In The News.
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In The News.

In The News.

I though I would give us a place to discuss "In the news" now, or post news flashes.

This is a new web page that was launched yesterday.
    Report your friends and neighbors?

UNBELIEVABLE CRAP.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/join-attack-wire-today

On Fox News Channel Kelly's Court (on now) they are about to discuss this in depth.

I'll see if someone posted this discussion to YouTube as I didn't have time to record it to my computer. Maybe it's on FoxNews.com. It's basicly the SOS as during the election but coming from OUR White House now. They want anyone to report e-mail, blogs, posted comments, ect., ect., that is considered anit-Obummer. Watch out guys, we're being spied on. Our leftist brothers may report us. The commentator on Fox liken it to somewhere between Nixion's hit list and East Germany's Stasi.

WAKE UP America, we're headed toward a Communist style police state!
    IMHO.

This was in the news last night.
    What follows is the video and message of the poster on YouTube.

"Last May, a pharmacist at a Michigan Walgreens was dismissed from his job at the drugstore chain after he fired his own handgun at an armed robber. Now the man is suing Walgreens and his lawyers have released footage of the incident to defend their client.

Around 4:30 a.m. on the night of the incident, armed robbers entered the Benton Harbor, MI, store and began demanding cash. According to the pharmacist, one robber jumped over the pharmacy counter and attempted to fire a gun at him but it didn't work. That's when the Walgreens staffer decided he needed to use his own weapon, stowed in his pocket holster.

"At that moment, [the pharmacist] reasonably and justifiably believed that the was going to be shot and either killed or seriously injured by the armed robber," says his lawyers. "[He] then fired his handgun several times in self-defense and in defense of his co-workers."

The pharmacist says he had alerted his superiors at Walgreens about possible security concerns at the store, which had been robbed four years ealier.

Walgreens dismissed the man for violating its "no escalation" policy and disagrees with the plaintiff's contention that he had a "right to carry or discharge a concealed weapon on its premises at any time."

"Walgreens had a plausible and legitimate business reason to justify its decision to discharge [the pharmacist]," attorneys for Walgreens have stated.

Here is the video footage of the incident. Judge for yourself if he went over the line."

By jtbpwn on Sep 8, 2011.

The robber clearly tried to shoot the pharmacist. Now we can't defend our life without getting fired?
    Here's more on this story. http://biggovernment.com/jlott/2011/...-stop-robbery/

Louisiana has a "right to carry" concealed law. A couple of years ago Governer Jindal signed into law the right to have a weapon in your vehical on your job site. Louisianans have always (as far back as I remember) had a right to carry a conceled weapon in their vehicle, as our vehicle is considered as an extension of our homes. We can and do protect ourselves.

Fox news and U-Tube. Real reliable news sources.

I saw the same Video on Fox, I just use YouIdots to link and IMHO Fox new is. I watch 15 hours of news a day. About 13 on Fox, the rest spread out over NBC, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, just so I get all POV's. Besides, it's my thread and I can say what I want.

May need to move this to political forum if it's gonna to pizz you off that much. Wasn't my intention. Or did you just miss the "IMHO" part.

Just to be more fair and balanced:

Another terrorist network to watch?

[The Haqqani Network a family and terror group

Hmm, it's still a little hinky posting BB codes. I know how to post photos as links, words as links, change color, size, font, most any BB codes and hold my own with html. The above post has two what it says considered as image codes, but it kept saying I had six. I had to restart the thread a couple of times before it would let me post just the two, one link and one "smilly". Go figure.

I'm wisely now, unlike in my past, a cash only guy. When my son gets in from offshore I'll use one of his cc's to pay for membership to get my sig back, instead of posting it sometimes.

Now for more "In The News".

