Poolee heading to boot camp next monday, Help!
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Poolee heading to boot camp next monday, Help!

To start, I signed into the Marines and gave my oath to the constitution because I heard the calling. Felt it more likely. Ever since I can remember my family has joined the military, 2 brothers in the army, uncle in the air force, grandpa was army and airforce. I look back at them and how proud they were, but I could not help but to realize that non of them were in the marines. I want to be apart of something thats bigger then myself, something to make my family proud and make me somebody someone respects. I want that brotherhood more then anything, to serve the flag and everything it stands for.There is always a "but" though isnt there. I became a Poolee almost a year ago, that was a month after my 17th birthday. Since then ive had about 4 Recruiters, Some I didnt even know untill 2 months went by,I got messed up with some people that I thought were friends. My point is, Since I signed I havnt been exactly "motivated" to go to the poolee events, I would rather hang out with my friends. That was a mistake. I did go to poolee events and man I couldnt walk the next day, And thats where im asking for help. I weigh 213, and im 6'3, I can only do about 4 pull ups,80 crunches and run the mile in a half in about 12 minutes. I didnt get motivated to start getting my **** togethor untill I realized that I made a commitment to the Marines and im not going to fail them because I know they won't fail me. My uncle is to thank for that. Im asking former poolees and current Marines on what I should do at boot camp to deal with the physical stress on my body, I mean im not fat, just have a little meat on the bones. Other advice about Boot Camp will be greatly appreciated. P.s/ Boot Camp is at camp pendleton.//Also, I posted it in the former Poolee forum but I didnt know if that was the right place.

To start off with....how about filling out more of your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to.
    Double posting isn't allowed.
    Try doing a search on the site and you'll get the answers to your questions.
    Recruit training on the west coast is at MCRD San Diego.
    http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/mc...s/history.aspx

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I filled out the info on my profile, I apologize I just made an acount today. Thanks for the link! any personal experiences?

Honestly, I don't know what you're stressing out so much about. Are you a little behind the power curve physically? Maybe. But not by much. You're not over your max weight. You're crunches and run time are a decent starting point. You're pullups obviously need a lot of work, but they'll get better after a few weeks of boot camp. You weren't motivated before, but sounds like you are now. Sounds to me like you just have the jitters... which is normal. In fact, you should be nervous. It's going to be a lot of work. Yes, it is going to suck. But is sucks for everyone. Just get ready mentally, and you'll do fine.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well, I guess im mainly worried about how the PT will affect my body and even if I will even be able to walk after day 3. Every time ive given it all at the poolee events I go home and can't move my body, and in boot camp there going to make me do a lot more then just an hour in a half of PT in a day.

The drill instructors are very motivating. Your whole body may ache, but when your DI gets in your face, you're just going to do it. And you're not going to even think about it. Is it a lot of PT? Of course. It's boot camp. But it's not like you're running a marathon every day. Again, stop worrying so much. Incredible physical accomplishments are achieved by having a stronger mental attitude than a stronger body. If this is something you want, then you'll make it. If it's something you believe you can do, you'll make it. If you're willing push yourself to your limits, you'll make it. Henry Ford said, "whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right".

Too late to do anything about it now.

Don't worry about it. Do what you're told. You're 18. You can handle it and so can your body. So, yeah, when you start your PT, you might ache. You'll live. After a week, you'll adjust.

Just don't quit and bellyache. Don't walk during runs. Don't be a whimp!

It's 90% mental anyway. You'll do fine.

Credits
    Savings
    All sound advice
    The biggest challenge is mental
    Of course your body has to keep up,but not to concern
    Your DIs are highly trained to motivate people

He'll the sand fleas obey their commands !

You will be in pain, your buddy will be in pain, everyone is going to be in pain. Just remember, they dont stop until everyone is in pain, so put out, give it your all, and you will improve massively.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I appreiciate the advice, I feel honered that I may be apart of you guys one day, ill prey to that! AMEN!

You'll do fine.

As a whole, the DIs don't care about how in-shape you are unless you're below the minimum requirements. They care much more about effort.

Take two recruits - Recruit Adams and Recruit Brader. Adams is a PT stud, Brader is not. During PT, they have a circuit course, and Adams does far better than Bradley. Unfortunately, the DIs notice that while Bradley looks like he got hit by a train, Adams isn't even sweaty. Guess who's going to get quarterdecked after the platoon gets back to the squad bay?

By the way, when you're getting smoked on the quarterdeck, you could be Paul freaking Hamm and they'll still push you to muscle failure. They don't care.

As for soreness, that's part of the deal. Luckily, your body will get used to it pretty quickly. You'll be sore for the first few weeks, and then it'll just be general discomfort. You won't be thinking, "I can't run another mile;" you'll be thinking, "Man, this mile is going to suck."

Thread Information