Site Suggestions - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I just had an issue with the site. No big deal, I guess, but I just got 2 letters from boot and these kids don't print too well. I've been trying to look them up by their screen name so I can get a good spelling on their last names. Searching thru the 1 billion names is a,,,,well you know. Too bad there isn't a type in search box. Just sayin. Guess I'll have to send them letters with mis-spelled names so I can look stupid.
    There is a drop down search function in the "members list" section.

That didn't work......you can use Google to search though.

Ken Sparks site:www.leatherneck.com ,in the search box.

Quote Originally Posted by linda1945 View Post
    It's the poolees, Marine friends and family, etc. that come on here and talk as if they own the site and try to tell us what to do or say. In other words try to boss us around. They need to have a section all to themselves. How about making an age limit to how young a person can be on here; 16 and younger is too young to be on here!! Enforce the school regulations more, which haven't been doing that for a long time. I could go on and on, but I'll just quit here.
    Linda that is a great idea. Honestly, I hate for anyone to not have the opportunity due to age to interact with some really great mentors. However, I do believe there are threads on here they don't need to see. Like the War Room for instance. LOL. Are they able to "see" and just not post? At any rate...don't shut them completely out. Have about 10-15 Marines that normally stick their neck out and answer questions be points of contact "formally". Like Rollie.

More Moderators? No disrespect to any of them. I'm a social cat. Jump on board and posted away....and learned QUICKLY who I could go to for site advise. She knows who she is.

And any time I've EVER had a problem she or Lep are all over it or quick to cough up needed info.

So (1) Limit threads poolee's can see
    (2) Assign points of contact to tactfully mentor our future Marines.
    (3) I didn't find it (or look too hard...bad me) but maybe boldly where it can be easily located on the HOME page...a list of moderators and their specified billets. Say like Lisa is GREAT at correcting wrong posting places and keeping hot heads in check with the salty dogs. And Lep is awesome with current topics and making "POOF" happen quickly with posers. etc....
    (4) I'd like to see some kind of difference in font or color of profile names when their birthdays show up on the bottom of the page. I think the daily birthday list should stay. I just never deny a friend request and some I never speak to...except when I don't over look their birthday at the bottom of the home page. Maybe even italicise their profile name as to depict a "friend" posted a thread or it's their birthday.....

Ok...I'll shut up now. Rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    That's a really good point, Hammer. Part of that is the 'internal' vetting process, basically being here long enough to show you are a 'regular'.

Of course, not EVERYone has the particular temperment to BE a 'mod', either. I know some fine folks here...but not all of them should be mods, either.
    Very true. I'm making it a goal of mine though. I've decreased my 4 letter words from every other word to one ever other sentence. Go me.

Tiara, That's one of the problems, can't the poolees to use their rooms; like chat room. You noticed that since the Marines left the chat room the others (poolees and others) have left now. Yeah, I know what you mean about the War Room. The rules for the poolees to a certain point have been lax. Ooops! Repeating myself!!

Squad Leader Free Member thewookie's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I recently signed up at glocktalk and I saw something with their sign-up process that could work well here.

Over there when you first sign up, there was a "cool off" period between when you signed up, and when you were given access to post. I think that is a good way to get rid of some of the spammers/trolls out there looking to flame a thread/person and leave. If there's a day long or say 12hour cool off period between when a new member signs up, and when they can first post - it will deter some of them.

Another thing I saw and liked - the first post you post over there they make it subject to moderation. So, if "Joe Spammer Troll" comes here and decided he wants to spam/troll them site it would be much tougher.

I know currently there's really only Sgt Lep doing the moderation, and that might make it tough to do that. But if the site brings on a few more, that tool could be an effective way to control the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Easy to ask.,,, Might not be so easy to do though.

a built in function to REQUIRE *Fields on profile (to be filled in )before FNG's can move forward towards posting (reguardless of type of profile background).

that in its-self would probibly cut down 99% of the gripe most of what i read on
    site newbies violate.
    reguardless of poolee, family, friend , or Marine.
    I agree!

My suggested *required* fields on profile items are:

*First name
    *Last name (optional or initial OK)
    *Valid emaill address
    *Rank at discharge from the Corps
    *Boot Camp location
    *Platoon number or just what BN you were in
    *Graduation date
    *Year entered Corps
    *Year left Corps
    *Duty stations (just bases OK, but units also preferred)
    *Wars and conflicts you were in involved in?
    *Combat History

*Ship date for poolees (actual shipdate, not a guesstimated one)
    *Poolees valid email address
    *Recruiter's name for poolees
    *Recruiter's phone number for poolees

All that other stuff in ones profile could be emilinated.

