Visiting other bases
Create Post

Visiting other bases

Evening Marines I was wondering if it is too much of a problem to go visiting other bases after boot camp? My younger brother is enlisting in the Army and after hes finished basic he goes to AIT in AZ or TX I believe I was thinking that if I get Recruiters Assistance after MCT I was going to maybe stop by and visit him. I think he will get to his fleet or garrison or whatever they call it in the Army but Id like to go visit him and check it out.

I'm pretty sure a Marine Corps ID card will get you on any military base of any branch.

Yup.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Recruiter's assistance after MCT? you should probably worry about graduating from your MOS first, then make an appearance in the fleet. Believe me when I say this, RA is extremely hard to get. Your better off just taking leave.

Well I hear you can get RA until classes pick up at your MOS school so you arent just sitting around kicking rocks you can get RA until they get a full class and they pick up.

You 'hear'? From whom? And situation changes. Giving someone RA means paying them to travel back and forth, again.

Now, if it's 45-60 days until class pickup or more, that I could see. Couple weeks? Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    You 'hear'? From whom? And situation changes. Giving someone RA means paying them to travel back and forth, again.

Now, if it's 45-60 days until class pickup or more, that I could see. Couple weeks? Not likely.
    My Recruiter sir. My direct recruiter and the SNCOIC of the RSS, also I have met a few Marines who were on RA (they were helping out at the RSS during the mock boot camp). Apparently you find out if you got RA the Monday after you return and if you didnt I believe you can request it then or thats when you request it. Of course im guessing it is one of those at will of the USMC things.

Also I do believe it is one of the things you get it if there is a stint between when classes pick up one of my friends was eligable for it when he went to Fort Lee but didnt find out till it was too late. He was there for almost 3 months before his class picked up.

Sorry for the double tap but I did also want to state for the record that I hope my comment above was not taken as hostility or disrespect I wouldnt do that to you Ladies and Gentlemen who have served. I respect you and all of your facts and opinions, just felt as if I should state that dont want to make anyone think I am being an @sshat or anything.

Nope, I didn't take it that way at all.

But you sorta answered/confirmed what I said....your buddy was at Ft Lee for 3 months...90 days...prior to his school picking up. Sending him back for RA would make some sense.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up and then get disapppointed, that's all.

AND....you still gotta make it through Recruit Training! Eyes on the prize!

RA can be given on permissive TAD (used to be at least) and then they don't have to pay for the travel to and fro, nothing extra, just your base pay.

I did that but had been in for about a year and that was in '79, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Evening Marines I was wondering if it is too much of a problem to go visiting other bases after boot camp? My younger brother is enlisting in the Army and after hes finished basic he goes to AIT in AZ or TX I believe I was thinking that if I get Recruiters Assistance after MCT I was going to maybe stop by and visit him. I think he will get to his fleet or garrison or whatever they call it in the Army but Id like to go visit him and check it out.
    Your military ID will give you access to any US military installation of any branch worldwide (well almost every one). You can't go into certain restricted areas obviously without a security clearance. I am pretty sure the only military base you can't get onto with one is Area 51 in Nevada, which, umm, as you know, "does not exist".

So update on the RA debate I asked about it and I was actually surprised when the dumbed it down enough for me. Here goes, So when I thought I got back from PI checked in with the recruiters to find out if I got RA or not... That isnt RA for MOS school that is RA for between Boot Camp and MCT, there is a different RA for if your MOS school isnt picking up for a few months.

I was under the assumption that there wasnt RA between Boot Camp and MCT but apparently there is.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's possible to get RA between them, I know a few people who have. Apparently they'll do it if MCT is backed up but it seems to be a bit of a rare situation so, obviously, don't expect it.

Thread Information