New York's 9th district is a +20 Democrat district. 3-1 Democrat to Republican, where President Obama won in 2008 with 55%. 40% Jewish, making it among the most prominently Jewish districts in the country. It encompasses Queens and Brooklyn. This is not "bitter clinger" flyover territory.
    And yet, for the first time since 1923, a Democrat lost that race. David Weprin didn't just lose, he lost by a full 8 points.
    Meanwhile, in Nevada, there was a special election in CD-2. In 2008, District 2 went to John McCain by just 88 votes. Last night's election resulted in a 22 point blowout.
    So, why? What has changed? Were these Republicans just that good?
    Absolutely not. President Obama's policies are just that bad. This is a direct referendum on the economy and jobs.
    In the event that this was just a fluke, a "special case in a specific district in a low turnout election"[FONT=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif] [/font]that is a "difficult for Democrats" I looked into some more numbers from around the country, particularly in states that Barack Obama won in 2008. How's he doing in Florida? Ohio? Even California?
    Let's start with Florida - an important swing state that President Obama carried by three points against John McCain in 2008. This poll a few weeks ago shows devastating numbers.
    Among all respondents, only 37% approve of the job the President is doing and 57% disapprove of the job he is doing. Again looking at key voter subgroups, 53% of women, 56% of independents, 72% of Hispanics and 59% of seniors disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing. The most alarming number for the President and his election team is that 26% of Democrats disapprove of the job he is doing. Among voters aged 18 to 29, 48% approve of the job he is doing and 52% disapprove of thejob he is doing.
    Okay, but Florida is unique and can swing either way during a Presidential cycle. Where is he at in, say, California? Obviously his policies will be playing well there, right? Isn't this what they asked for?
    Apparently not.
    Just 46 percent of voters approve of the job Obama is doing, while 44 percent disapprove. That is eight points lower than the previous Field Poll, conducted in June.
    Obama has lost ground among all groups. His approval rating is 10 points lower among Democrats, 2 points lower among Republicans, and a whopping 13 points lower among independents, down to 45 percent among that key group.
    Well under 50% approval in his strongest state?
    Let's take a look at another state he won in 2008: Ohio. He carried Ohio against John McCain by 4 points.
    From last month:
    Barack Obama's approval rating in the state right now is 44%, with 52% of voters disapproving of him. His numbers with independents are horrid at 34/59. And there's a whole lot more Democrats (16%) who disapprove of him than there are Republicans (just 4%) who like him.
    But that's from last month! Won't he get a bounce from his "jobs" proposal? Not likely.
    Some other swing state numbers:
    Was at just 35% in Pennsylvania the end of August.
    Down to 43% in North Carolina.
    He's at 45% in Wisconsin, down 7 points since May.
    These are all states that Obama carried in 2008, and Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio are critical to a Presidential win.
    The conclusion: last night was not a fluke. This is a national trend. Democrats in power have refused to empower the public sector and have chosen instead to stimulate and regulate and legislate their way through this crisis, missing the point entirely.
    Despite the broad dismissal and ridiculous claims from Democrats, NY-09 was a bellweather, and is indicative of what we're seeing everywhere.

Source:
    By Tabitha Hale on September 14, 2011
    FreedomWorks

And to be fair and balanced;

Washington (CNN) -- Republican victories in both special congressional elections Tuesday night either signal a major shift in the national electorate or are really no big deal. It all depends on who you talk to.
    In the weeks leading up to both contests, national Republicans framed the races as referendums on President Barack Obama and the job he's doing on the economy.

So the question at hand: Are the GOP victories in the House contests in Nevada's 2nd District and New York's 9th District a sign of things to come in next year's elections, or were they local contests dominated by local issues that don't really serve as a barometer for 2012?
    "In both districts, the election was a referendum on the failed policies of President Obama and congressional Democrats. Less than a week after the president outlined his 'jobs plan,' voters went to the polls and sent two new Republicans to Washington, overwhelmingly rejecting Obama's Stimulus II," Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said. He added that the election results "should be cause for concern for Democrats across the country."
    National Democrats, however, had a different take.
    "Special elections are always difficult: They are low-turnout, high-intensity races," said Rep. Steve Israel of New York, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. He believes that the results Tuesday night "are not reflective of what will happen in November 2012."

So who's right? And are we reading too much into the results?
    In Nevada, Republican Mark Amodei defeated Democrat Kate Marshall to win a House seat vacated after a senator's affair and resignation. Former Rep. Dean Heller, a Republican, was appointed to replace GOP Sen. John Ensign, who resigned in May amid an ethics investigation after he acknowledged an affair with a staffer's wife.
    Read more on the Nevada special election