I also agree with Apache....... Similar to a lot of other sites, the registration will not progress unless *required fields* are completed.
    I would also add......Once *required fields* are completed, an email will be sent to verify your account.

Example.........

Please follow the instructions below to confirm that you signed up for this account, or to cancel the account if you did not sign up.

CONFIRM ACCOUNT
    To help prevent unauthorized account creation, we need you to confirm your e-mail address. We will use this e-mail address to send you important messages about your account.

To confirm this e-mail address, select and copy the following link. Open a browser and paste the link in the address bar. Follow the instructions that display.

Linda....there's already a forum for Marine Family members to post in......Open Discussion, Marine Parents, and Marine Spouse...... some post there and some post there as well as in other forums.

Taira, as for limiting what forums poolees and wannabes can see....they can't see any of the Marines Only forum.....Chesty's Hooch, Sick Bay Commandos, Boot Camp Stories, In Country, and the Political forum.

I do like those ideas. If it were my decision alone they'd be done. Hopefully they are workable, and Jerry will take them under advisement.

Keep 'em comin!

Sparkie, cute hat.

I weep for what this country is becoming, and fear for my children and grandchildren's future if any more democrats gain national office. We lose more and more freedoms every single day to creeping nannystatism and those who vote for Democrats only want to increase that. Anyone voting for a 'dem' is someone who likely wants to take everything YOU have worked for and mortgage your kids future as well.
    v/r
    The Malignant Leprechaun

You honestly think someone is going to take the time to actually call some poolee's recruiter's phone number? No recruiter would even discuss that kind of information due to the Privacy Act. I see no reason why the recruiter's number would be needed. No recruiter is going to take the time to verify something for an online website. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I do like those ideas. If it were my decision alone they'd be done. Hopefully they are workable, and Jerry will take them under advisement.

Keep 'em comin!

Sparkie, cute hat.
    Lep,

Where do we stand on any of these ideas being implemented? Seems like we have hit the beach and can't go inland to our objective, or is it only a recon op? As Marines, we need to move.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I recently signed up at glocktalk and I saw something with their sign-up process that could work well here.

Over there when you first sign up, there was a "cool off" period between when you signed up, and when you were given access to post. I think that is a good way to get rid of some of the spammers/trolls out there looking to flame a thread/person and leave. If there's a day long or say 12hour cool off period between when a new member signs up, and when they can first post - it will deter some of them.

Another thing I saw and liked - the first post you post over there they make it subject to moderation. So, if "Joe Spammer Troll" comes here and decided he wants to spam/troll them site it would be much tougher.

I know currently there's really only Sgt Lep doing the moderation, and that might make it tough to do that. But if the site brings on a few more, that tool could be an effective way to control the idiots.
    Hmmmm.....or a troll button. Get so many clicks on it and get banned for X amount of days or whatever. I know it won't stop the generation of ficticious accounts but if they are banned for a certain amount of time maybe it'll deter them from gumming up the member list with bs names. Then again...there's the issue of trolls clicking on us. Hmmmm...we should have immunity!!! lol

Taira, as for limiting what forums poolees and wannabes can see....they can't see any of the Marines Only forum.....Chesty's Hooch, Sick Bay Commandos, Boot Camp Stories, In Country, and the Political forum.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Lep,

Where do we stand on any of these ideas being implemented? Seems like we have hit the beach and can't go inland to our objective, or is it only a recon op? As Marines, we need to move.
    The powers that be read them I'm sure. If you have a good idea, spill it. Why do you think this site is so successful?

Quote Originally Posted by wildwoman73 View Post
    Hmmmm.....or a troll button. Get so many clicks on it and get banned for X amount of days or whatever. I know it won't stop the generation of ficticious accounts but if they are banned for a certain amount of time maybe it'll deter them from gumming up the member list with bs names. Then again...there's the issue of trolls clicking on us. Hmmmm...we should have immunity!!! lol
    Every post already has a "report" button,if members don't use it Sgt.Lep doesn't know of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwoman73 View Post
    The powers that be read them I'm sure. If you have a good idea, spill it. Why do you think this site is so successful?

There's never been a question in my mind that this site is successful, and being a member for a short time, I have my own opinion as to why it is as successful as it is. It's called leadership, and attention to detail.

With that said, all I asked for was an update on the ideas that have been posted. I don't believe that it would be unreasonable to ask the status.

Thread Information