Anything else like "Ears Open, Eyeballs Click"?
Create Post

Anything else like "Ears Open, Eyeballs Click"?

Lately I've been trying to watch every bit of Marines related media I can get my hands on. Ears Open, Eyeballs Click is probably the best piece of media I've been able to track down as it's a compilation of actual footage as it follows a recruit training platoon through their 13 weeks of training. I have noticed though that there is footage of this movie on youtube that doesn't seem to be in my copy of the movie. Did they make more than one of these movies? Also, are there any other things like it? I've probably watched this movie 12 times over and I'd like to see something new..

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks.

Movies just on boot camp or movies, documentaries on Marine Corps?

Just google it. You'll come up with beaucoup load. Even wiki can give you historical info to read. It's all at the click of yo finger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...s_Marine_Corps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_Marine_Corps

Go by the series The Pacific.

Once you graduate, rewatch the movie and just laugh at it the whole time. I watched it multiple times before I left and when I came back, I thought it was a joke. It really does get the point across but it doesn't show nearly any of the good stuff that happens.

I have not seen the venerable "Ears Open, Eyeballs Click," but I can assure you this scene was not in it...
    Scene takes place while pulling butts at Edson Range

....Pvt. Stone! WTF are you looking at Pvt. Stone? Sir, the private is looking at an enormous spider, Sir! Big fan of spiders, are ya Stone? Sir, no Sir! Well, then meet your lunch, Pvt Stone. Pick that MF'er up and eat it or we'll start a thrashing that will break southern California right off the GD continent. Sir, it could be poisinous. Sir! Well. I guess we'll know for sure it was if you die, now won't we? Sir, yes sir! (grab, put in mouth, chew...pretty sure I got bit on tongue, swallow) You're effing disgusting, Pvt Stone! Get the F out of my face! Sir, yes sir!

Somehow, I managed not to vomit.....the point is that you can watch everything you can get you hands on, and that is admirable, but the reality of Boot can't be read about or watched on DVD.

One of my favorites was the Green Monster Series on youtube. The majority of that was fleet stuff, of which you may have not experienced yet.

Score another one for the Green Monster. It's a pretty unvarnished look at the Corps, taking a look at the good and the bad. There's plenty of both, and there's a lot of stuff where you aren't really sure whether it falls into one or the other. You really do have to live it before you get it, though. I don't get half the stuff that the Green Monster talks about because I'm not infantry and I'm in a non-deploying MOS.

If you're wondering about boot camp itself, there isn't anything else. Ears Open, Eyeballs Click is a pretty good look at the training and Receiving, but it doesn't really capture the dehumanizing side of it. The training is kinda whitewashed; there's very little singling out of someone who screws up, and there aren't many games being played. Boot camp is worse than Ears Open, Eyeballs Click, but not in the way that most poolees think it's going to be.

If you're a decent guy, the most common emotion you're going to feel is frustration. You're going to say this a million times - "Damn it, I'm working hard, and I'm still getting smoked."

Of course, if you're a waste of oxygen, you'll wake up in fear every morning. But for 95% of recruits, the default attitude is one of frustration. "Yep, today we're going to wake up and get hazed for something that we have no ability to affect. Gay."

Thread Information