Both the Amodei and Marshall campaigns centered on tying the opposing candidate to Washington. By doing that, this election became a referendum, if just applicable to northern Nevada, on who in Washington is more tainted in the eyes of voters.
    Amodei regularly linked Marshall with Democrats in Washington, particularly Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada. Marshall, on the other hand, tried to link Amodei with Republican Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin and his plan to privatize Medicare for anyone younger than 55. In an ad that ran in August, Marshall charged that Amodei had called Ryan's plan "excellent."
    Republicans have represented Nevada's 2nd congressional district -- which covers almost the entire state, except the southern tip and the Las Vegas metropolitan area -- since it was created in 1983.
    When Marshall was named as the Democratic candidate, there was some hope that the party could make the race competitive, but Amodei ended up winning the election by 22 points. That could spell trouble next year for the president. Obama won the battleground state in the 2008 election by 12 points, losing the second congressional district by only 89 votes out of more than 330,000 votes cast.
    In New York's 9th congressional district, the Republican candidate, former cable TV executive Bob Turner, defeated Democratic state assemblyman David Weprin 54% to 46%, pulling a huge upset that few would have predicted just months ago.
    Read more on the New York race

Democrats have a 3-to-1 voter advantage in the district, which covers parts of the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens.
    National Republicans also tried to make this contest a referendum on the president.
    "We've asked the people of this district to send a message to Washington, and I hope they hear it loud and clear," Turner said in his victory speech. "Mr. President, you are on the wrong track."
    But other issues, such as America's relationship with Israel and the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York state, played a role in a district where Orthodox Jews make up a large part of the constituency.
    Weprin was hurt by being tied to the president's polices on Israel, and the vote can be seen as a message from Jewish Democrats who were upset with Obama's policies on Israel, including his position this year that any future Mideast peace solution should consider Israel returning to its pre-1967 borders.
    Read more: Does Dems' loss mean trouble for the Democratic Party?

Former New York Mayor Ed Koch crossed party lines to endorse Turner.
    "I like President Obama. ... I helped get him elected," Koch said at Turner's election night party. "But he threw Israel under the bus."
    The Republican Jewish Coalition says the election has "huge implications for 2012 races in states with large Jewish communities, such as Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania."
    Meanwhile, the National Organization for Marriage cited Weprin's vote for the same-sex marriage amendment in Albany as the reason he lost. Though dominated by Democrats, the district is anything but liberal when it comes to social issues. But looking ahead to the next election, if same-sex marriage is on the ballot in some battleground states in November 2012, it could be troublesome to the president.
    In both races, Democrats tried to highlight Medicare, which worked for them in a special congressional election in May, when they won back a vacant seat from the Republicans in New York's 24th congressional district.
    This time around, "Medicare didn't trump anything and that's got to be a concern for Democrats," said Stuart Rothenberg, editor and publisher of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report.
    "The New York results, in particular, are worrisome for Democrats because Democratic voters cast ballots for the Republican candidate.
    Rothenberg said that in Nevada, "the Democrats didn't come close and it's an other sign of how different the political environment has changed from 2008."
    But how accurate are such special elections?
    Rothenberg warns that it's dangerous to over read such contests, saying they tend to be quirky.
    "They don't predict what's going to happen a year or two down the road. It's often helpful to add a dose of caution in interpreting and explaining special elections and particularly in projecting out from such contests," Rothenberg added.
    Remember, Democratic victories in special elections in 2009 and 2010 were followed by a dramatic GOP landslide in the November 2010 midterm elections.

