Site Suggestions - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I was just saying that if we had someone who seemed to be a poser it should be handled in house. Someone could invite them into chat for a one on one chance to prove themselves. But it would still be that person's opinion. There's nothing I would hate more than accusing a Marine of posing. What's that old adage, "It's better that ten posers go free than one innocent Marine to be wrongly accused".
    It's a tough problem with no easy answers.

As others have suggested, and some volunteered for such duty, more moderators or those in a position of trust and confidence that can offer valuable assistance when needed and also, help with the policing of this site. I assume the site owner can easily identify several on here who are both qualified and beyond a doubt a real attribute to this site. I believe that the continued insistence on people fillng out a profile quickly before they are even talked to by some members is not only often premature but is usually taken as a very unfriendly welcome by new members. To penalize all for the actions of some who wish this site and many members harm or disrespect is in my opinion doing more harm than good. I do believe that someone should be vetted to an extent that proves until otherwise that they are indeed what they state in their profile. But all of us know that facts can be easily discovered and dates and incidents can be interchanged so it is not that difficult to assume a false persona on a public internet site. I still believe that it is the purpose and intentions revealed by the words and comments and actions of a poster that will ultimately identify them for what they really are, genuine or otherwise. There are times that I find myself uneasy on a site that seems to condone so much animosity and confrontation on a regular basis. I may be in a minority, but my opinion and viewpoint has merit I think. Civility can also be a trait that Marines are proud of, in addition to personal integrity and courage, a certain independence and well-earned arrogance that most of us from long ago still possess, and I'm sure the current generation also claims. The wars may change but certain attributes will always remain the same. In my opinion, the actions and courage of Corporal Dakota Meyer, back in 2009 in Afghanistan, and recently awarded the Medal of Honor and the actions that Marines displayed back in the war I participated in, Viet-Nam, show that we still share the core values that distinguish us from others. We are still in good hands. They still make Marines out of civilians at Parris Island and San Diego and I believe that the honor and loyalty and courage that we possess in abundance needs to be more on display here.
    Semper Fidelis, Scott

03 Foxtrot posted:

I do believe that someone should be vetted to an extent that proves until otherwise that they are indeed what they state in their profile. But all of us know that facts can be easily discovered and dates and incidents can be interchanged so it is not that difficult to assume a false persona on a public Internet site.

I agree with Foxtrot. There should be a vetting system put into place. There are too many resources that will help you verify if a person is whom they say they are. There have been several "Marines" whom I have mentally questioned in my short period as a member on this board. Is vetting always 100% correct? No, and neither is the lie detector or truth serum, but it will eliminate some of the doubt.

The recent exposure of the fake Marine Colonel in Jacksonville, North Carolina speaks to my point. Nothing would have been done unless other Marines had not called into question his authenticity.

I disagree with the old adage that Jamielang referenced re; "It's better that ten posers go free than one innocent Marine to be wrongly accused".

I would hate that too, however, by establishing a vetting system, the authentic Marine can prove his authenticity; whereas a Poser, can't, if the correct system with checks and balances are put into place.

I am a Judge Advocate for a Marine Corps League, and there are checks and balances put into place. Just my thoughts.

Squad Leader Free Member Apache's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Opinions ? Applicability for Leatherneck ?

TRICARE | Military Pay | Discounts | GI Bill Calculator | Military Transition
    New Website for Kentucky Veterans
    Week of September 19, 2011
    A new website provides information about Kentucky veterans' events and*also offers a place to send messages to people living in the state's three veterans' nursing homes. The new 11-11-11*website*includes personal stories from Kentuckians who served in the military, and visitors can add events planned in their own communities to honor veterans.
    For more on veteran benefits, visit the ************* Benefits Center.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Foxtrot View Post
    I believe that the continued insistence on people fillng out a profile quickly before they are even talked to by some members is not only often premature but is usually taken as a very unfriendly welcome by new members.

To penalize all for the actions of some who wish this site and many members harm or disrespect is in my opinion doing more harm than good.

