I remember...
Create Post

Thread: I remember...

I remember...

Being a Sergeant on the night crew with HMT-301. I was NCOIC of Hydraulics for that shift. Had about a squad of men on the average. Sometimes more, somtimes less. One night, after having made the maintenance assignments and getting everyone off to their respective jobs, depending on skill and relative abilities, checking the paperwork, catching upon the duty log, and reporting to Maintenance Control, I was sitting in the shop, checking the completed Vids/mafs to see what would need CDI stamped. I realized that one of my Marines was a bit overdue. He was a new L/Cpl, somewhat inexperienced, but very intelligent and squared away. He was learning fast. I'd sent him out to replace the first stage hydraulic manifold on a CH-53. Not very complicated, but it was involved, several high pressure lines and two rather important pressure switches. The component normally took about fifteen minutes to replace. He had been gone for forty-five. WTF was up with that? So I went looking for him. Found him right where he was supposed to be. (L/Cpl Calvin R. Boyce, a black kid from southern Texas.) It was of course dark on the flight line and a new moon. Just flahlights and reflected city lights of Santa Ana and Tustin to see by. I climbed up and asked him what the problem was. Said he couldn't do it. It wouldn't fit. Didn't make much sense. He'd done this job several times before. I'd trained him. I knew he knew what to do. So I walked him through it again. No go. One more time. No go. "OK Boyce. hold the flashlight and let me have a go at it." 45 minutes later I started cussing. Ten minutes of non-stop Marine NCO profanity. I glanced up when the lighting wobbled. All I could see were the round as baseball whites of his eyes and his teeth in his wide open mouth."What's the matter?" I growled. "I. I. I never heard anyone cuss like that before, Sergeant Bonesteel!" I sat back and laughed. Five minutes later I had the job finished. It was a *****. Mount holes just wouldn't line up.

If ya was a grunt ya would have used a pilot tool Bro..U Wingers could learn more if ya listened to suggestions from the Basic Marines,
    Wingers with there feet on the ground need 2 look around. If they do they will C grunts pounding it and U still Basic Marine
    all good clean fun Brother.
    remember they is always a easier way.
    if it moves.. shoot it..if it don't...paint it !!
    thanks for keepin the Air Machine runnin, grunts Luv ya Wingers!!

Thread Information