The Treasury Department has launched an investigation into a now-defunct solar panel company's $528 million stimulus loan, focusing specifically on the federal bank that processed it.
    The loan to Solyndra has set off a firestorm on Capitol Hill, with a Republican-led House committee releasing emails suggesting the White House had pressured budget officials into expediting their fiscal review of the loan ahead of a plant groundbreaking. The company was touted prominently by the Obama administration for its work growing so-called green jobs.
    But the company went bankrupt this month and is now the target of investigations by the FBI and the Energy Department, as well the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
    The Treasury Inspector General's Office said Wednesday night that it too, is investigating the loan, because it was processed by Federal Financing Bank, a government lending institution that falls under Treasury's control. The Treasury's investigation was first reported by ABC News, which quoted a spokesman as saying investigators would "look at everything the FFB had to do with its role in this thing."
    Obama administration officials on Wednesday defended their support for the loan, claiming the firm fell victim to global economic trends but that federal investment in alternative energy must continue.
    The testimony came as Republican and Democratic lawmakers raised sharp questions about the decision that ultimately left taxpayers on the hook for millions, and as the newly released emails show administration officials were raising doubts about the loan proposal to Solyndra months before it was finalized.
    Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., said the program was "shrouded in secrecy and uncertainty," questioning whether the loan represented "one bad bet" or the "tip of the iceberg."
    Jeffrey Zients, deputy director of the White House budget office, acknowledged that Solyndra's bankruptcy will "limit the government's recovery of funds." He called the outcome "very unfortunate."
    But at the hearing Wednesday, he said administration officials provided a "thorough examination and analysis" of the loan proposal and said a "challenging global solar market" has made business harder for companies like Solyndra.
    Jonathan Silver, director of the Energy Department's energy loan office, also said a combination of factors -- namely China flooding the marketplace with cheap solar panels and the European buying market tightening as a result of their economic troubles -- has caused solar-cell prices to plummet.
    "These changes were particularly damaging to Solyndra," he said.
    Silver said Solyndra's projects were considered "advanced" dating back to 2008. "In 2009, Solyndra appeared to be well-positioned to compete and succeed in the global marketplace," Silver said.
    But emails released by the House committee show that the relevant credit committee decided "not to engage in further discussions with Solyndra" in the final days of the Bush administration. After the change in administration, officials restarted the loan review process for Solyndra.
    "A half a billion dollars that was not supported in January under the Bush administration was ... conditionally recommended in March," Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, pointed out.
    Asked whether political influence played a role in the loan being approved, Silver said, "I don't believe so."
    The emails at least show budget analysts felt rushed by the White House to review the loan guarantee in time for an announcement by Vice President Biden in September 2009.

Related Stories
    Obama Officials Defend Solar Loan to Bankrupt Firm as Emails Show Past Concerns

Source:
    Fox News.

Note: If my videos are too small let me know and I'll enlarge them.

Quickies.

Just now; A 6.0 earthquake hits Cuba.

4 hours ago;The United Auto Workers union extended its contracts with General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC early Thursday after failing to meet a deadline to reach a new agreement.

11 hours ago: The chilly IPO market just iced over. The hotly anticipated public debut of Facebook has been pushed back until late 2012.

I am 10-10.

News flash:

Sgt Dakota Myer is about receive his MOH on Fox News.

Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    News flash:

Sgt Dakota Myer is about receive his MOH on Fox News.

This is a proud moment for our Country, Sgt. Dekota Myer, The United States Marine Corps and all of us.
    May God bless and keep the families and those who were wounded and the heroes that made the ultimate sacrifice for our Country in the action of that day.

God Bless America and God Bless The United States Marine Corps.

*Due to the type of ceremony please refrain from any derogatory remarks about the President

Documents obtained by Fox News suggest that for decades Pakistan spread nuclear weapon technology around the globe in exchange for cash, political influence and help with its own atomic bomb program. Among those on the other side of the deals: China, Iran, North Korea and Libya.

The charges are contained in two documents written by A.Q. Khan, the Pakistani nuclear arms trafficker long thought to be the mastermind behind an elaborate global supply and procurement network: a thirteen-page confession to government authorities and a dramatic letter hastily written to his wife as an international manhunt tightened around him.

In a Fox News exclusive, never-before-seen Khan photographs and documents will be featured in an upcoming special: "Fox News Reporting: Iran's Nuclear Secrets," airing Sept. 18 at 9 p.m. ET. The documents include the thirteen-page confession, the letter to his wife, and a Pakistani intelligence service report on Khan. The exclusive photographs show the Khans in a variety of intimate settings, including under house arrest. Fox News is also releasing the documents and photographs over the Internet today.

The extent of official Pakistan government involvement with Khan is a matter of intense and at times acrimonious debate among counter-proliferation experts. Was Khan a master criminal operating outside the system—or was he part of the system?

The documents obtained by Fox News are A.Q. Khan’s version of events. They should be carefully weighed against other available evidence. But with U.S.-Pakistan relations severely strained by the killing of Usama bin Laden and the imminent draw-down of U.S. troops in neighboring Afghanistan, the question of nuclear-armed Islamabad spreading weapons of mass destruction takes on a new urgency.
    At one time, Khan feared his own government might kill him.
    “Darling,” he writes to his wife in December 2003, “if the government plays any mischief with me take a tough stand.” He warns her, “they might try to get rid of me to cover up all the things (dirty) they got done by me in connection with Iran, Libya & N. Korea.”
    A scientist and strong-willed bureaucrat known as “the father of the Islamic bomb,” Khan was a popular figure in Pakistan.
    But prodded by the United States over mounting evidence of smuggled nuclear shipments to Libya, Pakistan began tightening the noose around Khan in 2003.

