Boot as soon as 17
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Boot as soon as 17

Ive been thinking and i want to join the Corps as son as i am 17. but my birsthday is in the summer, June 16...what would be the earliest date i could get in and would it effect school when it starts back up in August????any info would be helpful!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Post 17 is the magic age

You will require parents' consent to process for enlistment and you must be 17, no younger. So, you could enlist on your 17th birthday. You will be required to take an ASVAB test and a physical examination at MEPS in order to qualify for enlistment. Additionally, you must also have documentation from your school that you are considered a senior (or completed junior year) in order to DEP. MEPS processing is usually a full day process. MEPS is open weekdays and on occasion Staurdays to assist in processing. You can wait until school lets out for the year to process or take an excused absence from school to accomplish this. Remember, the DEP only allows you to delay shipping for 365 days. So, that means you cannot join until you are inside the 365 day window until graduation. In most cases, you must be 355 days prior to graduation. This allows ten days in case of weather or other reasons school may run longer than projected. The biggest issue is getting your parents' consent to join at 17. Without this, you cannot enlist until your 18th birthday.

Credits
    Savings

ok

Our graduation is ussually june 9th-10th, my b-day is june 16. my parents will allow me to go, but there is a court order that i have to go to missouir for a month in the summer b/c my parents got a divorce. would that hurt any, i could skip that month on my mothers consent im sure. and can i take the ASVAB in my junior year, along with the SATs?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Arrow More info

You can take the ASVAB at your school if your school participates in the High School ASVAB Testing program. If your school participates, the test is given to students at the school. The test is normally given to juniors and seniors who voluntarily decide to take the test. If your school does not participate, you will have to take a test through MEPS or one of it's local test sites. That requires you to be within two weeks of your 17th birthday. If your parents are divorced, both parents are still required to give consent for your enlistment (if they share joint custody), unless a divorce decree gave sole custody to one parent. The consent must be obtained prior to processing. Processing can be arranged around your trip to MO. You can process and enlist before you go or wait until you get back. Your joining the DEP will not require you to do anything more than meet with your recruiter on a regular (monthly) basis and contact him (phone call, visit or other meeting) weekly. Your recruiter will certainly understand your absence to go to MO. The question I have is this issue about the visit is a court order? Is this part of the divorce that grant's one of your parents visitation? Or is it the court ordering you to some type of other program to help you adapt and deal with your parents' divorce? You will also need to have a copy of your parents' divorce papers to process.

Credits
    Savings

well...

my dad has full custody of me. but im thinking the court orer is to let us see our mother. it was the agreement they all came up with. and the ASVAB im pretty sure my school offers it but i will have to find that out we got back weds. so i will talk to my guidence counsuler when i get there. i can talk to a recruiter soon, they come into our school all the time, so i can talk to him then.

Thread Information