Graduated in July, willing to answer any questions about boot camp or MCT
Create Post

Graduated in July, willing to answer any questions about boot camp or MCT

Greetings Poolees PFC Addy here, I graduated from Parris Island July of this year, completed MCT and am now at MOS school. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or ask on this page, thanks!

Congrats Marine!

I just want any tips you can give but how was the swim qual? Did any recruit have to be recycled or did they train the non swimmers that well?

Also, don't forget to get your status changed from Poolee to Marine.

No, he can't post in the poolee forum as a Marine.

How much running did you guys do? How much PT did you guys do daily? I've heard it's every day 1st phase, and by the time you reach 3rd phase it's every couple of days. Not counting IT and training evolutions like hikes, confidence course, and the crucible.

Swim qualification is pretty easy long as you understand the basic fundamentals of swimming. When you get to the tank you have to put on cammies and boots they have for every recruit, at that point the biggest advice I could give would be to try and get boots that fit you even though you won't have but a few seconds to do it. I got 2 different sized boots one like 13 and one like a 9 and I wear an 11 so that was kinda difficult to swim with. I didn't see anyone get dropped or recycled because they give you multiple opportunities throughout the week to qual. They call it swim week but if you pass the first time you are done in about 4 hours in one day. Just know the fundamentals of swimming and you will be fine.

You actually don't PT as much as you think you would. In first phase we PTed every other day Mon, Wed, Fri mornings at like 5 or 6 am for an hour or so. We did a formation run like once or twice that was 3 miles and at a really slow pace. The PT overall is pretty easy and by 3rd phase you might PT once or twice in the whole phase because you are so busy with Basic warrior training and the crucible coming up. The hardest PT you will do is the combat endurance course and MCMAP endurance course. Besides that the PT is pretty easy, but it does vary between platoons and battalions. Best of luck to you

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Things change,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks ripper! My swimming has gotten a hell of a lot better so I have faith that I can do CSW-3.

I'm currently running 3 miles paced but I'm going to bump it up to 4, hopefully my 1.5 mile time droped drastically.

Any info on knowledge? I mean the book gives you some to learn but I want to go in with a edge. Also give us the stuff you wish you'd done before you got there and things that us poolees need to heed.

Again thanks Marine....

I am a decent swimmer im no Michael Phelps or anything but I tread water like a rock. I think I need to practice that a bit.

I'm currently on my second wind of swimming classes at the Y. TREMENDOUS HELP!!!!!!

All I have to do know is control my breathing better. From sinking to the bottom to jumping in the deep in and swimming to the other side man, I'm glad I took them but wish I did it sooner as some Marines told me to do.

If you can.....take some classes and I also run in the pool too.....**** IS A REAL WORK OUT

The knowledge part is probably the easiest part about any type of testing at boot camp. In all honesty no matter what you do or don't study now you will know every single bit of it by test time 1st, 2nd, and 3rd phase. You will scream the knowledge over and over all day long until its ingrained in your brain like brushing your teeth. Its extremely repetitive to the point where its almost impossible not to score over a 95 (80 is passing) then you will also take practice tests like 10 times before the actual test. Enjoying screaming diddys in the chow hall line for 2 hours total everyday!!! One thing that would help is your general orders though actually, I had to add that in there.

Also don't forget to study your rank structure, I had to add that in there because its very important even though you will constantly go over it in boot camp

Thread Information