Do I rate an overseas deployment ribbon? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SSDR i was in japan for 3 years i got one for each year. if you are stationed overseas but NOT part of the base itself and just a tenant command you follow the same rules as the overseas service ribbon but get the SSDR

I just looked at the foreign service block on my DD-214 and it states 3 years and 20 days. In the "Sea Service" area, it says ZERO. Long story short, I was cryptologic combat support (2621 with some extra schooling/training) who was permanently stationed in Rota for just over 3 years. During that time, members of our unit were deployed in intervals not to exceed 89 days, so as not to have 90 consecutive days at sea or we would get 29 day deployments to ground units so as not to be eligible for awards for 30 consecutive days on the ground anywhere. I can see from my 214 that there was no sea service, however, I was assigned to a duty station overseas for 3 yrs and 20 days. So, the Sea Service Ribbon isn't in question here, just the Overseas Service Ribbon. I'm going to talk with a vet rep tomorrow and see if he can help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    I just looked at the foreign service block on my DD-214 and it states 3 years and 20 days. In the "Sea Service" area, it says ZERO. Long story short, I was cryptologic combat support (2621 with some extra schooling/training) who was permanently stationed in Rota for just over 3 years. During that time, members of our unit were deployed in intervals not to exceed 89 days, so as not to have 90 consecutive days at sea or we would get 29 day deployments to ground units so as not to be eligible for awards for 30 consecutive days on the ground anywhere. I can see from my 214 that there was no sea service, however, I was assigned to a duty station overseas for 3 yrs and 20 days. So, the Sea Service Ribbon isn't in question here, just the Overseas Service Ribbon. I'm going to talk with a vet rep tomorrow and see if he can help with this.

perhaps ur missing my point. were you attached to a tenant command on the base or were you attached to the base itself? if its a tenant command u get the SSDR NOT! the Overseas Service Ribbon. i spent 3 years on MCAS Iwakuni in a tenant command and got 3 SSDR's

Ah...I get it now. I'm not sure I know how to answer, though. I am not sure what constitutes a "tenant" command. Rota is a Naval base with basically Intel as its main reason for being. There were air and land-based platforms, as well as "deployed to sea" platforms operating from there. I am not sure what the status of Co. F was as it pertains to tenant or permanent command. Is there data somewhere that might steer me in the right direction?

were you attached to Rota's base HQ? or were you another unit TAD there? if TAD there from another unit then its the SSDR

Co. F MARSPTBN is/was a permanent command on the Naval base in Rota, Spain, so I think we were considered attached to base.

Thread Information