In early 2004, the ISI, Pakistan’s Directorate of Inter-Services Intelligence, brought Khan in for questioning. Khan’s written confession is a result of those sessions.In February 2004, Khan appeared on Pakistan television and offered a brief confession. The next day, President Pervez Musharraf pardoned Khan and sentenced him to house arrest. In recent years, the terms of Khan’s house arrest have been modified, but he remains under tight government control.
    In his televised confession, Khan put the blame on himself, saying that “proliferation activities…over the last two decades” were “inevitably initiated at my behest.”
    The documents, revealed in full here for the first time, suggest a different story.

On China, Khan writes in the letter to his wife: “We had cooperation with China for 15 years. We put up a centrifuge plant at Hanzhong. We sent 135 C-130 plane loads of machines, inverters, valves, flow meters, pressure gauges.” From China, Pakistan received “drawings of nuclear weapons” and fifty kilos of “enriched uranium”—a key component for a nuclear bomb.

On North Korea: “Gen. Jehangir Karamat took $3 million through me from the N. Koreans and asked me to give them some drawing and machines” related to uranium enrichment. General Karamat was Pakistan’s Army Chief of Staff from 1996 to 1998 and ambassador to the United States from 2004 to 2006.
    In an email to Fox News, General Karamat of Pakistan said “I categorically deny this baseless allegation.” The claim that he accepted money from Khan, he wrote, is “preposterous, false and a malicious fabrication.”

Read General Jehangir Karamat’s letter to Fox News here.

Fox News did not receive a response to emails to North Korean authorities requesting comment on Khan’s claims.

On supplying Iran with nuclear material, Khan writes that he gave “a set of drawings and some components to the Iranians,” as well as “the names and addresses of suppliers.” He writes that he was directed to do so by Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto’s defense adviser, General Imtiaz Ali, “probably with the blessing of BB.” General Imtiaz died in 2003.
    In a note on the letter’s margin, Khan says the documents and parts were delivered to Iran by a Bhutto family confidant.
    “Must have got money for it ($1 million).”

On Libya—the immediate source of his 2004 downfall—Khan is evasive. “If the Libyans have any papers/drawings bearing our name or signatures,” he writes in the confession, “they must have obtained them from Farooq [a Sri Lankan working with Khan], Tahir or our old suppliers.” But the game was up. Khan’s associate, Tahir, was in custody in Malaysia. The CIA had been closely tracking the Libyan supply operation.
    Khan declined Fox News requests for an interview.
    In the letter to his wife, Khan is desperate; in the confession, defiant. “Without my knowledge and experience, Pakistan could never—repeat never—have become a nuclear power. It was only because of my initiative, knowledge and achievements that our nation can walk straight and tall today!”

His dealings with other countries, he says, were largely a matter of Pakistani foreign policy. “I have done nothing against the interests of Pakistan and whatever I did could not have resulted in the proliferation of nuclear weapons. It was primarily meant to keep up our friendship with those countries that had been helping Pakistan from time to time.”
    Pakistan officials did not respond to Fox News requests to discuss Khan’s claims.

Fox obtained the documents from Simon Henderson, a senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. While some of the contents of the Khan documents have been reported by other news organizations, they have never been released to the public. Until now.
    Read A.Q. Khan’s entire thirteen-page confession here.

Read A.Q. Khan’s letter to his wife here.

Fox News also obtained from Henderson a Pakistan government report based on the questioning of Khan and others by the ISI. Sources tell Fox News that the ISI report was circulated to Western intelligence agencies after Pakistan refused to produce Khan for questioning
    The report says nothing about China or North Korea.
    Read the ISI report here.

“Fox News Reporting: Iran’s Nuclear Secrets” is the result of an 18-month international investigation into Iran’s nuclear program.

The special will offer new details on Saddam Hussein’s obsession with Iran, including an interview with his FBI interrogator; exclusive photos of A.Q. Khan; analysis of the Khan documents; new satellite photos; and details of China’s role in alleged proliferation activities.

Read the Fox News exchange with the Government of Iran.

Read the Fox News exchange with the Government of China.

Thread Information