I do believe that someone should be vetted to an extent that proves until otherwise that they are indeed what they state in their profile. There are times that I find myself uneasy on a site that seems to condone so much animosity and confrontation on a regular basis. I may be in a minority, but my opinion and viewpoint has merit I think. Civility can also be a trait that Marines are proud of, in addition to personal integrity and courage, a certain independence and well-earned arrogance that most of us from long ago still possess, and I'm sure the current generation also claims.
    Semper Fidelis, Scott

It isnt about penaltys, its a problem with posting on forums is the only thing i was mentioning.
    THE ABILITY TO ("POST")

anyone who enters leatherneck chat on an (empty profile) ,is at least asked ,and given the (option for help) everytime i have been there on those occasions.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yo BOSS (AKA.Mr.Shaffer) what about a Jutebox kinda thingy were Marines and Devil Doc's can have One of their All time Favorite Jam's on it only 1 per Member? Just a thought

More moderators.

I think the vetting out process works fairly well. There have been a number of posers since I joined this site, and it become obvious fairly rapidly, the person is reported to Lep and they are gone.

If someone wants to come on here and lie about their service and inflate their time in the Corps...well, the one they are damagine the most is themself.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    More moderators.

I think the vetting out process works fairly well. There have been a number of posers since I joined this site, and it become obvious fairly rapidly, the person is reported to Lep and they are gone.

If someone wants to come on here and lie about their service and inflate their time in the Corps...well, the one they are damagine the most is themself.

Credits
    Savings
    take a moment to consider ,

a searchable data base here of our names, units, dates of service, units , etc..

that was a feature on an old site "TheFew dot COM" before it namechanged into
    Military Dot COM..

the feature was quite handy for looking for Old Friends and Unit/platoon buddies

members could OPT out of the data base i guess.
    some of us dont have a problem with it.

Some good ideas. Keep 'em comin!

My 2 cents:

1: Nobody gets to post until the profile is completed. HOWever, I feel no need for MARINES to give last names, ESP. those on active or reserve duty. OPSEC and common sense should prevail here. At least, for public consumption as far as the last names go, anyway. This is something I believe we ARE, in fact, going to implement. This is why we are looking for more moderators, because quite frankly, vetting and dealing with profiles will be (if we go this route) a long, daily, task.

2: Vetting: Yes, I think, along the SOCNET lines, that those who make claims of being Marines without documentation, and ESP. those who claim Purple Hearts or 'V' for valor awards, should in fact be checked out. Valor awards nowadays are pretty easy to do. That is not to say that every single Marine signing up gets 'vetted', but there certainly should be some sort of 'filter' (i.e. a knowledgeable moderator or two) to do this. I feel rather certain I'd be one of those, and if on that particular detail, I'd probably pick some of you *ahem* older Marines from Vietnam, Korea, and WWII to assist me with this, as there are things YOU know details of that I would not.

3: The problems in 'chat' would be solved by the above.

I'm sure there are some more that will come up, but those are the ones I'd go for.

I weep for what this country is becoming, and fear for my children and grandchildren's future if any more democrats gain national office. We lose more and more freedoms every single day to creeping nannystatism and those who vote for Democrats only want to increase that. Anyone voting for a 'dem' is someone who likely wants to take everything YOU have worked for and mortgage your kids future as well.
    v/r
    The Malignant Leprechaun

Multiple account detection, if it's not already added. Sent the details to Lep.

I'm tired of seeing banned people come back with new accounts every week just to plaster their pro-gay agenda all over this place.

Oh, and what happened to signatures? It seems as if they all up and ran off. Hard for me to tell who's who now as signature lines were the easiest way to do so for me.

It's the poolees, Marine friends and family, etc. that come on here and talk as if they own the site and try to tell us what to do or say. In other words try to boss us around. They need to have a section all to themselves. How about making an age limit to how young a person can be on here; 16 and younger is too young to be on here!! Enforce the school regulations more, which haven't been doing that for a long time. I could go on and on, but I'll just quit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Multiple account detection, if it's not already added. Sent the details to Lep.

I'm tired of seeing banned people come back with new accounts every week just to plaster their pro-gay agenda all over this place.

Oh, and what happened to signatures? It seems as if they all up and ran off. Hard for me to tell who's who now as signature lines were the easiest way to do so for me.
    I could make a hundred accounts and have them banned,then make another hundred the next day.You can ban IP addresses,but if they are coming from a military base you would then deny access to many who do not deserve a blocked IP.

The signature "problem" has been addressed by Shaffer in another thread in the forums.

How about putting some WM moderators in there also? More than 2 if you can get them.

Thread Information