DEP Reservist and USAA insurance
Create Post

DEP Reservist and USAA insurance

I had a question regarding those that use or have used USAA auto insurance and members thats are part of the DEP.

I intend on joining the Marine Corps Reserve and have gone thru MEPS this past week, however I still have to be sworn in next month but everything else has been dealt with (physical, background, security check etc...).

Due to troubles at home I may have to buy a used car/insurance soon and was wondering if I would be able to apply for USAA insurance. I came to this conclusion because I am joining the reserves and the ACTIVE date is subject to the day I went to MEPS as being part of the military, unlike those going for active duty whose time in does not begin until they ship to boot camp as stated by military personal while at MEPS. Considering, there is no 'reserves DEP" as I have read online, but would rather get the opinion of Marines on what they think?

Thanks.

Being placed on a waiting list in the DEP, delayed entry program, does not count toward military service, and does not generate military pay or benefits.

So....you cannot get auto insurance from USAA.
    https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_...igibility_main

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Whoever told you that is partially right. DEP time counts as IRR time which is on the other end of your contract. In other words DEP time reduces the amount of IRR time on your contract. Doesn't matter if you are active or reserve. You are not considered active or reserve until the day your feet hit the yellow foot prints.

Thread Information