Do I rate an overseas deployment ribbon?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I rate an overseas deployment ribbon?

Hey guys,

I participated in an operation I think it was called "operation throughput".
    I was serving with 3/5 1st Mar Div. While at camp pendleton, I got word from my chain of command that I was going to be sent TAD for a divisional working party in Kuwait.

I was quickly detached, sent to a huge group of marines made up of similarly detached marines from throughout the division.

We were all sent together to Kuwait where we spent many months driving trucks and humvees and various military supplies off of ships and organizing the equipment in huge staging areas. Deploying units would come to the staging areas, pick up the vehicles and gear we staged and then drive into Iraq.

we did this working party for several months---I think at least 3-4 months. The very last time however, after we offloaded another huge load of vehicles and equipment, our working party was ordered to convoy the equipment ourselves into iraq. We drove the vehicles all the way up to some huge FOB that was either near fullujah or in between fullujah and ramadi. (i can't remember quite where because we really didn't stay there that long).

After we completed the convoy into Iraq we basically sat around the fob for about 2-3 doing nothing until they scheduled a flight for us back to a different base in kuwait. We spent another few weeks in kuwait and then were finally shipped home.

My DD 214 says nothing about this divisional working party I was on. Do I rate anything for this such as an overseas deployment ribbon. I can't say for sure, but I know that I was overseas at least 4-5 months, possibly 6.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.

I was overseas at least 4-5 months, possibly 6.
    Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon

Eligibility Requirements

(a) Active Duty Personnel: 12-months consecutive or accumulated duty at overseas shore base duty station.

it would not be an Overseas Service ribbon if you deployed there. Overseas service ribbons are only for ppl attached to the base itself outside of the country. is would be the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon you should look in to.

An example of what i am talking about is i was with MALS-12 in Iwakuni for 3 years because it was not the MCAS i rated a Sea Service Deployment ribbon but if i was with say PMO or MCAS H&HS then i would rate an Overseas Service ribbon since i am attached to the base itself not a unit "tenant" on the base

Also if you went there should be documentation such as in your pay when you got tax free and such. If you did this working party you would rate a Sea Service Deployment ribbon. i have just never heard of anything like this happening.

Should, at minimum, be a SSDR, plus a campaign medal for Iraq if you were 'in country'.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The foreign service block on your 214 should also have a number > 0 . What does that block say?

You definitely do not meet the criteria for a overseas service ribbon because you weren't there for 12 months (very little of this mando time is waiverable) and it sounds like you were still part of FMF during that time (Marines in an FMF unit can not receive the OSR).

But I agree with the other posters that you rate an SSDR (12 months with an FMF unit of which at least 90 consecutive days was spent deployed)

Wow...Thanks guys...this is exactly the info I was looking for.

Glad we could help!

I try not to bump threads, but this one raised an interesting question. I recently reunited with two Marines that I served with, and while going over the old times, they both informed me that they received Navy/Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbons, but AFTER they left Rota, Spain. We were attached to Co. F, MARSPTBN in Rota, and served identical tours, the 3-year accompanied tour from approximately February of '84 to March of '87. I never heard a word about this ribbon. Anyone have any idea why they would get it and not me?

Did you receive the SSDR for your time there? If you did not, you qualify for the OSR (third award, one for each one year period) per SECNAVINST 1650.1H.

I got nothing of the sort. Shortly after I got there, we all got a MUC and until I EAS'd and got the GCM, I only had the one ribbon. Should it say something in my 214 about the OSR? All it says in the 214 is that I have the MUC, the GCM and one letter of commendation from NSA. Is this worth bringing up with someone?

Likely as not, you should rate the 'long tour' OSR ribbon, not the 'Sea Service Deployment' ribbon. Yes, you should go ahead and file for your DD-214 to be corrected. You'll need to have some proof that you were there (orders, etc), or a copy of your Page 3 in your SRB. Your old DD-214 might work as well.

When we deployed we were kept aboard for a maximum of 89 days, and this was supposed to be to prevent us from getting the Sea Service Ribbon and the numerous ensuing stars that would accompany them, one for each 90-day deployment. By cutting deployments, whether at sea or with land-based units, they were preventing a bunch of PFC's and LCPL's from having a huge salad bar on their chest. We really didn't mind not having all those ribbons to mess with come inspection time, though. Maybe I will look into this OSR though, just for the sake of having a complete and correct SRB and 214 (would they issue an updated 214?).

I am in Korea right now as part of MCSB and I rate an OSR for each qualifying 12-month period. It should be no different then those out in Menwith or Rota, since as part of MCSB we are not FMF. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You only get one SSDR for each deployment no matter how long you are 'out'. That's written into the regs. (Not for the long tour ribbon, though).

Thread Information