He's not meaning any harm.

I am curious about making a career out of the Marine Corps while being an infantryman.
    You CAN do it, but keep in mind that promotion is really, really slow in the infantry. The infantry is the domain of the Terminal Lance. I've seen perfectly good Marines end their four-year contracts as lances or having just gotten promoted to Corporal. The rest of the ranks aren't much better.

That being said, if you love mentoring Marines, the infantry is the place to do it.

On average how many hours of sleep do you get in boot camp?
    If you don't have firewatch, you average about seven. You're allotted eight, but that's assuming that you can go to sleep instantly. Also, most people wake up 45 minutes before lights to go to the head.

If you do have firewatch, then you chop an hour off that time and get six. That hour is usually in the middle of the night.

During Basic Warrior Training, you get shafted and get about five. During the Crucible, you get about four hours of sleep for the whole three days.

Credits
    Savings
    My fault SoftballCatch23, I didn't mean anything by it. Thank you Marines for answering my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Wow. Seriously? I've never heard anyone say that in real life, so why would anyone say it online? Thanks Marine? If someone said that to me in person who didn't have at least two rockers, I'd probably punch them in the face.

I've used it sarcastically before... does that count?

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 09-23-11 at 07:21 PM. Reason: LOL. NO.

Hey, Iceman, THANKS MARINE.

Now go ahead and try to punch ME in the face.

Actually, I've got a better idea, you can take a break from this particular section for awhile since you don't seem to 'get' what is going on here.

You've given some really good advice since you've been here, so I'll just consider this a momentary lapse in judgement and act accordingly.

Thread Information